Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Strongly considering shifting to homeschooling. Any advice?

slushiemom

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:35 am
Hey veteran homeschoolers,

One of the main things I've taken away from these past 2 months is that I'm shocked at how much I love having the kids home, and having them learn in their own way. I've always hated school, both for myself and for the kids, but I never really considered homeschooling. Now I am.

I have 3 kids, boy grade 7, boy grade 6, girl grade 2.

The 6th grade boy will remain in school. He's in an amazing special ed program that's doing an excellent job teaching him life skills and helping with behavioral issues.

We told the other two kids yesterday that we're strongly considering homeschooling, and started putting the idea out there. I LOVE the idea of taking their education away from the govt. I love the idea of taking trips with them whenever we want, and being on our own schedule. I'm not good at teaching them specific subjects/concepts so I need a strong online program that lets them be as independent as possible. The 2 kids who we're considering this for are both mature, smart, and responsible, and they understand that this will only work if they put in the effort and take the responsibility of their online studies seriously.

We would hire tutors for some kodesh studies, and any subjects that they need extra help in.

Anyone have advice? Tips? Warnings? Good resources/social groups? I'm at the beginning here, but we feel strongly that this is something we want to try. I don't want to send my kids back to a desk for 8 hours a day!

Thanks all Smile

banana123

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:52 am
First of all you need to check your local homeschooling laws, and see what your requirements are and so on.

Second, it doesn't need to be online. You can buy workbooks and take them to the library and do gameschooling or unschooling or whatever you want.

slushiemom

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:53 am
banana123 wrote:
First of all you need to check your local homeschooling laws, and see what your requirements are and so on.

Second, it doesn't need to be online. You can buy workbooks and take them to the library and do gameschooling or unschooling or whatever you want.

Thanks!! I'm in Israel, I should have added that. I'm of course looking into the requirements as well. I definitely prefer to use an online program as a base, and then add to that.

banana123

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:04 am
slushiemom wrote:
Thanks!! I'm in Israel, I should have added that. I'm of course looking into the requirements as well. I definitely prefer to use an online program as a base, and then add to that.

So for Israel, first of all I don't think there is an online program that fills all the requirements - any such program would be in English, and that would lower your chance of being approved.

There is oniverkita.co.il, where kids can practice Hebrew, math, and English, including practice for the Meitzav test (don't think homeschooled kids take the Meitzav, but it's good to have the option).

There is also BrainPOP but I'm not sure it will "count" as enough for the curriculum. Khan Academy is good but the Ministry of Education is not thrilled with non-Hebrew resources as a full curriculum.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:56 pm
Avivah Werner has homeschooled in Israel, she's a great resource. avivahwerner.com

rkade10

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 1:51 am
I had thought that Israel requires at least one parent to be fluent in Hebrew in order to allow homeschooling.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:03 am
If you're near Yerushalayim, there used to be a group of homeschooling families whom met up weekly in the zoo. I found them through a Facebook group. I have no idea if they're still doing it though.

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:29 am
rkade10 wrote:
I had thought that Israel requires at least one parent to be fluent in Hebrew in order to allow homeschooling.

I truly have no idea. That's not in the list of requirements, AFAIK, but I know that some families (mostly single parent and olim) often have issues.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:45 am
banana123 wrote:
I truly have no idea. That's not in the list of requirements, AFAIK, but I know that some families (mostly single parent and olim) often have issues.

Well, the process as I understand it is very antithetical to an oleh mindset.

A friend who homeschools told me this:

First, your withdraw your kid. Then you register them for homeschooling status.

Then they start sending you letters. They threaten you with court. Everything. You stand firm.

Then they call you to a hearing in front of a panel, where you as a parent explain your reasons for homeschooling.

You don't say that you have a problem with the local school, because then they will suggest you send your kid to a school farther away. You do say you're ideologically opposed to traditional schooling, and will teach your children best at home.

They confer, then give you an Ishur.

---

Any oleh who can withstand that kind of pressure has to be very hard-nosed indeed!

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 4:58 am
chabad has quite extensive homeschooling programs, for the children of the shluchim who live in far-away places...
https://www.nigrijewishonlines.....37114

banana123

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 5:21 am
Rappel wrote:
Well, the process as I understand it is very antithetical to an oleh mindset.

A friend who homeschools told me this:

First, your withdraw your kid. Then you register them for homeschooling status.

Then they start sending you letters. They threaten you with court. Everything. You stand firm.

Then they call you to a hearing in front of a panel, where you as a parent explain your reasons for homeschooling.

You don't say that you have a problem with the local school, because then they will suggest you send your kid to a school farther away. You do say you're ideologically opposed to traditional schooling, and will teach your children best at home.

They confer, then give you an Ishur.

---

Any oleh who can withstand that kind of pressure has to be very hard-nosed indeed!

It doesn't have to be that way, though. If you pull your child out mid-year then yes that's how it works.

But you can request to homeschool legally in May or June, for the next school year. Then the process is as follows:

Child finishes out school year while parent submits request. (If the child is in gan or less than 3 years old, then the parent can just submit the request to homeschool, while the child is still at home.)

The request is received and the local supervisor contacts you to set up a home visit.

The home visit is conducted on schedule. At the visit, the supervisor meets, orally tests, and speaks to the child, and asks the parent questions such as who will be home with the child and why they have chosen to homeschool.

The supevisor goes to the vaada, and together with them decides whether or not to approve the request and for how long.

The parent receives a letter in the mail, stating how long the approval is valid for and what the Ministry would like to see happen by the next visit.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 7:34 am
Ora in town wrote:
chabad has quite extensive homeschooling programs, for the children of the shluchim who live in far-away places...
https://www.nigrijewishonlines.....37114

Yes. It's a wonderful environment with caring and knowledgeable morot and rabbis.
Jewishonlineschool.com
I believe there are Israel time zones options.

Happy Mom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 4:34 pm
Rappel wrote:
If you're near Yerushalayim, there used to be a group of homeschooling families whom met up weekly in the zoo. I found them through a Facebook group. I have no idea if they're still doing it though.

No, they haven't been meeting at the zoo for years. They moved the weekly gatherings to a park in Beit Shemesh.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 4:47 pm
Happy Mom wrote:
No, they haven't been meeting at the zoo for years. They moved the weekly gatherings to a park in Beit Shemesh.

You do realize you posted that on a post which is years old 😀
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling