Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do/did u have a child on an SSRI for anxiety? Im terrified
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can kids take buspar?

You should ask the doctor. Ask, ask, ask...they know best how to prescribe but make sure they run through ALL the options and risks and explain to you why what they're giving is best for your child and what dosage and why. Research your child's condition and meds for it and ask. Ultimately though the doctor knows best how to prescribe. You can bring things up but you need to rely on their expertise.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 4:10 pm
OP, I didn't read the whole thread. I just want to mention that a while ago when DC was 12, DC had anxiety.

I asked for help here on imamother and I got amazing suggestions including some books to read.

BH DC didn't need meds in the end (thanks to those imas! And thank you Hashem!!) Because I read those books and it really helped. I also started making sure DC eats extremely healthy meals and that he goes to sleep each night exactly the same time.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:36 pm
I know someone who developed depression after starting Zoloft.

lilies

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:07 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
OP, I didn't read the whole thread. I just want to mention that a while ago when DC was 12, DC had anxiety.

I asked for help here on imamother and I got amazing suggestions including some books to read.

BH DC didn't need meds in the end (thanks to those imas! And thank you Hashem!!) Because I read those books and it really helped. I also started making sure DC eats extremely healthy meals and that he goes to sleep each night exactly the same time.

Can you post the titles of the books?
I'm curious.

lilies

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thats for EVERY child? Even if there's no history of bipolar?

Is there anything going on in your child's life that is contributing to the anxiety?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 12 year old might need to start medication for anxiety. We will be seeing a psychiatrist later today. Anything I shud be aware of? Any meds better than others?
Secondly, the reason he needs meds is to get the therapy to work for him. I am insanely nervous about this. I never thought in a million years that I'd be putting my child on meds. Im crying. Im so afraid of meds that mess with the brain. Pls! Can anyone share a positive experience? Was your child able to get off meds eventually? Did it takes many tries to get it right? How about side effects? Ty!

I was on prozac for just about a year and a half. It helped me get out of bad patterns and I was able to ease off it relatively smoothly. This was around 8 years ago.

I really did not want to take it as a teen and felt that it was unnecessary since noone aside my parents were aware I was going thru something that needed the meds.

Looking back I am glad that I did.

Things to note about side effect - I did gain a bit of weight . Also, I did have a faint suicidal ideation twice - which I never had prior to meds . By ideation was the thought about it, not plans or any thoughts of seriously doing it. We did lower dose after that and it never happened again.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:58 pm
So the psychiatrist prescribed lexapro. Were starting very low at 2 mg. She said he could even start at 1 mg if that makes me feel better. What do you guys think?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 12:39 am
None of us are psychiatrists...at least to my knowledge...
The only thing I would say in general for any med is be on top of worrisome or extreme side effects by calling the dr right away.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 12:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx everyone
Im really looking for positive experiences where when combined with therapy - your child was able to get off the medication. Ty

I wasn’t on meds as a child... but I did take Zoloft for anxiety for a little over a year in my 20’s and went of the meds successfully... changed my life!! So happy I did it

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:33 am
I don't have experience with Lexapro, but you're doing the right thing by starting the med for your child now.
I was very against giving my 11 year old SSRI for anxiety. I refused for a while and tried every natural thing out there. There was no change whatsoever. I gave in.
As soon as he started taking the meds, he was a new delicious child!
He went off it pretty quickly bh. About 1/2 year- 3/4 year.
Now he's doing fine just with his ADHD meds.

There's a time and place for everything. Hatzlacha

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 5:53 am
Just as different people respond differently to the coronavirus, so, too (huge lehavdil) people respond differently to different antidepressants. If one size fits all, there wouldn't be different products.

Your child will likely be started on a very small test dose to see how the medication is tolerated. If no side effects, it would be slowly increased to the proper dosage for height/weight/condition.

Sometimes it takes several tries before finding something that works. Sometimes, there are non medication things that work.

The important thing to keep in mind is that none of the effects are permanent. If a medication in this class isn't good, you stop, and it leaves the body.

In some ways, the current situation is good for medication trials, because you're around to observe carefully.

Keep written notes.

Hatzlacha, hope everyone feels good!

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 6:07 am
imasinger wrote:
The important thing to keep in mind is that none of the effects are permanent. If a medication in this class isn't good, you stop, and it leaves the body.

That is not fully true.

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 6:08 am
Link?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 7:28 am
As other posters have said, everyone reacts differently. "Low and slow is the way to go" is the rule with any new medication. The lower the dose, the easier it is to quit cold turkey and try another one.

Depression and anxiety runs in my family. I'm on Zoloft, because Prozac made me break out in hives. My sister was on Prozac, until she developed and allergy to it and is now on Wellbutrin. My mother was on Paxil, because she couldn't take any of the others. Lithium made my hands shake so bad that it got to the point where I could barely feed myself. Depakote has been a life saver, for my mood swings.

DD liked Buspar, but it was just covering some symptoms, and not really getting to the base of things. She went off it and got worse, so she went on to Zoloft and is now doing 90% better.

Just keep a side effect journal, and bring it with you to all doctor's appointment. Most side effects go away in the first two weeks. If they don't, and they are troublesome, then you can talk about changing meds. Zoloft made me a little hyper and gave me insomnia at first, but it leveled out in about 10 days. I think I was just so happy to feel "normal" that I was really excited. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 03 2020, 9:15 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
That is not fully true.

Can you please elaborate?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 09 2020, 11:33 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I have positive stories about putting children on meds but they are not off meds yet. They are doing so well no reason to take them off and be sq. 1

Make sure child gets mood stabilizer before the ssri.
If a child gets ssri without mood stab. it can cause a manic episode.

Could you please share which psychiatrist you used? Any way I could pm you?
When I originally read your post I took note of what you said about adding a mood stabilizer. I mentioned it to the psychiatrist before my child started lexapro. She said theres no reason to add a mood stabilizer. Well, guess what?! my child is having manic episodes! Im freaking out. I feel lost. I will speak to the doc tomorrow. But this is terrifying

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 09 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
That is not fully true.

Please please elaborate on this! This is freaking me out Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children