Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wedding in Israel in June: advice & suggestions
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:47 pm
Hello ladies!

My beloved brother in law is scheduled to get married the end of June in Jerusalem. He and my husband are very close, and we were overjoyed when we heard that he had at last found his soul mate. He's 31 years old, and has been through a lot of heart break. We could not be more happy for him!

We made plans to fly up to Israel with our four kids for the wedding. My husband's parents and many of his siblings live in Israel. For financial reasons, we don't visit often, and this was to be only the second time that my in laws would meet my children in person. You can imagine that the whole extended family and my boys were so looking forward to it. I love seeing my husband in his native culture, love my in laws, love Israel...we were all so excited.

I'd love to hear any information, advice, suggestions from all of you. It's heartbreaking to think that we won't be able to go to the wedding, but every time we think or talk about it we get stuck in coronavirus logistics. I just don't see any way to make it work, but I don't want to hurt my brother, mother, and father in-law, who seem to be operating under the assumption that we're still coming.

Are non- Israeli citizens being allowed into Israel? My husband and kids are citizens, but I'm not. If there are flights and we fly together as a family, would we need to quarentine for two weeks before the wedding? Should I be afraid of flying, using public bathrooms (I think yes!)? Where could we quarentine, and what would we do for two weeks with our kids in some empty Israeli apartment? Once we got out of quarentine, would we all be allowed to go to the wedding? How many people are allowed at weddings in Israel these days? Would we need to quarentine again for two weeks when we got back? We've talked about my husband going alone. That would undoubtedly be easier and simpler to arrange. But because of the possible quarentine required it could ostensibly mean saying goodbye to him for over a month (2 weeks quarentine when getting to Israel, 2 weeks quarentine when getting back home, plus two days flight time and the wedding in the middle). Perhaps it's selfish of me, but I'm just not prepared to do that.

I'm hoping someone here has some suggestions that I haven't thought of. Whenever I think about missing it, I just feel so sad.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:52 pm
Mazel tov to the whole family!

At this point, non-citizens aren't being allowed into Israel, so there's nothing to talk about. I think it's best to arrange to have the wedding live streamed.

Come visit as soon as possible.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:28 pm
Why the hug?

banana123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:30 am
Right now, non-Israelis are not being allowed in. In addition, it's not certain that your children will be allowed to attend the wedding, even if you are allowed in - they may push it over the permitted number of participants.

We also don't know when flights will resume.

Your husband might - might - be able to go on his own, but as you said that means not seeing him for a month. Given the uncertainty of the situation at the moment, I don't think you're selfish for not wanting to do that. I think you're being completely reasonable.

It sucks, but I don't think it's feasible to plan on being there.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:39 am
I'm sorry, that really stinks. Mazel Tov.

familyfirst

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:41 am
Hmmm
May consider letting your husband go
Big sacrifice on your part though

Or- save the trip for when whole family can go together fir extended stay
May be even more appreciated than just for wedding

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:34 am
So - under more normal circumstances - I'd say send your husband. But you know what? In these uncertain days, I think anyone who is at home (and especially with their family) is utterly blessed - and how would any of you feel if the situation somehow changed (border regulations, flight permissions, husband chas v'shalom in hospital in Israel for any reason...).

Don't do it. But do go to Israel when the madness is over iyH! Mazeltov!

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:03 am
Only citizens are allowed in, so you couldn't go, even in the context of your family.

At the moment two weeks isolation takes place in a hotel, and you are not allowed out of your room. With children they might be given adjoining rooms, but that would be the limit of their ability to move. How to amuse them would be a challenge. I know a girl going through it at the moment, and she is finding it very hard.

They are talking about allowing isolation in private apartments, if it can be proved that full isolation is possible, but there is no definite date.

Once quarantine is over, they would be subject to the same limitations as any other Israeli citizen. Right now the number of attendees at a wedding is extremely limited, but may be relaxed to allow up to 50 people outside by the end of June. On the other hand, if there is an increase in cases the restrictions could be tightened again. Whether the couple include your children in their 50 guests would probably depend in a lot of conflicting priorities. In some ways it was easier to limit it to ten, when no one got offended.

As for the flight, use your own judgement. Most planes are flying at significantly less than full capacity, and some airlines are requiring masks. That may make things safer, but I can't imagine wearing a mask for that long.

Since we are looking at a significant reduction in the restrictions over the next few weeks, it could be that your relatives are counting on that to enable you to come. I would reccomend saying that as things are, you don't see how it would be possible, but if the restrictions relax enough (in both countries) you hope some of the family will be able to come. Let them get used to the idea that you you might not.

Since you have already put aside the money for the trip, try to keep that separate and use it to come to Israel and see everyone when all of this clears up.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:51 am
There is no way to say what will be any country at the end of june except that international flights wont be fully booked. I advise against splitting up your family because you might get stuck apart for a long time if borders reclose. As much as he wants to be there, he probably wouldnt want to be stuck away from u & kids for 6 months or something crazy. If things are open enough and you have the ability to quarantine & attend, then great. If not, you will live stream and be sad that you couldnt be there but accept that Hashem arranges the footsteps of man. Until closer to, dont use up ur energy stressing over what to do.

essie14

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:57 am
I really really feel for you. This is so tough

As everyone said, you cannot enter the country, theres would be a lot of quarantine involved and you have no idea who will even be allowed to go to the wedding.
If I were you I would save this money for a visit when you can really enjoy being with the family.

DVOM

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:08 am
Oh dear.

Thanks for all the replies.

You guys are basically confirming what I already felt in my gut: I really don't think we're going to make it to this wedding. I was hoping that there was some sort of loophole or angle I wasn't seeing.

How to tell my husband's family will be something I leave entirely up to him. They're going to be so disappointed. So will we!

We'd had a thought to go to Israel next summer for my oldest son's bar mitzvah. I guess now we're really going to try to make that happen! I'm praying that international travel will be simple and safe again by then!

etky

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:28 am
I agree with all the posters who advise not coming.
Maybe you can host a festive meal for some close friends/family (if that is allowed in June) and share a sheva brachot with the Chatan and Kalla and DH's family in Israel through Zoom.

banana123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:35 am
DVOM wrote:
Oh dear.

Thanks for all the replies.

You guys are basically confirming what I already felt in my gut: I really don't think we're going to make it to this wedding. I was hoping that there was some sort of loophole or angle I wasn't seeing.

How to tell my husband's family will be something I leave entirely up to him. They're going to be so disappointed. So will we!

We'd had a thought to go to Israel next summer for my oldest son's bar mitzvah. I guess now we're really going to try to make that happen! I'm praying that international travel will be simple and safe again by then!

They will be disappointed but they will 100% understand....this is a global pandemic, it's not something you made up. Heck, they don't even know if 50 people will be allowed to attend or if it'll be back down to 10. No one knows...

You can tell them that if things change drastically, both here and there, then you might make it. But barring that, no. And who knows? Maybe there will be a miracle. But planning now is just a colossal waste of funds, and I think everyone knows that.

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:54 am
In a sense, it feels ridiculous to try to make plans for eight weeks ahead. Eight weeks ago was the beginning of March...We were looking over our shoulder if anyone coughed, but we weren't even up to Purim and all the arguments about going to hear Megillah, the schools were open. While everyone was shouting at each other, hardly anyone was cancelling their Pesach plans and there was no formal lockdown.

And then the schools closed, our daily life changed in a way we could never have imagined, quarrantine and social distancing entered our vocabulary and our behaviour. We had Pesach under lockdown, and everyone has learnt what covid-19 is... And now we are trying to come out of lockdown, wearing our masks, and without destroying all of our gains. And we still have the audacity to try to make predictions about what will be in another eight weeks!

Don't count on being able to come. But really, who knows?

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 6:32 am
We are in a very similar situation to OP! My brother in law is also getting married at the end of June in EY (we are in Lakewood) and our plans are up in the air. We are waiting until June and will see what the situation is then before making a final decision.

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:00 pm
According to Bibi's latest speech this evening:

Weddings, from Lag B'Omer will be allowed 50 attendants. For chuppah and kidushin only, not sitting down to eat together, and no dancing (except at two metres distance - maybe individual performances in front of the kallah).

If there are no further outbreaks, they may allow 100 or more guests by the end of June.

He said that they are hoping to begin opening up the borders soon, but initially only to countries with low and well contained outbreaks. I doubt this will include America at this stage, unless he capitulates to political pressure from Trump. Didn't say anything about changes to quarantine once you got here.

So, discount all the answers you got this morning, and take it day by day!

aussiemum#1

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 7:56 am
Disclaimer- I am not telling you to send you husband- I agree with the others who say that unless you are willing to have someone apart for you for a while think carefully before splitting and if this isnt something you do often- I would wait till you can do it properly, but I just read....

Some good news for Israel: The Ministry of Health is now allowing tourists who have had COVID to provide proof of immunity plus a test before departing to Israel, and an additional test performed either at the airport or privately funded by the tourist. They must be quarantined only until the test comes back negative. This covers for the possibility of waning immunity but assures with relative certainty (although nothing is foolproof) that there is some immunity and no active infection over the last few days. This shows that the country is planning on finding alternatives to quarantine to allow tourism and travel. This is not yet announced or official policy, but I have confirmed it with the Ministry of Health and I have many reports of people having this type of testing done.

ps- took it from a whatsapp group I'm part of thats uptdate on info

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:04 am
It is very challenging to know whether or not to put down deposits and the like on accommodations.

Only simchos!

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 03 2020, 8:09 am
As a wife of an Israeli citizen you can get permission to enter the country.
https://embassies.gov.il/new-y......aspx

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 04 2020, 9:10 am
Just curious what happened, op?
A month ago you were so in limbo..
Also, if you canceled your tickets did the airline issue a refund?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics