Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What do you wish you learned as a kid?
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:51 am
Wow I thought knowing how to swim and how to ride a bike is a given parents teach their kids. I didnt realize people out there dont know those things

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:56 am
Basic life skills would have been nice. Budgeting, resolving conflict, organizational techniques etc.

Also things like the science of cleaning supplies, baking etc. I wish I knew what chemicals did what so I could choose products properly.

And I wish someone taught me the basics of marriage and parenthood. Man oh man was I unprepared. I still am.

yonabets

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:20 pm
Computer
To drive

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:38 pm
I wish I knew that married people didn't always agree. My parents never disagreed in front of me, so I only saw the good side, and thought that's all there was to it.

I thought that if a couple had a fight, that it was over. I didn't know anything about marriage counseling, or communication, or working things out and forgiving each other. I didn't know how to make up, let the hurt go, and move on.

Some people have a fight or flight approach to marriage. I don't like to fight, and I still don't know how. Confrontation was punished when I was growing up, and I'm still scared of it.

That means that my only other option was to run away. I ran away from home. I ran away from my first marriage. I ran away from jobs where I didn't get along with the boss. I just didn't know that standing up for myself and discussing things was even an option.

Having difficult conversations is still extremely hard for me. I can do it, but it causes me no end of stress.

Moonlight

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 2:08 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Wow I thought knowing how to swim and how to ride a bike is a given parents teach their kids. I didnt realize people out there dont know those things

Yup. My older siblings learned but I never was taught.
I was taught other things that ppl here were not like sewing, sight reading music, bookkeeping, budgeting, etc
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics