Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Cookbook and website recommendations-Vegetarian/Vegan

artsy

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:27 pm
For experiences vegetarians (or vegans)
what are some very simple, practical cookbooks or websites that you find the most helpful.
Being mindful that elaborate ingredients, or produce that needs special checking for bugs will not be so helpful to me.
Thank you

israelmama

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:31 pm
The happy herbivore is a great cookbook- I use it all the time

israelmama

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:35 pm
https://plantstrong.com/plant-strong-recipes

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:39 pm
Some of my favorite blogs:

Loveandlemons
Thehealthycarrot
Manjulaskitchen
Justonecookbook

The last two have some meat recipes, but you can easily search by vegetarian and vegan.

Go to Pinterest and search by "Vegan" and you'll find a million recipes, complete with pictures.

MiriFr

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:32 pm
I make a lot of my recipes up! And I use great substitutions for a lot of regular recipes.
Would you like me to post some of my ideas?

aliavi

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:34 pm
Oh She Glows
Minimalist Baker

Both have websites and cookbooks. For meat eaters these are healthy budget friendly options.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:48 pm
chocolatecoveredkatie.com is a vegan website with healthy alternatives, and has food recipes as well as loads of desserts

israelmama

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 4:59 pm
MiriFr wrote:
I make a lot of my recipes up! And I use great substitutions for a lot of regular recipes.
Would you like me to post some of my ideas?

Please share! I’m always looking for more ideas!

tichellady

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:09 pm
I really like cookie and Kate’s website and cookbook

MiriFr

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:15 pm
israelmama wrote:
Please share! I’m always looking for more ideas!

Yes I would love to! I am temporarily vegan, because my baby is allergic to most animal protein, and I am still nursing. I dont use vegan cookbooks, because too many recipes call for nuts, and Baby has a nut allergy.

-For cakes and cookies, I substitute eggs with Egg Replacer, found at target. It's so dope. You can use 1/4 C applesauce per egg, but my baby is allergic to apples.
-For beef, you can use Impossible Beef or Beyond Beef. I use Impossible because Beyond has apple extract.
- I make a delicious tofu stirfry, lemme know if you're interested, and I'll post!
- Same with my mac n cheese! Want it?
- I also make a rly good "scrambled egg" wrap (it's actually drool-worthy) with Just egg
-Sushi with chinese eggplant instead of fish
-"cream cheese" stuffed spaghetti squash
-Portobello steaks
-Oyster mushroom "ribs"
- I use Daiya mozzarella shreds (cutting board collection) on pizza
-If you can eat nuts, cashew alfredo sauce is delicious

I'll try to think of more

Last edited by MiriFr on Sun, May 10 2020, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:15 pm
Plenty and plenty more by total ottolenghi

israelmama

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 9:51 am
MiriFr wrote:
Yes I would love to! I am temporarily vegan, because my baby is allergic to most animal protein, and I am still nursing. I dont use vegan cookbooks, because too many recipes call for nuts, and Baby has a nut allergy.

-For cakes and cookies, I substitute eggs with Egg Replacer, found at target. It's so dope. You can use 1/4 C applesauce per egg, but my baby is allergic to apples.
-For beef, you can use Impossible Beef or Beyond Beef. I use Impossible because Beyond has apple extract.
- I make a delicious tofu stirfry, lemme know if you're interested, and I'll post!
- Same with my mac n cheese! Want it?
- I also make a rly good "scrambled egg" wrap (it's actually drool-worthy) with Just egg
-Sushi with chinese eggplant instead of fish
-"cream cheese" stuffed spaghetti squash
-Portobello steaks
-Oyster mushroom "ribs"
- I use Daiya mozzarella shreds (cutting board collection) on pizza
-If you can eat nuts, cashew alfredo sauce is delicious

I'll try to think of more

These all sound amazing, problem is that a lot of products are not available or hard to find here. Can I have your Chinese eggplant recipe and stuffed squash recipe?

MiriFr

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 10:53 am
israelmama wrote:
These all sound amazing, problem is that a lot of products are not available or hard to find here. Can I have your Chinese eggplant recipe and stuffed squash recipe?

Can you find pareve cheese and nutritional yeast? That's really yummy on pasta.
How bout ground flax seed for replacing eggs? (Again, you can use applesauce).
I've seen tofu around when I lived there.

Sushi- make sushi as you normally would. Fill it with avocado, carrot, and cucumber. I like to toss the carrots in spicy mayo first. For the eggplant, I use a chinese eggplant, but you can use a regular one. Slice it the long way pretty thin. Make a mixture of equal parts (like 1-2 Tbs each) of sesame oil, miso paste (or tahina), maple syrup, and warm water. Brush it on the eggplant slices and bake on 350 for 10 min each side. When they're done, press them on top of the sushi roll before slicing the roll. Sprinkle sesame seeds.

Stuffed spaghetti squash- cut it down the middle and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle oil and salt+pepper+garlic. In a food processor or blender: zucchini, carrot, little bit purple onion, canned tomato, mushrooms, spinach (optional). Blend it all up and stuff the spaghetti squash. Put a scoop of tofuti cream cheese in the middle of the mixture. Bake on 400 for an hour.

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking