Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is it Safe To Let Kids Play Outside At This Point?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live upstate, a complex. The difficulty is seeing all the other kids outside and telling them they can't leave. If I'd be living in a private home- we would manage it.

Define “upstate.” Finger Lakes? Rochester? Utica? Or Monsey, which is a bedroom suburb of NYC.

Genesee County, to randomly choose one, has had 159 cases and 3 deaths. Probably low risk. Rock land County? Not so much.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:33 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
You do understand that the curve is flattening because people were social distancing. That once they stop, it will not be flattened.

Yes and no. The purpose of social distancing is that the hospitals shouldn't get overwhelmed. Most people got it by now, the hospitals can handle the flow already.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:36 pm
FWIW

I read children under 11 have 0 perc fatality rate if no other health issue
And children very unlikely to shed virus

amother
OP

thunderstorm wrote:
You should be going out with your kids daily. They need fresh air and the ability to move around. You can supervise their playtime and see to it that they don’t play with other kids. They can talk to them from a distance but let your kids at least go out and play by themselves outdoors.

It may be a type but my kids have no interest in playing outside between each others, we've tried that. It's the friends and neighbors they enjoy.

amother
Honeydew

amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Listen I get that its scary. But a. the fact that its only a possible link is less than convincing b. no kids have died as a result of Kawasaki c. its been such a small tiny number that its negligible. Everything is a risk benefit calculation. You make these calculations every day even if you're not conscious of it. There's always a small chance a child could ch'v get into a car accident, get hit by something in the head, catch a different weird illness. But does that fear lead you to never let your kids outside? No.
You know your kids best but I'm a lot more scared of lingering emotional and mental health side effects in my kids from being inside for weeks on end then I am of a potential possibly Kawasaki reaction that happens in an extremely tiny percent of cases.

Why are they inside? Unless they are ill or have been exposed, that’s not required or recommended. If you have a yard, go out. If not, go to a local park. Or take your bikes and scooters and skates and have fun. Play hopscotch. Set up a jumping and hopping course. Jump rope. Hike. Have races. Play catch. Among yourselves. While distancing from others.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That was my Cheshbon. But, this is getting me frightened!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/.....28037

Percentage wise that is such a small minority, it doesn't freak me out.
And we've been super careful here including sanitizing groceries, mail, packages just about anything that came into our house.
But it's been 7 weeks. My husband has strong antibodies. We started relaxing a bit. I don't wipe down every single thing coming in.
We still don't go to other people's homes or get together.
But my teenage son had his friend over to play basketball outside. Both were wearing masks and gloves the entire time and his friend didn't step foot into my house. I allowed it. 5 weeks ago I wouldn't.
Kids need to breathe.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:39 pm
It's safe to let children play outside with their own toys and their own siblings. They shouldn't be playing with other children yet because there's really no way to enforce social distancing amongst young children. They also shouldn't be touching playground equipment or toys that belong to other families unless you can sanitize them properly. As a previous poster mentioned, children are very likely to be asymptomatic carriers of coronavirus so they can spread it without getting sick themselves. The latest reports of complications in children are also concerning.

It's so hard to make these decisions when we don't have enough information and the little information we do have is so contradictory. My father keeps talking about expanding our self-isolation circles to include our two households. If anyone needs hugs from their grandchildren it's my parents who recently sat shiva for a child. I wish we could join together and hug each other and interact. It would be great for all of us. Except. We have been so good at keeping SD until now. We sat shiva in isolation. It has been so incredibly hard. And yet the last thing I want to do is risk sitting shiva for my parents because my kids may be carriers and we have no idea. There's no way of knowing until there is widespread testing and the tests are reliable. So until I can be sure that we ourselves are safe for people to interact with and we know who we can interact with safely, we are staying home and practicing SD. We may be going stir crazy but at least we're living through this together.

If you're really about to give up SD altogether, it would be better to find one family that has also been self-isolating until now and expand your circle to include each other so your children can have playmates and a change of scenery. That doesn't mean that you find a friend for each child because that's too many people, especially if each of their children are also playing with friends from other families. That's far too risky. One family may be okay. I stress may. As I said before, we really don't have enough reliable information yet.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yes and no. The purpose of social distancing is that the hospitals shouldn't get overwhelmed. Most people got it by now, the hospitals can handle the flow already.

Please cite medical evidence that “most people” have gotten it. And since we’re talking about not overburdening the medical system, let’s say 80%. Or about 20 million people in the tristate area alone.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:42 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Percentage wise that is such a small minority, it doesn't freak me out.
And we've been super careful here including sanitizing groceries, mail, packages just about anything that came into our house.
But it's been 7 weeks. My husband has strong antibodies. We started relaxing a bit. I don't wipe down every single thing coming in.
We still don't go to other people's homes or get together.
But my teenage son had his friend over to play basketball outside. Both were wearing masks and gloves the entire time and his friend didn't step foot into my house. I allowed it. 5 weeks ago I wouldn't.
Kids need to breathe.

When the virus started it also started as a small percentage-I am quite freaked out.It was 13 cases two days ago and now it's 64. I heard of kids in Willy and Monsey who have it.
I'm not sure if it's fatal but bad enough..

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When the virus started it also started as a small percentage-I am quite freaked out.It was 13 cases two days ago and now it's 64. I heard of kids in Willy and Monsey who have it.
I'm not sure if it's fatal but bad enough..

Okay so then don't let your kids play outside. All we can do is give you the information. We can't make your decision for you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Okay so then don't let your kids play outside. All we can do is give you the information. We can't make your decision for you.

Discussion, and yes I won't going forward.

tweety1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:47 pm
I heard there's a child on a ventilator in Lakewood from Kawasaki virus. Dunno if it's true though.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Discussion, and yes I won't going forward.

Please take your kids outside every day. It is not recommended or healthy to keep the inside. Go on a walk, ride their bikes... they don't have to play with other kids if you're not comfortable, but they must go outside every day. It's very important.

baker1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:49 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I heard there's a child on a ventilator in Lakewood from Kawasaki virus. Dunno if it's true though.

It is true. I know the child personally

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:51 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
FWIW

I read children under 11 have 0 perc fatality rate if no other health issue
And children very unlikely to shed virus

Actually, no one knows if children shed virus.

We know of one case in Singapore where a 6 month old was placed in care at a hospital when both parents were ill. While he had almost no symptoms, he shed high levels of virus for 16 days. A Chinese study also showed they shed virus even when asymptomatic.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:51 pm
baker1 wrote:
It is true. I know the child personally

Does he have prior health issues?
If Kawasaki is treated too late, it can cause heart failure.

baker1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:56 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

She was a perfectly healthy 6 year old. Very bad fever and a rash they rushed her to CHOP because everything was failing and quickly put her on a vent. Bh some slight improvement today but still very critical. She tested positive for COVID.

Her parents had the virus over Pesach but have been feeling better since

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

Oh for heavens sake.

What she meant to say is are you able to give his name so we can say tehillim.

Stop with the magical thinking that there must be some reason and it can’t happen to your kid. Start davening for this one

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Oh for heavens sake.

What she meant to say is are you able to give his name so we can say tehillim.

Stop with the magical thinking that there must be some reason and it can’t happen to your kid. Start davening for this one

Relax misses!
Why can't I ask a question without getting a nasty response?
I'm not thinking anything.
My neighbor has Kawasaki but he's not a healthy child. I was curious if that's the case as well.

cbsp

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:59 pm
baker1 wrote:
She was a perfectly healthy 6 year old. Very bad fever and a rash they rushed her to CHOP because everything was failing and quickly put her on a vent. Bh some slight improvement today but still very critical. She tested positive for COVID.

Her parents had the virus over Pesach but have been feeling better since

Oy vey. Crying

What's her name for tehillim?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics