Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
InstaCart...please explain how it works....

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:55 am
I keep seeing ads for groceries to be delivered thru instacart. Can someone explain to me how it works? Also what is the charge for their services? TIA for helping me find the info I need. I am interested in having groceries and/or paper goods delivered to my home.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:59 am
There is a yearly subscription fee. Theres a $35 grocery minimum for free delivery. The products are a bit more expensive than in the actual store. And there's an automatic tip. Your order comes within a few hours. The shopper can communicate with you via messaging while shopping.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:06 am
You can opt for just paying the delivery fee on a one time basis. I chose the annual subscription because it makes economic sense as I use it a lot.

There are only certain stores which they shop in which is generally the major stores and Costco
The items are marked up. A tip is optional but how can anyone not provide a generous top for someone who is doing this. The workers are not paid well to shop so they rely on tips. I generally tip 15% of my order.

There is a personal shopping service called Dumpling that might work better for you as the shopper will shop at any store with your list. The cost is negotiated by you and your shopper but I have read that it is generally about 25% of order total which is probably what instacart charges but you can send the shopper anywhere and also have someone who you can train

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, May 05 2020, 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

tryinghard

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:11 am
It's an app and website. YOu set up an account and shop through the app. They send a shopper to get your groceries and your credit card gets charged. The shopper will communicate with you about any substitutions that may be needed. You only get charged for what is actually bought. Then they deliver it to your door.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:29 pm
As Amarante said, they mark up prices above store prices. A (non-kosher) friend placed a modest order. They mistakenly included the store receipt for about $51; Insta Cart charged her more than $70. That's in addition to their fees and the tip.

While I continue to use it on occasion, if I'm going to pay a huge markup, I might as well order from the kosher supermarket.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:20 pm
Only some stores are marked up. The app will tell you which. Not sure where you are and what you have available but I get Sprouts, Fry's/Kroger, and Smart & Final at regular store prices.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:22 pm
In my area it’s hard to get instacart
Half my items are missing
They decide on their own what substitutes to get
They mixed up my order with someone else the other person would not give back my order

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:55 pm
I just signed up a month ago. I'm so happy with it. It cost $10 for the month. I mainly use it for Aldi's, prices are slightly marked up. Tip is optional. You can message the shopper while they are shopping regarding substitutions. You can sign up.for free and look through the app before paying the fee to see if it has the stores and groceries you need. The $10 fee is for a month of free delivery over $35. Or you can sign up for a year. Or pay per delivery.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 4:45 pm
While tips might be "optional" it is not very menchledik to have someone go the store - shop for your needs - and deliver them to you and not tip generously for their services. This is especially true when they are dealing with possibly becoming infected as well as difficult shopping conditions with many stores have long lines because they are limiting customers who enter.

The people doing this are not compensated particularly well by Instacart and so most of their earnings are through tips the way waiters earn most of their money through tips.

I tip 15% of my order. If for some reason, the Instacart shopper does not provide acceptable services you can reduce the tip.

And FWIW, the shoppers see the tip before they decide to take your order and many of them will pass on an order with a low or non-tip. And you should hear what they think about someone who tips them $2 after delivering a full grocery order.

The service is well worth it to me when I figure how much time and effort it would be for me to do the shopping.

As I posted, if you want a personal shopper who will go to any store, try Dumpling as you hire the shopper of your choice and you and that shopper decide what the fee will be for their services. I have an annual subscription for Instacart which means that each month only costs me $8.25 but I might try dumpling when my annual subscription expires.

FWIW you can send groceries to anyone you want using Instacart so if you have people you want to send food to, it's an easy way to do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen