Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
I need paint color ideas for new home
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:19 pm
the home is real old thought paint qould brighten it up the house is in florida so im thinking
fun cheeful colors

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:30 pm
There's nothing quite as bright as white. You can always add color with accent furniture, rugs, accessories, etc.
If you specifically want colored paint, choose carefully - even the brightest, sunniest color looks darker when it's painted on an entire wall.
Does your house have lots of windows? Changing heavy drapes for lighter window coverings can brighten up the space considerably.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:32 pm
thank you for the advice
I have no money for furniture so I thought paint can help
the house in small with out alot of windows the house is dark

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:38 pm
A light grey color.
Look into grey owl and revere pewter.
Visit the paint store or order different paint colors in mini sample cans online.

Malkqueen

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you for the advice
I have no money for furniture so I thought paint can help
the house in small with out alot of windows the house is dark

Some ideas in addition to or aside from painting:
Get rid of unnecessary furniture - more space feels brighter.
If possible, paint furniture/cabinets a light color.
Add more lighting - if adding spotlights is too costly, you can buy freestanding lamps, or even simply replace the bulbs in existing fixtures with higher wattage.
Big mirrors reflect light and space - making a small space feel larger.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:51 pm
I have no furniture thanks for the ideas

Librarian

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
A light grey color.
Look into grey owl and revere pewter.
Visit the paint store or order different paint colors in mini sample cans online.

Revere Pewter is beautiful in a room with a lot of light. In a dark house it looks like mud.

Librarian

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:06 pm
It is very important to try out any paint color you are considering - buy a small sample size and paint onto a large poster board, 2 coats. Leave 2" white around the perimiter. Hang on different walls different times of day. Light and exposure makes a HUGE difference in how a paint color looks so you want to make sure you are happy with it in YOUR home. Many paint colors look beautiful in southern exposure, but can look very different in northern. Also, make sure your sample is the same "finish" as the paint you will be using. Most standard samples will come in eggshell. I would NOT recommend eggshell finish. "Pearl" finish is much more washable and durable. You can scrub anything off leaving no mark at all. It is not as shiny as satin or semi-gloss but slightly more than eggshell. Some will say that any shine is not classy but dirty walls are a lot less classy than a bit of shine. Everyone thanks me for this recommendation. My paint job is perfect even after 12 years. If you use a pearl finish, make sure your sample is in pearl.

tweety1

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:50 pm
I love pale oak or pale oak 125%. I did both. I did the 125% in my dining room and regular the rest of the house.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:12 pm
Thank you

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:49 pm
Balboa mist is also a nice light grey color.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:50 pm
Librarian wrote:
Revere Pewter is beautiful in a room with a lot of light. In a dark house it looks like mud.

You can custom order it to a lighter shade-50-75%.

Librarian

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:54 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
You can custom order it to a lighter shade-50-75%.

If you do that you will not get the same color just lighter. The undertones completely change.

Librarian

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:56 pm
Bottom line, all colors can be beautiful or not so much. You must try it out in your own home different times of day. For example, Balboa Mist was mentioned. It is a beautiful color. But in my home, it looks purple.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:24 pm
We recently redid our basement. It had brown walls and was really dark. We painted it light blue. It's so bright and lively now.

Use light colors. Change the fixtures if they dont give off enough light. We replaced the fixtures, barely any light came through the original ones.

tweety1

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:02 pm
Librarian wrote:
Bottom line, all colors can be beautiful or not so much. You must try it out in your own home different times of day. For example, Balboa Mist was mentioned. It is a beautiful color. But in my home, it looks purple.

What youre saying makes sense. I originally chose a different color but I wasn't sure I'm happy. I ended up visiting somebody with similar dimensions as me and loved her coloring. That's how I chose pale oak.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:54 am
You asked for fun colors and everyone's suggesting gray, lol.

Ten years ago they would have been recommending various beiges.

Someone is sure to mention Sea Salt soon as the perfect neutral, lol, or perhaps Palladian Blue for the really daring.

Ignore all gray suggestions.

Consider a soft bird's egg blue, consider reading Maria Killam's blog, consider what colors make you feel happy. Try all paint on your walls before committing. Check how the colors change throughout the day. Know that it'll look darker once it's all over the wall, not just a patch.

Have fun!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 6:23 am
thanks

Rappel

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 6:37 am
And here I'm thinking yellow, orange, terracotta. Natural tones which pick up on the light.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, May 09 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
You asked for fun colors and everyone's suggesting gray, lol.

Ten years ago they would have been recommending various beiges.

Someone is sure to mention Sea Salt soon as the perfect neutral, lol, or perhaps Palladian Blue for the really daring.

Ignore all gray suggestions.

Consider a soft bird's egg blue, consider reading Maria Killam's blog, consider what colors make you feel happy. Try all paint on your walls before committing. Check how the colors change throughout the day. Know that it'll look darker once it's all over the wall, not just a patch.

Have fun!!

You missed the part where she specified her house is small and dark.

Hence the reason why light colors were suggested.

Bright colors will not go well in small rooms with little lighting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating