Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Help me make my first chicken soup!

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 11:08 pm
I’ve been slacking off.
I’ll be using a 3 quart pot.
Does anyone have an easy recipe?

penguin

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 11:18 pm
If possible buy chicken bones in a net. If not put them in a net (cooking bag). Also add fliegels from cut up chicken if you have. You can add a quarter of chicken too but I don't think you'll need in a 3 qt pot. (If you don't have bones 1-2 quarters chicken should do.)

About 2 carrots, depending if your family likes. A parsnip or two.
Some like a piece of turnip.

(Note: if you're making sweet potatoes for a side, you're supposed to cut off the ends because they are too fibrous. Those can also go in the bag but it does make a sweeter soup.)

Some like a zuccini. I think it gets too mushy, if at all I add 20 minutes before Shabbos.

One large onion, a few cloves garlic, 2-3 pieces celery in another bag. (Could be the same bag but I like to squeeze the veg bag at the end, and sometimes open up the bones & serve a neck or fliegel).

Ideally put chicken or bones in cold water, bring slowly to boil & skim off any guck. Cook on slow flame anywhere from 1-3 hours, add veg in last hour.

Take out bags & make sure to drain well.

You can add a cube or two of parsley and dill (or, of course, fresh is better but don't put in too early.)

We don't add salt as there are those watching their salt, so we add at the table. So I have no idea how much salt to put in a pot.

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 11:18 pm
You just put the.chicken in the pot. Cover with water. Add salt, tumeric an onion and boil it all up. Them add veggies that you like.

ez-pass

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 11:22 pm
I add sweet potato and zucchini at the end of the cooking that way it doesn't get too mushy or turnt he soup sweet. I cook chicken (or bones) and carrots, celery, turnip, parsnip, and onion. I also like parsley and dill. Boil it then simmer for a looooong time. When it is almost ready I boil it up again and put in zucchini and sweet potato and simmer for a bit longer. I add salt to taste.

Rappel

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 11:40 pm
1 onion
4 carrots
1 bunch of dill
Chicken bottoms or wings
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Leave it there for 3-4 hours. Add salt to taste

Tzippy323

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:28 am
I add all the usual veggies, but I also add leeks. They are so good in the soup!

silverlining3

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:52 am
2 celery
1 parsnip
3 carrots
1 onion
Salt and white pepper to taste
Bring to a boil. Add 2 chicken bottoms, face down or chicken bones and lower flame so it only simmers. 3qt pot I guess u can leave cooking for around 3-4 hours.
You'll get so so so many recipes. Good luck deciding lol

Stars

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:07 am
Chicken, water, salt.
Then pick and choose from the following list:
Knob celery
Carrots
Celery
Squash
Onion
Garlic
Parsnip
Sweet potato
Jalepeno
Dill
Bay leaves
Peppercorn

Boil then simmer for a bunch of hours. If it boils for too long you'll have cloudy soup.

silverlining3

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:18 am
Stars wrote:
Chicken, water, salt.
Then pick and choose from the following list:
Knob celery
Carrots
Celery
Squash
Onion
Garlic
Parsnip
Sweet potato
Jalepeno
Dill
Bay leaves
Peppercorn

Boil then simmer for a bunch of hours. If it boils for too long you'll have cloudy soup.

All of these don't fit in a 3qt pot lol
Sounds yum though

chanchy123

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:20 am
I use some sort of chicken on the bone or even only bones I use backs or wings usually but sometimes also thighs.
Chicken
Celery (this is a crucial ingredient)
1-2 chopped onion (big chunks)
Cloves of one garlic
2-3 carrots sliced and pealed
1-2 zucchini sliced and pealed
Parsley
Optional- a bit of minced ginger parsley root kohlrabi pumpkin or butternut squash
Throw all ingredients in a pot, add water salt pepper. Bring water to a boil cover and simmer for at least three hours but I prefer to cook for at least 4-5 hours.
It is delicious.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:23 am
silverlining3 wrote:
2 celery
1 parsnip
3 carrots
1 onion
Salt and white pepper to taste
Bring to a boil. Add 2 chicken bottoms, face down or chicken bones and lower flame so it only simmers. 3qt pot I guess u can leave cooking for around 3-4 hours.
You'll get so so so many recipes. Good luck deciding lol

Ooh yum! I forgot about the parsnip any the celery. I grew up with both in soup, but I don't buy them so often here, so they fell off my list. They definitely add to the richness of the soup.

Also, OP - don't use chicken breast, or any fat-less chicken. A chicken soup that's too oily can be fixed, but one without any fat in it at all will be virtually tasteless.

Stars

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:24 am
silverlining3 wrote:
All of these don't fit in a 3qt pot lol
Sounds yum though

I said pick and choose.

silverlining3

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:53 am
Stars wrote:
I said pick and choose.

Oops, my mistake. Sorry

liveandlove.ima

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:30 am
one big secret on having a ultra "clean" soup is to first boil water & veggies and only then add chicken...

silverlining3

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:41 am
mocha wrote:
one big secret on having a ultra "clean" soup is to first boil water & veggies and only then add chicken...

Another tip I got, put in chicken bottoms skin down

Rappel

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:14 am
silverlining3 wrote:
Another tip I got, put in chicken bottoms skin down

What does that do?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 8:50 am
Best made NOT erev Shabbos but it'll be ok.
Chicken bones pre-netted can be pricey, depending on where you live.
Bones are great for a soup but if you're making a small one, use chicken and have it for supper that night.
For a 3 qt pot, I wish I could tell you how much chicken to put in. Here's what else I put in besides bones/chicken: pupiks, carrots, onion, parsnip. I like celery but not every one does. When I have it, I put in fresh dill in a filter bag; I'd totally add celery leaves.

Bring to a boil. Skim off the bubbly stuff as best as you can. Reduce to a simmer and try to let it go for a few hours. (That small a pot, Idk. Maybe let it reduce and add a cup of water.)

When it's done, let it cool. Separate the liquid. You can put in whatever you want for serving. The veg., meat, etc. Here's why it's best made earlier in the week: Refrigerate it, and skim the fat off the next day/evening. I usually make a big pot and separate into several week's worth of containers.

Personally, I don't add salt. My kids like to though.

cbg

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:03 am
Basically you need bones salt water and time
After the broth is done you can cook whatever you want in the soup

Roots

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:53 am
super easy and super yummy
saute onions in a bit of oil- (1-2 onions)
add chicken peices that you are using- breast, wings, wtvr
add any veggies u have at home, I always put carrots and potatoes (if u have celerey it really adds flavor- slice a stalk)
add water till the top and bring to a boil (if u have celery leaves they really add flavor- I then take out when I finish cooking)
cook for an hr
add salt and pepper
taste to check that u made it salty enough
beteavon!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus