Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Melatonin- does it cause your kids to wake up...

medola

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:25 pm
Does anyone ever experience their child waking up
in the middle of the night and not being able to fall back asleep for an hour or two especially after giving them melatonin? Or any other adverse effects from
Melatonin?
DH is convinces that melatonin is linked to our kids waking up and their whole sleep schedule going wonky. We rarely use it bc of this but there are some (all) nights that it would be a total sanity and Shalom bayis saver! I am convinced that they wake up either way, perhaps at the end of a sleep cycle or what have you - and that melatonin is not the bad guy in this equation.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:33 pm
Yes. It took me a while to figure it out, but on the nights we give it to dd she wakes up at 3am and stays up for hours. I wish I had something else to give her. It takes her very long to fall asleep.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:50 pm
Yes my child was like this. We spoke to a neurologist who told us that there is a small percentage of kids who do not metabolize melatonin well and have this effect from it.
We give magnesium morning and night and methylated b complex morning and noon and Bh doing a lot better with the sleep. Not perfect, but falling asleep within an hour and not really waking at night.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:59 pm
Yes, it does have that effect on some people. Valerian root was recommended to me for my child. You can get it in dropper form with a hechsher from Amazon.

mommy12

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:06 pm
We have that with one of our kids.

medola

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:20 pm
Interesting! And not what I wanted to hear! What about CBD??

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:21 pm
I find that if I give too much melatonin it causes the wake ups or bad dreams.
I give the smallest amount possible, and that has worked without the wake ups

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:27 pm
Stopped using it after 2 children had reverse effect. Banging head

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:27 pm
Yes I noticed that too, on those rare times I use it.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 11:52 pm
Yes, some kids wake up after 5-6 hours.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:26 am
medola wrote:
Does anyone ever experience their child waking up
in the middle of the night and not being able to fall back asleep for an hour or two especially after giving them melatonin? Or any other adverse effects from
Melatonin?
DH is convinces that melatonin is linked to our kids waking up and their whole sleep schedule going wonky. We rarely use it bc of this but there are some (all) nights that it would be a total sanity and Shalom bayis saver! I am convinced that they wake up either way, perhaps at the end of a sleep cycle or what have you - and that melatonin is not the bad guy in this equation.

yes, like clockwork. If I gave it at 8, he is up at 1 AM. etc.
I now give a 1/4 of the 1mg tablet and it helps him fall asleep and no issues with waking up

seeker

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:15 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I find that if I give too much melatonin it causes the wake ups or bad dreams.
I give the smallest amount possible, and that has worked without the wake ups

This sounds worth a try.

I have two kids, one who needs melatonin (does not fall asleep without it, falls asleep much better with it and sleeps well with it) and one who is better off without it (usually falls asleep with routine and sometimes time, when I gave melatonin she had bad dreams). My thought is that the one who doesn't need it has enough in her body naturally, so maybe giving her melatonin is the equivalent of imamother giving too much melatonin.

I buy melatonin that comes in drops and give a fraction of a dose. Took a bit of trial and error to find the perfect amount. In other words, the dose is something like 1 dropperful = 2mg (usually the kids chewies or whatever are 1mg) and I give just a couple of drops out of that dropper.

Jewishmom8

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:42 am
YES
That is why I took my daughter off of it.
She still has some trouble falling asleep but at least when she falls asleep she sleeps the whole night.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:06 am
Did you try the mellowchew or the mellowdrops? I bought mellowdrops abt 18 months ago and only used it 2x. But I bought the drops cuz 10 drops equals 1 chew therefore I could end up giving less than the chew. A chew you can't break into 10 pieces.

thinkermother

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 3:29 am
yup. one kid consistently woke up with bad dreams whenever I gave her some

meme6

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:55 am
Yup that’s my kids I stopped giving it at all used to use it every so often, totally not worth it.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 11:48 am
I read somewhere that you only supposed to give 0.03 mg. It’s more effective and healthier.

Sundown Melatonin 300 mcg, 120 Tablets (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....RHM26
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics