Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upsherin during corona
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:04 am
I’ve been planning this upsherin for after shavous and now I don’t know what will be. No barber wants to come to our house. I can’t get yalmulkas. I started baking but no one can come in our house. I want to take upsherin pictures before with his long hair but no photographers and jc penny closed. Can’t go to rebbi in school for honey licking. Thinking of just putting pekalach outside spread apart on folding table and kids come and take one at a time. Everything is up in the air and I don’t know how to plan this. I know it’s just an upsherin and people are having weddings and bar mitzvas outside but it’s disappointing.

abmom2

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:46 am
It is definitely hard! Try to see of you can hire a photographer to come take pics outdoors who will be able to maintain the proper social distancing. You can definitely leave out the pekelach, or drive past friends and family and drop off there, giving them a chance to see the upsherin boy and create some more excitement for him as well as for yourself!

abmom2

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:40 am
You can get yarmulkes online - I like to get from ikippah. Or find out if a local judaica store will do curbside pickup/delivery.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 3:38 am
Photographers in my area are doing socially distanced outdoor sessions.
Ask around.
Kippahs - buy online.
Print out an alef-bet page and give him a spoonful of honey.
Turn on zoom and let everyone watch you take snips of his hair.
For the real haircut, I have no solutions. Sorry.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 3:54 am
Funny I was wishing my upshernish right before corona could have been now
Would have saved $$ without offending anyone (we had to rent a shul just to fit our immediate family)
I didn't want a big party
He didn't know what was happening
Didn't do a photoshoot anyway
Cutting hair on zoom is a dream

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:35 am
I guess we can do zoom. It’s not the same. trying to figure out everything else Anyone else have an upsherin coming up? What are u doing?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:41 am
I cut my sons hair.
I bought kippahs from iKippah.com size 2.
I made a cake at home.
He was very happy!
We went outside after and enjoyed the day.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:53 am
My sons upsherin was 2 weeks before pesach. The cheder was already closed so my son's rebbi came to say alef beis and honig leken at our house. (Wasnt spread at badly where I live, at that point). You're allowed to feel disappointed. All my plans were canceled and I couldn't stop crying ( not from happiness). My parents came but were 6 ft apart from us.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:48 am
I planned my upsherin for months to the last detail. It was supposed to be on March 18. March 18 was the day we’ve eyed lockdown. Everything is sitting in my closet. I’m so sad.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:49 am
My son just had a classmate's upsherin on zoom. The parents dropped off by each kid a pekela and on the class zoom the next day, they made a party over zoom and the kids grandparents also were on it. They had him read the alef bais and the parents had honey there that he licked.
They had each kid tell him happy birthday over zoom.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:59 am
My sister did an upsherin recently. Her own family sat around the dining room table and the grandparents participated by phone (they don't do zoom but that would be even better). Her husband acted as the Melamed and she said her son cooperated much more enthusiastically than he would have in cheder.
Portraits- take beautiful outdoor ones. It's very easy for photographers to social distance with their excellent zoom lenses.
(Off topic but I'm a little jealous. As a makeup artist I don't have the luxury to be able to keep SD while doing my job, hence I can't work at all.)

I'm not sure what to advise you about a haircut. It depends what kind of haircuts you generally give for your boys. In my circles it's just an even buzz on any number you wish, no complicated styles so I've always done the haircuts myself.

Mazel tov!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:32 am
I'm making an upsherin in 2 weeks iyh . I wasn't planning on making a big bash so that part isn't disappointing. Im not sure the grandparents will come and that part. I'm sad about . We took outdoor pics last Sunday . Kappls I ordered from Paisley ( you can check her out on Instagram) she has an upsherin package and till shavous she ships for free.
Im thinking to call rebbe to house to do the aleph bais . I'm disappointed about not doing cheder firen so basically will be just my family ( he's my baby )
Also we don't go do Barber and since it's not our first boy my dh is experienced in hair cutting .

Raisin

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:57 am
I like the idea of decorating your car with balloons and going around to friends and relatives giving out pecklech and cupcakes. Your son will have a blast.

Buy a hair trimmer and do his hair yourself, or just do a few token snips and wait until he can have a proper haircut.

Surrendered

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:00 pm
We did our sons upsherin 2 weeks before pesach. My husband was the Rebbi, we prepared cake and LChaim for my husband. No family came by, Some participated via zoom. I made pictures in the backyard, ordered Kaplach from IKippah.com.
We hope to make a regular cheider firen once cheider starts again iyh.
The main thing is that we should a see lots of Yiddish Nachas from him and all of our children.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:22 pm
I don’t know what to order from ikippah. Cotton? Linen? Velvet? Will they put a Hebrew letter on it?

Thanks everyone for ideas

Oy mommy cobalt I feel for u.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:02 pm
Where are you located? in lakewood the judaica stores are open. Judaica Plaza and torah Treasures have yarmulkas with letters in stock (other stores probably also do). As far as fabric, it's up to your preference.
Pics- Ami had an article on taking your own pics in the whisk this week.
I couldn't make it to jcpenney for my last upsherin and took pics myself (I am in no way professional) look at photographers intagram pages for ideas. I set my son holding a yarmulka and tzitizs in front of our sefarim shranks. another pic of him holding a little sefer torah, laying on his belly reading from aleph-bais sefer...
You can also go to a park or lake and get beautiful outdoor pics.
As far as a Rebbe- there is not much you can do with schools closed. You can set up like they do in schools and print an aleph bais page and cover with a sheet protector and put honey on first few letters.
For a party- best idea would be to prepackage and leave outside for people to pick up. Keep it simple- just pekelach. For your immediate family have a small seuda and serve your baked goods.
It's not easy giving up on a party you planned for 3 years but we don't have much choice. If they allow gatherings in the near future you can make a family brunch or bbq later in the summer to celebrate with friends and extended family.
mazel tov on reaching this milestone

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:14 pm
Thank u mother maroon for ur help and ideas. I don’t know what will be with corona after shavous so hard to plan

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t know what to order from ikippah. Cotton? Linen? Velvet? Will they put a Hebrew letter on it?

Thanks everyone for ideas

Oy mommy cobalt I feel for u.

Thanks! I’ll get over it but it’s my only kid so I’m kind of upset.

I ordered just now from shirt stop. They can customize the letters.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:15 pm
Anyone know someone doing outdoor upsherin pictures wearing a mask?

Is there a barber that would come to my house and wear a mask to cut the hair?

Stars

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone know someone doing outdoor upsherin pictures wearing a mask?

Is there a barber that would come to my house and wear a mask to cut the hair?

Where do you live?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics