Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you think school days will be shorter from now on?
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:31 am
I'm seeing a lot of threads where people talk about how their kids have finally calmed down and relaxed, and some others where people say their kids are wilting without social interaction.

I think the solution for both sets may be a shorter school day, and more time for independent play and socializing.

So when SD is over, do you think the schools will modify their structure to suit the children better? Or will it be back to business as usual, stress and anxiety included?

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:39 am
Tacking on: do you think there will be other adjustments in education, other than time? Which? Why, or why not? What would you like to see for your children?

DrMom

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:50 am
Shorter than what?

Some yeshivas learn until quite late. I can see how the kids might be calmer with a shorter work day.
As for my kids in primary school in the Israeli DL system -- the school day is pretty short as it is. I don't think shortening further is such a great idea, unless they plan to use the time much more efficiently.

Also, for families with both parents working away from the house, having little kids home and unsupervised in the middle of the day is problematic.

It would take a huge logistical overhaul to change the paradigm of kids going to school. It may work for some families, but not for all, so I think it is unlikely to change without other major changes happening in parallel.

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:51 am
Until 3rd grade they end at 1:10. How much earlier can they get?
Our afternoons are filled with chugim which I consider social.
In the chareidi schools I don’t see a difference in hours coming.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:51 am
There probably wont be any change at all in terms of when the school day will end. For many working moms, school also serves a babysitting function.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:01 am
Iymnok wrote:

Dr Mom, Iymnok - I meant in foreign schools, where they often end at 4-5 pm in elementary school, plus homework when they finally do get home. BH, I like the length of the Israeli school day, and I think we can all attest that our children see friends and sunshine daily, and are happier for it.

Not too long ago, that was the norm everywhere. Today, my brother tells me that children are learning at desks in kindergarten. Older children get home barely in time to eat supper and do homework, before they can relax a little and finally go to bed late at night.

Will that change, after this experiment in alternative learning?

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:02 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
There probably wont be any change at all in terms of when the school day will end. For many working moms, school also serves a babysitting function.

But could the school offer babysitting in a more social setting? An after-school program which runs from 1-4, out something similar?

I'm just thinking Brooklyn, where kids can't roam the streets, but where there are community centers and Ys. Imagine the school day finished at 1, and kids were either picked up then, or bussed to a program where they had lunch, followed by a choice of playing ball, swimming, doing art, or learning some skill. Preferably with the aggregated students of several other schools. Could you imagine how much fresher those kids would be after having time for free and independent play every day, where they could unwind with their friends or their own thoughts?

DrMom

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:20 am
Rappel wrote:
Dr Mom, Iymnok - I meant in foreign schools, where they often end at 4-5 pm in elementary school, plus homework when they finally do get home. BH, I like the length of the Israeli school day, and I think we can all attest that our children see friends and sunshine daily, and are happier for it.

Not too long ago, that was the norm everywhere. Today, my brother tells me that children are learning at desks in kindergarten. Older children get home barely in time to eat supper and do homework, before they can relax a little and finally go to bed late at night.

Will that change, after this experiment in alternative learning?

I don't know... My kids see friends in school. The afternoon is a bit of HW + chuggim. In the US, at last when I went to school, there were a lot more extracurricular activities in school itself, or built into the school curriculum. Same-same...

flmommy

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:22 am
I wish but no I don’t think the schools will change.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:44 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't know... My kids see friends in school. The afternoon is a bit of HW + chuggim. In the US, at last when I went to school, there were a lot more extracurricular activities in school itself, or built into the school curriculum. Same-same...

Maybe it was just Brooklyn, then LOL in my elementary school, we learned from 9-4, with two 15 minutes recesses and a lunch hour. It was a LOOONG day, and bussing to and from school was nearly another hour each way. Homework took, on average, 2 hours out of the evening. Studying for a test took much longer.

High school was 8-4:30, but most extra-curricular activities happened after school already ended, which meant that joining a committee or drama or computers meant you were there much later... And then homework until you fell asleep over your binder...

Last edited by Rappel on Fri, May 08 2020, 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:50 am
Our schools don’t change anything.
Ever.
I wish they would though.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:28 am
But if the parent body wants change...

sub

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:19 am
School in brooklyn
9-4:15(5 for high school)
2*15= 30 min break
1*10-15 mincha break ( for girls)
1* 30-40 min break

School in israel
8-1:30 ( in hs there were days I ended at 12:30)
2 ten minute breaks

If they started at 8, and shortened the break time, and added sunday, they could come home earlier.
Of course this doesn’t apply to yeshiva boys over 12- they just have the loooooonngest hours possible.

In Belgium the kids would come home for a 2 hour midday break, don’t know if they still do. And that would really be impossible with both parents working full time.

Chugim or extra curricular are not included in tuition, that would be an xtra expense.

They start later and have longer breaks here.
Also we don’t have school on sundays

That is why the days are longer.

banana123

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:20 am
Rappel wrote:
Maybe it was just Brooklyn, then LOL in my elementary school, we learned from 9-4, with two 15 minutes recesses and a lunch hour. It was a LOOONG day, and bussing to and from school was nearly another hour each way. Homework took, on average, 2 hours out of the evening. Studying for a test took much longer.

High school was 8-4:30, but most extra-curricular activities happened after school already ended, which meant that joining a committee or drama or computers meant you were there much later... And then homework until you fell asleep over your binder...

Not just you. Until grade 6, we went until 4. Grade 7 and 8, we ended two days a week at 4:30 and the rest of the time at 4.

I forget if high school ended at 4:30 or 5...but at any rate, sometimes we had free periods and left early. Smile And extracurricular activities of course were not during school hours, only afterwards.

banana123

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:20 am
Rappel wrote:
But if the parent body wants change...

They want more school days and more school hours. Not less.

And the government is already working to reopen tzaharonim....I don't see shortened days in Israel's future.

banana123

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:24 am
sub wrote:
School in brooklyn
9-4:15(5 for high school)
2*15= 30 min break
1*10-15 mincha break ( for girls)
1* 30-40 min break

School in israel
8-1:30 ( in hs there were days I ended at 12:30)
2 ten minute breaks

If they started at 8, and shortened the break time, and added sunday, they could come home earlier.
Of course this doesn’t apply to yeshiva boys over 12- they just have the loooooonngest hours possible.

In Belgium the kids would come home for a 2 hour midday break, don’t know if they still do. And that would really be impossible with both parents working full time.

Chugim or extra curricular are not included in tuition, that would be an xtra expense.

They start later and have longer breaks here.
Also we don’t have school on sundays

That is why the days are longer.

Hafsakat eser gives about 15 minutes to eat plus 20-25 minutes time to for recess.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Our schools don’t change anything.
Ever.
I wish they would though.

You probably send your kids to my children’s school.
The wording gave it away.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:40 am
Iymnok wrote:

It’s interesting how different the systems are,
My children, starting from 3rd grade have school Sunday through Friday.
8:40- 415 Monday -Thursday high school till 5
8:40 -12:30 Sunday and Friday

No extra curricular.

sub

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:56 pm
banana123 wrote:
Hafsakat eser gives about 15 minutes to eat plus 20-25 minutes time to for recess.

Could be. I attended gur in bneibrak over 30 years ago I remember the long break was including mincha.
But it’s still less break time than boro park schools
And starting 1 hour earlier and having 1/2 hour less break time would allow for a 2:30 dismissal

4g01o

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:10 pm
I hope they're shorter days when they restart
My oldest who's in high school finished at 6:10! One son at 5:00, 7 year old at 4.15 and my 4 year old finished at 3:30.

All different times and it wasn't easy. But on the other hand they all received their own time and attention when they came home Smile supper time kind of went on forever Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics