Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Summer Camps And Daycamp
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Or camp directors will rally very hard to be able to open and promise from here to tomorrow to keep everyone on lockdown. And then cheat cheat cheat. This one leaving for a family thing. That one just going to mikva. This one going to his bungalow for just one day because he had covid in April and his co-counselor and his family so what's the difference. And then all these one time exceptions across a bunch of different camps will be the cause of inflammatory imamother threads here there and everywhere. Oh and maybe deaths but who cares about those anymore, as long as there is camp.

This is what's concerning me.

Forget imamother threads. The population there doesn't love us too much and this has potential for inflaming even more hate.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:26 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Or camp directors will rally very hard to be able to open and promise from here to tomorrow to keep everyone on lockdown. And then cheat cheat cheat. This one leaving for a family thing. That one just going to mikva. This one going to his bungalow for just one day because he had covid in April and his co-counselor and his family so what's the difference. And then all these one time exceptions across a bunch of different camps will be the cause of inflammatory imamother threads here there and everywhere. Oh and maybe deaths but who cares about those anymore, as long as there is camp.

Actually, it's the camp directors that DON'T want to open the camps, and it's the PARENTS pushing for it. So, no, they DON'T want to cheat. They have nothing to gain out of a summer playing catch me if you can.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:36 am
Interesting. I've heard from quite a few parents that dont know how they'll pay for camp now that they've lost their jobs. Sad

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:57 am
I've been to camp myself for many years and have sent my kids as well.

Campers - children are going to eat six feet apart? Play six feet apart? How about color war, field day, performances?
Also, while the boys are engaged in learning a large part of the day, the girls are not. If there's no pool, no contact sports, no trips, all activities must be done with SD, what exactly will they be doing all day -- storytime and arts and crafts?

Staff - All staff in boys and girls camp are generally married with families living in crowded bungalows with a minimum of space. They won't sneak out to Walmart for some essential like pampers?... go to mikva, take their kids to the dr and myriad other daily needs? How about the working spouse, older child working in the city, your convinced they won't come join the family for 2 months? Really!?

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool everyone all the time.....Theres no way it can be done by following the rules as they are meant to be. You can sell the Brooklyn Bridge to someone else, you all know the truth.....

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:00 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

Campers - children are going to eat six feet apart? Play six feet apart? How about color war, field day, performances?
Also, while the boys are engaged in learning a large part of the day, the girls are not. If there's no pool, no contact sports, no trips, all activities must be done with SD, what exactly will they be doing all day -- storytime and arts and crafts?

Staff - All staff in boys and girls camp are generally married with families living in crowded bungalows with a minimum of space. They won't sneak out to Walmart for some essential like pampers?... go to mikva, take their kids to the dr and myriad other daily needs? How about the working spouse, older child working in the city, your convinced they won't come join the family for 2 months? Really!?

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool everyone all the time.....Theres no way it can be done by following the rules as they are meant to be. You can sell the Brooklyn Bridge to someone else, you all know the truth.....

Right! Like Cuomo says “I wouldn’t bet my farm on it. Not that I have a farm...”

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:02 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Interesting. I've heard from quite a few parents that dont know how they'll pay for camp now that they've lost their jobs. Sad

Check out the poll a poster put out recently on imamother.

I agree with you, but the posters were begging for camp for the poor quarantined kinderlech.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:19 am
cnc wrote:
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/1857680/nyc-mayor-other-states-may-be-reopening-too-quickly.html

At this point, seeing how our great mayor and governor are running our city the last ppl to believe is them. So what they're saying means absolutely zero.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
You think they might open for boys and not for girls?

For boys it's more important bc of shmiras aynayim in the summer, and that it's better for them to learn outdoors in the woods than crammed into some rebbi's basement. They might maybe move up the age minimum, I.e. only boys 12 & up or somethjing. Who knows.

howeve,r to be honest, opening the camps mostly depends on the town theyre located in, bc the local counties all feel differently. White Lake & Swan Lake is very interested in opening, Fallsburg is very opposed, Thompson hasnt said anything, and Calicoon is vehemently opposed. So it's just a wait and see situation.

I also think that some of the bochurim camps are gonna rent spaces in Pennsylvania where they arent as restrictive. I know of one yeshiva (of boys 18+ ) that already booked out a hotel in Pennsylvania that theyre already using now, and another yeshiva is in the process of doing that as well.

So I think that for the ages that it's the most important they'll figure out how to make it work. For the ages/gender where it's just for a fun summer.... they won't work that hard.

I think the girls would be much less willing to live with never getting visits or going off grounds for the sake of camp. Bochurim dont care that much.

And I was not going to say it out loud but, ehhhh, the rules are gonna be broken most likely anyway :-\

Again all of this is pure conjecture. No one had told me anything. I'm speculating my thoughts out loud. They may be baloney on rye completely. I didn't run this by anyone in charge.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
You think they might open for boys and not for girls?

I think a boys camp might be more feasible since a large chunk of the day is for learning (especially older bocharim) so it’s easier to do it according to SD rules whereas girls are doing activities most of the time and I can’t picture a fun filled summer in camp if they’ll still need to SD.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 3:35 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
And I was not going to say it out loud but, ehhhh, the rules are gonna be broken most likely anyway :-\

Again all of this is pure conjecture. No one had told me anything. I'm speculating my thoughts out loud. They may be baloney on rye completely. I didn't run this by anyone in charge.

"Vigdor Rosenberg" (remember him??)says the guidelines set forth as of now is not sustainable physically and financially so they most likely will not open. Unless some huge ness or turn around all over happens.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 4:02 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
"Vigdor Rosenberg" (remember him??)says the guidelines set forth as of now is not sustainable physically and financially so they most likely will not open. Unless some huge ness or turn around all over happens.

Memories! Glad to hear he's still running the show bh.
My kids don't go to Satmar Mosdos so haven't heard about him in a while.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 4:47 pm
So I guess the girls' camp is a no no. but I wonder about the bucherim.
My son is in a small camp in swan lake. Swan Lake town is eager to open.
Our going to the country this summer is dependent on him being in camp. If he's staying in the city I obviously won't go.
(and he is going to be so angry about it that I need a suit of armor now.)

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 5:04 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

I work at a camp and of course we still don’t know what will be but... yes, they do plan on being strict and NOT “cheating”. Spouses will have to either stay at campus the entire time or not come at all. No Walmart runs or days off or visiting day. No outside entertainment. No staff over aged 60 or immune compromised (which in boys camps can include a lot of rebbeim etc). How feasible is all this? Will they be allowed to open even WITH all these restrictions? Who knows but that’s what they’re planning at this point...
I’m not sure what I’m going to do (as one of the above stipulations is going to be an issue for my family) but I may have to make a decision soon (about whether I’ll be participating or not)...

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:47 pm

Awesome memories from abt 20 yrs ago,!

Very curious how it will all play out. My husband is employed in a boys camp and the big girls always go to camp being there are boys around. Suppose only boys camp open, it will be another aspect to look at.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:58 pm
Actually, it's the camp directors that DON'T want to open the camps, and it's the PARENTS pushing for it. So, no, they DON'T want to cheat. They have nothing to gain out of a summer playing catch me if you can.

Yes, this is what I heard as well from camp directors.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:16 pm
I’m no doctor so excuse me if it sounds stupid.

How does it make sense to bring together hundreds of kids and staff from all different communities where virus is still active?

They may have been exposed, or carriers, or asymptomatic today and ch’v sick three days after camp opens up.

You’re not sure you’re bringing in 💯 not infected people. So they all mingle together and then go back to their respective hundreds of previously-quaranteed families and expose everyone in their homes?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:45 pm
Especially since a second wave is expected in the fall.
If schools don't reopen buildings in September I really don't see how camps will be allowed to open in July or August. Maybe small day camps with limited campers and staff allowed. At most.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Especially since a second wave is expected in the fall.
If schools don't reopen buildings in September I really don't see how camps will be allowed to open in July or August. Maybe small day camps with limited campers and staff allowed. At most.

How do they know to expect another wave, esp if people are supposedly in lockdown/quarantine?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:33 pm
According to Dr. Faucci.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:39 pm
I work in a camp
We were told that the girls will have to eat in shifts so as to social distance
Meaning serving meals 12 times a day, all day!
No off premises trips and we need to limit the amount of girls sleeping in one room. That means that we can only accept one half of the girls per month and it may not be financially feasible. It will not cover!
Not happening
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics