Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Is BBC Pride and Prejudice a clean Movie?
Previous  1  2

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:31 pm
Supposedly the nosebleed wasn't staged, it genuinely happened and the director decided to go with it? Not sure I buy it, though.
The New York Times had some fun articles and an interview of the director that explains why she decided to interpret and show Emma's character the way she did. Interesting read.
As far as Romola Garai, (for me) she is Gwendolen from Daniel Deronda and she just doesn't disappear into other period drama roles the same way.
I loved all the casting and acting in this Emma. In fact, I had just purchased the movie so I could rewatch it leisurely to my heart's content, when I saw this thread pop up:)
Anyway, seeing the movie inspired me to re-read the book after not having read it in probably ten years or more, so I guess that's a good thing lol.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:59 am
I actually always liked the 1940s version of pride and prejudice-starring laurence olivier and greer carson. It was light and perhaps not perfectly accurate to the book. It's in black and white though if that bothers you. It's a movie so it's not as long as the BBC ones.

singleagain

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
You know what’s also good, and in fact better? The version of Persuasion starring Amanda Root. Love it! Also the 2008 Sense and Sensibility and the 2009 Emma.

My friend said that 2008 sense and sensibility starts with an unnecessary sensual scene. Just fyi

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:09 am
I absolutely love the BBC pride and prejudice. Just FYI, it’s a miniseries not a movie so it’s about 5 hours or so. But worth it, and IMO, very clean.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:12 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I absolutely love the BBC pride and prejudice. Just FYI, it’s a miniseries not a movie so it’s about 5 hours or so. But worth it, and IMO, very clean.

Where do you watch it?netflix?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Where do you watch it?netflix?

I watched it from youtube

amother
Silver

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:14 pm
Quote:

My friend said that 2008 sense and sensibility starts with an unnecessary sensual scene. Just fyi

Thank you so much for posting this! You're right. I forgot about it since I always start viewing a few minutes in to avoid that scene...it's become automatic and I completely forgot why I was doing it. It's meant to provide the backstory about the bad guy seducing and abandoning a girl prior to meeting the Dashwood sisters, but yes, the scene is completely unnecessary and very skippable. Thank you for posting this so I won't ch'v be michshol anyone.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:29 pm
Quote:
Supposedly the nosebleed wasn't staged, it genuinely happened and the director decided to go with it? Not sure I buy it, though.
The New York Times had some fun articles and an interview of the director that explains why she decided to interpret and show Emma's character the way she did. Interesting read.
As far as Romola Garai, (for me) she is Gwendolen from Daniel Deronda and she just doesn't disappear into other period drama roles the same way.
I loved all the casting and acting in this Emma. In fact, I had just purchased the movie so I could rewatch it leisurely to my heart's content, when I saw this thread pop up:)
Anyway, seeing the movie inspired me to re-read the book after not having read it in probably ten years or more, so I guess that's a good thing lol.

Interesting...it looked like a very staged nosebleed to me. At first I was very annoyed about it but then I decided that it's fun to have a female director running things and upending the standard story arc.

I haven't seen Daniel Deronda and maybe should!

Regarding reading Austen--I have most of her stuff (not Mansfield Park though, which gives me nightmares...it's so dark and it's horrifying to see Fanny completely powerless watching these evil creatures take over), but you know what's so much better than reading it yourself? Audiobooks. I'm really enjoying the 200th anniversary version of Emma narrated by Alison Larkin--conveys the humor very well.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:41 pm
I've never really gotten into audiobooks, but maybe I'll try again sometime. I have a friend who reads books almost exclusively by listening to them. I mostly read on Shabbos, though Smile

If you haven't already read Daniel Deronda, I recommend you do before watching it. I loved the book so much, I wasn't even going to watch it because I didn't want to ruin it by having the image of miscast actors in my head next time I read it, especially Daniel (one of my literary crushes). But not to worry, both Romola and Hugh Dancy were perfect for their roles:) Still glad I read it first, no matter how good the screen version it just doesn't compare. Same for Austen, though I'll always be a sucker for any adaptations of her books.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:44 pm
Still waiting for an updated version of Middlemarch to be produced...

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:47 pm
Can't bring myself to watch any version of Middlemarch. Not willing to take the risk of ruining it for myself Laugh

DrMom

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:29 am
singleagain wrote:

Try the 1995 version. It diverges slightly from the book, but it is an excellent and entertaining film.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics