Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
The nosh War
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 2:50 pm
gr my dd goes to bnos menachem and they only give nosh for shabbos party

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 2:57 pm
The same in my son's class. As I wrote above, although I hate that part of school, I decided not to fight over it. I wish it was just grape juice and challah like others have posted. It's grape juice, cookies, chips, and candy, all at lunch time. Confused

amother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 3:04 pm
I dont mind at all since its only once a week, and I think its good for them to have a fun party with nosh once a week (not good health wise but I think its ok)

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 3:12 pm
That's one reason why I decided to overlook this one. The program they do at the Shabbos party is really nice and that is where the emphasis is on, not the nosh. The Shabbos party is very dear to my son's heart Smile so I decided to ignore it and hope for better Fridays when he's out of preschool.

suomynona

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 4:13 pm
Raizy, you're a riot.

My son didn't know what nosh was before he started gan. The most unhealthy thing I gave him was potato chips to eat while I went grocery shopping weekly. But once he knows it exists, I won't fight the system and won't make him feel deprived. I don't buy the stuff at home. At least until he knows better, he gets pretzels, ricecakes and whole wheat crackres for snack. He brings water while other kids bring chocolate milk. But I wouldn't ever take away what he gets.
I just don't understand why they feel the need to stuff them with nosh.

I think everything in moderation is ok. We noshed in moderation as kids and I don't think we were harmed. A friend of mine is a real health nut and her son developed juvenile diabetes. I'm not saying there's a relationship between the 2, but it tought me a lesson, that we can try to be in control but we're not.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 4:54 pm
my mother is a health food freak. as kids our greatest treat was graham crackers, and we lived for our friends houses, birthday parties, a siyum etc. None of us were thin then, all of us developed unhealthy eating habits as young adults (and we are all overwieght besides for myself and some others who have changed our lifestyle later). My mother, the only one who really and trully is still into it, has had cancer twice, graves disease, and has high blood pressure and cholesterol.
Now that I think of what she gave us, we weren' t that deprived perhaps I would do the same with my kids but not after seeing how we all turned out and how we rebelled against thsi "craziness" of hers.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 01 2008, 6:17 pm
I also grew up with a parent and sibling with heart problems, so we didn't have salt in the house, nor ate salty foods, but it didn't make a difference in what any of us liked or ate.

To this day I do not care for salty things, and neither do my siblings.

We are going through some cholesterol situations at home right now, and boy is DS complaining !!!! I'm gonna have to give him what he wants, in moderation.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics