Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Spin off of Florida
Previous  1  2

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:00 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
As to why do I care , my grandmother and many other relatives in their 90’s live in Florida and have been begging us to come but we cant for their sake . My grandmother had to go through cardiac surgery alone . And to think that people who might have Coronavirus are going and contaminating those same hospitals filled with elderly infirm people makes me seething.

So if this virus situation continues for months, which according to the experts it can continue for two years, you will not visit you elderly relatives the next two years? It's your elderly relatives choice whether they would risk being next to you regardless if you were exposed to the virus. The need for visitation from younger people may be essential to them.

Do you think that their doctors, nurses and aides are not exposed to the virus? They are exposed as well. These nurses can be there for the and family, out of fear, cannot? That doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by CiCi on Tue, May 05 2020, 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

notshanarishona

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:27 pm
The specifics of my situation are for me and my family and our relatives to decide, thank you very much! And yes, if it would save their lives I wouldn't see them for 2 years. My grandmother who has dementia and is not watching the news does not understand the situation enough to make a clear judgment call. Her nursing home is taking some very strict precautions and trying hard not to make the residents at risk. More than that we can't do. She can't live on her own and she obviously can't travel to live by one of her kids.
As soon as it's safe for air travel and all the doctors agree then she will get visitors again. Until then we are calling and sending packages and facetiming with her aides . THat's the most we can do.

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:41 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
The specifics of my situation are for me and my family and our relatives to decide, thank you very much! And yes, if it would save their lives I wouldn't see them for 2 years. My grandmother who has dementia and is not watching the news does not understand the situation enough to make a clear judgment call. Her nursing home is taking some very strict precautions and trying hard not to make the residents at risk. More than that we can't do. She can't live on her own and she obviously can't travel to live by one of her kids.
As soon as it's safe for air travel and all the doctors agree then she will get visitors again. Until then we are calling and sending packages and facetiming with her aides . THat's the most we can do.

I'm sorry that my comment came across as judgemental. I was not trying to be.

When you share something on internet forums you open yourself up to other peoples opinions, but my tone was a bit too sharp, not because you are not visiting your grandmother, but because if this situation. I will try to edit my tone in the comment...

notshanarishona

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:04 pm
CiCi wrote:
I'm sorry that my comment came across as judgemental. I was not trying to be.

When you share something on internet forums you open yourself up to other peoples opinions, but my tone was a bit too sharp, not because you are not visiting your grandmother, but because if this situation. I will try to edit my tone in the comment...

Its fine, I am not insulted . For many health reasons, my family has been in quarantine since Purim and I have a very hard time with all the people who are making this virus 🦠 get worse and cant just follow the laws until the medical professionals figure things out more.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:59 am
The “positive” tests everyone keeps referring to, months after you’ve had it are simply remnants of inactive viral RNA. The tests you take aren’t measuring whether you’re contagious.

https://www.livescience.com/am......html

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:12 am
I agree with the op.
But honestly I don't take those threads too seriously. There are a ton and I wouldn't be surprised if they are just about all started by the same two or three posters. Very similar writing style, the same exact details, etc. They are hoping for someone to disagree vehemently so they can get a heated discussion going. I highly doubt they are actually going to florida, more likely stuck self isolating in a tiny apartment and desperately need diversion....

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:31 am
People are going to Florida. I just don’t think they are posting on here.

Many boys in my sons class are doing remote learning from Florida to Lakewood.
And they don’t live in tiny houses In Lakewood.
A caterer in Lakewood sent down a truck of Shabbos food to Orlando for this Shabbos.
Ppl are definetly going.

(Personally I’d find it harder to quarantine and remote learn in a home long term without your stuff. Can’t pick up papers from school. Unless husband is flying in for weekends - which I would also hate. Still have to clean, cook, laundry. But I guess it appeals to some).

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:39 am
CiCi wrote:
So if this virus situation continues for months, which according to the experts it can continue for two years, you will not visit you elderly relatives the next two years? It's your elderly relatives choice whether they would risk being next to you regardless if you were exposed to the virus. The need for visitation from younger people may be essential to them.

Do you think that their doctors, nurses and aides are not exposed to the virus? They are exposed as well. These nurses can be there for the and family, out of fear, cannot? That doesn't make sense to me.

I said this in another thread, and I’ll say it here too. My father has cancer and is currently doing chemo. If not going to visit my parents for two years means my father will live longer, of course I wouldn’t go see them. Face time, video chat, zoom....they’re not the same, but they’re the best options, when the alternative is possibly killing my father.

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:41 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

A caterer in Lakewood sent down a truck of Shabbos food to Orlando for this Shabbos.
Ppl are definetly going.

(Personally I’d find it harder to quarantine and remote learn in a home long term without your stuff. Can’t pick up papers from school. Unless husband is flying in for weekends - which I would also hate. Still have to clean, cook, laundry. But I guess it appeals to some).

Quite a few kids in my daughters class have gone to Florida....

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:42 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

Ppl are definetly going.

If the husband is working in Lakewood and flying to Florida for the weekend, no one is correctly quarantining.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:47 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
If the husband is working in Lakewood and flying to Florida for the weekend, no one is correctly quarantining.

I didn’t think of that
In another thread someone mentioned she doesn’t go food shopping in Florida. Her DH brings it all when he comes on weekends.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:59 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Quite a few kids in my daughters class have gone to Florida....

Sure people are going. But they aren't bored enough to be posting about it here and trying to start arguments. I'm sure they planned it out and don't need to post anonymous questions to find out about groceries or mikvahs.

All that said. I truly believe in years to come when talking about this event, they will be embarrassed to say they went gallivanting off to florida. It will become a politically incorrect, gauche sort of thing to admit to.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Sure people are going. But they aren't bored enough to be posting about it here and trying to start arguments. I'm sure they planned it out and don't need to post anonymous questions to find out about groceries or mikvahs.

All that said. I truly believe in years to come when talking about this event, they will be embarrassed to say they went gallivanting off to florida. It will become a politically incorrect, gauche sort of thing to admit to.

Really? They’re not? Go look through the titles of some of the threads since pesach....

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:24 am
Pretty sure they are being started by the same few posters. Just compare writing styles and responses to the other posters on the thread.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:27 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Pretty sure they are being started by the same few posters. Just compare writing styles and responses to the other posters on the thread.

I don’t care enough.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:51 am
Me, either. That's why I stopped opening the threads. Or just read for entertainment value. Certainly not worth getting all hot and bothered about.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics