Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Help! New fridge and no shabbos mode 😭

rovacat

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:54 am
We just got a brand new sharp 4 door fridge last night. We didnt realize wed need a shabbos mode. In the past we just unscrewed the lightbulb permanently and were set. This had led lights. Also every time you open the fridge door the motor distinctly is ignited. No way around it. It's the new way of making fridges. So we heard we can get magnets so we ran out and got magnets. But they dont work with the door. It works for a second maybe then the light turns on. Do any of you have any experience with this?? Any advice ?? Shabbos is in a couple hours.... thanks

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:00 am
Now, the light goes on via an electromagnetical mecanism.
You can outsmart it with a small magnet (could also be the kind of round magnets you use for a white board, but the smaller kind. should not be more than 1cm in diameter) Should not be too strong, or else it will move because of the iron in the door...
Take a small magnet. See where it has to be so that the light goes out. In general it is in the center of the upper frame, right where the temperature is displayed...
Stick it with tape at the place where the light goes out...
Same for freezer.
(In my freezer, the place is in the center of the lower frame)

Last edited by Ora in town on Fri, May 08 2020, 8:05 am; edited 2 times in total

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:01 am
I had the exact same problem with my last fridge, and the magnets never worked. If they did work, they'd slip out of place, so the light would come on before you could close the door again, and it was totally random.

There is no way to disable the led lights without wrecking the electrical wiring and voiding your warrantee. Eventually we just gave up, and bought a little dorm fridge to keep all of our Shabbos food in. It was ridiculous that there was this brand new, super expensive fridge, and we were using a tiny one! It only held enough food for 2 people.

I just got a Fujicom fridge, and it has the old fashioned light. It also has this neat little feature where you don't have to tape the switch by the door, because it has a toggle that you can pull down and it will lock the switch in place and keep the light off.

simcha2

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:03 am
I have strong velcro on the back of my magnets. That way I know they're in the correct place each week (the other half of the velcro stays on the fridge in the right place) and it holds them without them moving all of shabbat

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:07 am
simcha2 wrote:
I have strong velcro on the back of my magnets. That way I know they're in the correct place each week (the other half of the velcro stays on the fridge in the right place) and it holds them without them moving all of shabbat

That's pretty genius! I wish I'd thought of that with the other fridge.

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:07 am
You have to hold the magnet in place with tape, inside the fridge, not on the door... tape has to be strong enough.
I use the kind of tape you use on moving cartons...

rovacat

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:21 am
Thanks for all these tips! So we taped one side. The other side we cant find the place where it even works. It's weird. Almost like theres something wrong with the sensor... the velcro is a great tip. I ran to an appliance store and paid 200 nis for these magnets today. So I have the right magent. I will try again. Velcro is interesting. I dont have roon for a small fridge and were a family of 7. I need the space. If not maybe I will sell it and buy a new one with a tremendous financial loss?

simcha2

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:22 am
Magnets only go on one side (on the fridge).

Also, you need to check with one door closed at a time

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:25 am
Or is it possible to use a timer to turn it off at designated intervals and you only open and close it in those times? Like 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours by lunch time, 2 hours in the evening.
Totally inconvenient but still workable.

rovacat

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:28 am
So it seems the magnets are too thick and the fridge thinks the door is open with them in place. The magnets are messing it up....

simcha2

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:31 am
So annoying on erev shabbat. Is there a way to not need the fridge this shabbos and then have a whole week to work it out?

SisterSix

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:49 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Or is it possible to use a timer to turn it off at designated intervals and you only open and close it in those times? Like 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours by lunch time, 2 hours in the evening.
Totally inconvenient but still workable.

I would do this at least just for this week to give you all next week to work on it

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:51 am
rovacat wrote:
Thanks for all these tips! So we taped one side. The other side we cant find the place where it even works. It's weird. Almost like theres something wrong with the sensor... the velcro is a great tip. I ran to an appliance store and paid 200 nis for these magnets today. So I have the right magent. I will try again. Velcro is interesting. I dont have roon for a small fridge and were a family of 7. I need the space. If not maybe I will sell it and buy a new one with a tremendous financial loss?

If you taped one side, it is fine...
You just need one side, the side on the fridge, not on the door...

...and any small magnet will do... I found one on a brooch that turned out to be perfect. a cuboid of 10mmX2mmx3mm

Notsobusy

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:00 am
Did you buy it from a frum appliance store? If yes, call them. They should know what works for each fridge.

giselle

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:06 am
You need to speak to a rav as it may not even be a problem.

frum violinist

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:04 am
take out the lightbulb or buy lots of ice at a gas station and pack your freezer with it. put the important perishables there. or nightbors?

rovacat

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:08 am
The frum guy gave me magnets that sont work for the fridge. I spent 200 his magnets that are too thick to fit. I broke off thinner magnets and taped them on. The fridge seems to be working. I just hope the tape doesnt break loose by mistake. But it's not working for the freezer... I have a spare freezer so well be find for shabbos. It's just messed up to spend so much money on a new appliance and then have to play all these stupid games as if I got a 2nd hand a appliance. I really wanted a fridge that works and suits our needs. If not, what's the point. I'm very upset.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars