Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Im very bad at it

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 11:53 pm
Im very ontop of my children's laundry or anyone's in the house . Cleaning the house , making sure we are all put together. One thing im not learning yet , is: "boys tzitzez".
I have a bunch of boys kh, and tzitzez is the only thing that I wait for them to bring it to me. and if they dont it does not get washed or taken care of. First world's problem. They never bring it to me and it never gets washed. For me its a very big hassle to run after them to give it to me, Yet I iron only once in 2 weeks. tzitzez needs massive ironing too,
I have only 1 boy that wears the wool, even harder . He keeps loosing his tzitzez, untill he is left with 1 which he never never gives to me to wash it. last time was erev passach when it was last washed, It makes me feel like a dysfunctional parent. Im Good with any other house task , or hygiene course, Its just tzitzez that I just cant keep up , not catching up , I wash it separately too , So I have to wait untill I washed all full loads until I get to the tzitzez. that ends erev shabbos,
then again it comes to mind . I havent washed yet my boys tzitzez.

Do you wash your boys tzitzez separately or together with all white laundry?
Do u iron it?
How do u manage wool?
I have this 1 son that only wants wool. I think for the house cotten is most practical.
How much from wool tzitzez is the average to own pair boy?

I would love to hear tips on this ?
And am I the only dysfunctional parent that cannot take care of tzitzez?
Ok . Time for a girl then.
And btw, thats my hardest part of my boys in my house . Otherwise they are lovable!

Busy@mom

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:48 am
Not sure if this helps since I only have one boy with tzitzes and he is 3. I wash his cotton together with whites and I put a sock on the strings to prevent it from forming one husband's. I don't iron it. He uses a wool only shabbos so it doesn't need often washing. I hand wash it together with my husbands.

zaq

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:18 pm
You're totally NOT a dysfunctional parent or even a dysfunctional housekeeper. You're not a maid--it's your ds responsibility to hand in their washing. In fact, many moms have their kids do their own washing once they reach an age at which they are capable of following instructions and can be trusted with an appliance. Make yourself and your future daughters-in-law happy by teaching your sons household skills now. The COVID lockdown is the perfect time to do this.

Why are you making work for yourself? Don't iron tzitzis. Teach your older boys to iron if they like the look. Unless they're very wild, boys of ten are old enough to learn how to iron. Tzitzis is a great way to start because it's just straight ironing, no awkward things to work around like collars and sleeves. Teach them to wash their own tzitzis by hand, which is the best way. A washboard helps, if you can find one in a hardware store, but isn't a must. By the time a boy is seven or eight he is more than capable of washing his own tzitzis by hand. maybe even six if he's the responsible sort.

Your job will be to remind the boys that it's time to wash their tzitzis, not to wash it for them.

To machine wash, put strings in a white sock, tie the sock itself in a knot, and put the whole thing into a mesh bag and wash on gentle. Wool must be washed in cold water. Cotton should be washed in hot water.

There's no required number of tzitzis a boy should have, it depends on how often they can be washed. If a person washes one every night or every other night and hangs it to dry, all he needs is two or three for every day. If it's going to be washed only once in two weeks, he obviously needs more.

avrahamama

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:22 pm
I use the magen tzitzit a while bunch of them. They're the best. And I even do my husband and sons tallit. Gentle cycle, woolite.

All tzitzit get air dried

thriver

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:35 pm
Wow. You are supermom. I don’t iron anything...! Bad at laundry means no one has clean clothing, not non-ironed Tzitzis 😆

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:20 pm
zaq wrote:
You're totally NOT a dysfunctional parent or even a dysfunctional housekeeper. You're not a maid--it's your ds responsibility to hand in their washing. In fact, many moms have their kids do their own washing once they reach an age at which they are capable of following instructions and can be trusted with an appliance. Make yourself and your future daughters-in-law happy by teaching your sons household skills now. The COVID lockdown is the perfect time to do this.

Why are you making work for yourself? Don't iron tzitzis. Teach your older boys to iron if they like the look. Unless they're very wild, boys of ten are old enough to learn how to iron. Tzitzis is a great way to start because it's just straight ironing, no awkward things to work around like collars and sleeves. Teach them to wash their own tzitzis by hand, which is the best way. A washboard helps, if you can find one in a hardware store, but isn't a must. By the time a boy is seven or eight he is more than capable of washing his own tzitzis by hand. maybe even six if he's the responsible sort.

Your job will be to remind the boys that it's time to wash their tzitzis, not to wash it for them.

To machine wash, put strings in a white sock, tie the sock itself in a knot, and put the whole thing into a mesh bag and wash on gentle. Wool must be washed in cold water. Cotton should be washed in hot water.

There's no required number of tzitzis a boy should have, it depends on how often they can be washed. If a person washes one every night or every other night and hangs it to dry, all he needs is two or three for every day. If it's going to be washed only once in two weeks, he obviously needs more.

Thank you so much for your advice. Really sounds like something I should to start doing with them and teach them . Great post! Thanks

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:22 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I use the magen tzitzit a while bunch of them. They're the best. And I even do my husband and sons tallit. Gentle cycle, woolite.

All tzitzit get air dried

Whats magen tzitzez?

Cotten tzitzet creases terribly ...

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whats magen tzitzez?

Cotten tzitzet creases terribly ...

Is he wearing the tzitzis over his clothes? Otherwise, who cares if you’re not seeing it?

happy chick

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:30 pm
Iron tzitzis? If you hang dry it and pull it straight before, it dries beautifully.
And why would any kid need more than 2 pairs? Some of mine have only 1. They don't wear it on their skin, and it goes under their shirt so it stays clean. Tzitzis get washed once every 2 weeks, maybe even once a month.
Cotton get washed w reg detergent either matching or hand. Wool get washed by hand in woolite. All get hung dry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry