Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How can I get more vegetables into my diet?

oakandfig19

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:22 pm
I’m feeling like I’m not eating enough. The recommendation is to have 2.5 cups a day...I find it really challenging with checking for bugs. I just got a huge bag of kale and I found several bugs. What are your tips?

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:26 pm
Use stuff that doesn't need to be checked. Like carrots, peppers, etc. Or get frozen, prechecked stuff (it's pricey, I know) with a hechsher.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:26 pm
Blended vegetable soups with dinner.
I buy a lot of bodek frozen vegetables. My kids love snacking on broccoli topped with melted mozzarella.
I haven’t found an issue with bugs in string beans and snap peas. Both are great raw as an easy snack, and taste delicious pan seared with some olive oil and crushed garlic.

Teomima

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:23 am
About 80% of my diet is vegetables. It's really easy. Try thinking like a seasoned vegetarian (which I am): for me, vegetables are the main, not the sides.

One very easy thing you can do is cook up a big pot of vegetable stew/curry, either on the stove or in a crock. Onions, potatoes, carrots, turnups, beets, kohlrabi...any nice easy hardy vegetable that doesn't require checking. Throw in a can of coconut milk or chopped tomatoe, or both. If you have a clean green (kale, spinach, chard, et.), then chop it up and toss it in as well. Eat with brown rice.

Whenever you cook pasta, add some chopped/sliced veggies to the water for the last few minutes (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, etc.) to cook lightly then drain, together with the noodles. Add sauce of choice.

With just a little bit of seasoning, even simple oven roasted veggies are amazing. Add a bit of balsamic vinegar to really elevate roasted cauliflower and cabbage, or curry powder on broccoli.

Try multicolored carrots/beets/potatoes, sliced/cubed and roasted (all you need is olive oil and salt, though other seasonings never hurt), for a visually stunning dish that requires very little effort.

One of my favorite snacks is pickled veggies. It's so easy. Chop up cabbage, toss in some salt, and leave to wilt a bit. Meanwhile slice up carrots and kohlrabi (or whatever veggies you prefer). Rinse and drain the cabbage them cover all the veggies in a light brine of water, sugar, some vinegar, and a bit of salt. Exact amounts don't matter, make it to your taste. I like it on the sweet side so I add extra sugar, but you can go heavier on the vinegar or salt if you prefer. Leave in the fridge. It will be ready in a day or two and will last a long time.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:12 am
The recommendation is 5 to 7 servings a day of veggies and fruit, right? I eat a banana and an apple most days. That's a few servings right there.

aussie2

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:26 am
cooked veggies!
zoodles,
sautee onions, riced cauliflower w/ cheese and marinara sauce makes a delicious side/main dish
sauteed veggies either plain or added to scrambled eggs etc..
roasted broccoli (can add cheese for extra flavor)
I find if I make cooked veggie for lunch or dinner makes it a lot easier to get in veggies in addition to fresh..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking