Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools in Monsey
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 02 2020, 11:47 pm
We’re considering moving to Monsey from OOT. But we’re not sure about schools. Where would our high school age girls fit best? We’re a chilled yeshivish family. They currently go to the more right wing BY in our OOT community where there are just basic rules like no tv, internet only with filter and parent supervision, kids encouraged not to have phones until age 16, etc. Gashmius where we live now is not a huge pressure BH. Would it even be possible to get accepted into 10th and 11th without connections? Would it be a huge culture shock?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:01 am
Its opening a new high school for coming year in monsey . Forgot how the school is going to be called . Maybe someone here knows?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:52 am
Okay thanks, that's good to know. Would love if anyone has any info about the current schools as well.

Thank you!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:23 pm
Not yeshivish or anything close. Neither do I have teenage kids.. I can only sympathize with you. Schools are hard. Been there done that and bh settled.
Good luck

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay thanks, that's good to know. Would love if anyone has any info about the current schools as well.

Thank you!

What ages are your children?
Schools have very few desks these days.

forgetit

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:45 am
I wonder if Mrs. Ayala Berney's new school might be a good fit. (its not her school, but she's the principal). Hoping other imamothers can weigh in as I can't remember the name.
Im thinking this both because of the hashkafa you described, as well as because its a small school, which might be nice for newcomers.

rae

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:02 am
Why wouldn’t you fit into Bais Yaakov of Ramapo or Breuer’s?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 6:54 am
I have kids all ages but my oldest are high school girls and I figure they're the hardest to find a good school for. Would love more info about Mrs. Berney's school. Ramapo I had heard wasn't for our type but I don't really know. Breuer's may be a possibility but I heard it's pretty academic? One of my girls is a solid B student, the other struggles in school but is a really good girl, just not academic.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 9:07 am
forgetit wrote:
I wonder if Mrs. Ayala Berney's new school might be a good fit. (its not her school, but she's the principal). Hoping other imamothers can weigh in as I can't remember the name.
Im thinking this both because of the hashkafa you described, as well as because its a small school, which might be nice for newcomers.

I was going to suggest this too. (I'm pretty sure it is her school - not that it makes a difference) it's called pe'er Bais Yaakov.
Mrs. Berney is the kind of person who has stellar hashkofos and many many years of chinuch under her belt. She was my principal years ago and I couldn't have wished for a wiser, more kind principal who "gets" the struggles of being a teenagers and guides her girls wonderfully!

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I was going to suggest this too. (I'm pretty sure it is her school - not that it makes a difference) it's called pe'er Bais Yaakov.
Mrs. Berney is the kind of person who has stellar hashkofos and many many years of chinuch under her belt. She was my principal years ago and I couldn't have wished for a wiser, more kind principal who "gets" the struggles of being a teenagers and guides her girls wonderfully!

Isn't pe'er bais Yaakov only a high school?
My neighbor is there they are raving about the school. I'm hearing great things. They are a typical litvish family.
My yeshivish neighbors go to YSV or Bais Yakov of Ramapo.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have kids all ages but my oldest are high school girls and I figure they're the hardest to find a good school for. Would love more info about Mrs. Berney's school. Ramapo I had heard wasn't for our type but I don't really know. Breuer's may be a possibility but I heard it's pretty academic? One of my girls is a solid B student, the other struggles in school but is a really good girl, just not academic.

Sorry to burst your bubble but your high school kids will not be the only challenge. Every single age will be. Please so not move until you find a school for every child unless you are prepared to home school a couple of kids. Personally know people this has happened to.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 9:27 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but your high school kids will not be the only challenge. Every single age will be. Please so not move until you find a school for every child unless you are prepared to home school a couple of kids. Personally know people this has happened to.

This definitely!
Do not move till your kids are in schools.
First find a school, then find a house.

forgetit

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I found Peer Beis Yaakov's contact info here:
http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Pe!er-Bais-Yaakov-845-440-1300
From what you described, I think its a better fit than Ramapo and Breuer.
Mrs. Berney was in Ramapo and how she's in Pe'er so she can probably tell you more.
I think its under the same 'ownership' Rabbi Kramer, but I might be wrong.

Would Samson Raphael be a good fit? I don't know much about it.
For elementary, I would say Rabbi Portnoy's Bais Yaakov or Chofetz Chaim.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:26 am
I don't see why BYR wouldn't be a good fit too. I would suggest you try a few schools. Don't get set on just one school.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 3:20 pm
I'm bringing up this thread again even if I know there probably isn't any new options I don't know about.
My daughter will be starting kindergarten soon in BJBP. (Fingers crossed schools open!). My husband has been looking at houses very seriously in Monsey, but we won't take out a mortgage until we have our kid in a school. We're realistic and okay with waiting another year, as we know doing proper research and getting into a school takes time. Which schools can we even try?
About us: My family identifies as heimish, leaning chassidish. I went to Bais Yakov of Boro Park, and then BYHS and loved both, would definitely choose the same option for my daughter if there was.
My husband grew up OOT, his father put on a shtreimal and so did he, but his mother wasn't chassidish so he didn't grow up very chassidish, although he does connect with that lifestyle and would love to bring up his kids with some appreciation for it.
We currently don't have internet at home, don't have TV. I wear knee length skirts, shaitels just past my shoulder, etc. My husband works but has a set daily chavrusa, and davens 3 times a day with minyan, and won't travel away for shabbos without a minyan. We keep cholov Yisrael. We have Bernstein Bears and Uncle Moishy DVD's at home, to be used on vacation days or occasions. I'd love something like the mix of BJBP, what would be closest to it, and what would be my next options?
Thank you all.

cnc

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 3:32 pm
Prospect sounds like a perfect fit for you.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I'm bringing up this thread again even if I know there probably isn't any new options I don't know about.
My daughter will be starting kindergarten soon in BJBP. (Fingers crossed schools open!). My husband has been looking at houses very seriously in Monsey, but we won't take out a mortgage until we have our kid in a school. We're realistic and okay with waiting another year, as we know doing proper research and getting into a school takes time. Which schools can we even try?
About us: My family identifies as heimish, leaning chassidish. I went to Bais Yakov of Boro Park, and then BYHS and loved both, would definitely choose the same option for my daughter if there was.
My husband grew up OOT, his father put on a shtreimal and so did he, but his mother wasn't chassidish so he didn't grow up very chassidish, although he does connect with that lifestyle and would love to bring up his kids with some appreciation for it.
We currently don't have internet at home, don't have TV. I wear knee length skirts, shaitels just past my shoulder, etc. My husband works but has a set daily chavrusa, and davens 3 times a day with minyan, and won't travel away for shabbos without a minyan. We keep cholov Yisrael. We have Bernstein Bears and Uncle Moishy DVD's at home, to be used on vacation days or occasions. I'd love something like the mix of BJBP, what would be closest to it, and what would be my next options?
Thank you all.

Elementary school I would try YSV in addition to Prospect

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Elementary school I would try YSV in addition to Prospect

YSV doesn't really accept shtreimel wearing dads. And it's not really to compare to BYBP.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:50 pm
cnc wrote:
Prospect sounds like a perfect fit for you.

Curious what makes you say that?

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 05 2020, 4:55 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Curious what makes you say that?

It's the most similar to BYBP. There aren't really schools in Monsey that are similar to BYBP. It's either all chassidish or all yeshivish/litvish/modern. There's no middle way.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics