Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Exercise to treat bad behavior

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 09 2020, 10:34 pm
DS was spiraling downward to a pit of chutzpadik speech and picking on his brother. It was obvious that the cause was boredom.
I told him to go to his room and do yoga type stretches. He came back in a better mood.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, May 09 2020, 11:26 pm
Consider editing the title. Exercise is not a treatment. Exercise releases body hormones like endorphins. Calming exercises help is breath and calm down. HaShem made us with these. It’s not a treatment.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 3:18 am
My 6 y/o ds often picks fights with his siblings or just goes wild, especially during Shabbat meals. Making him run 10 times across the house sometimes does help calming him down. He himself says that he has too much energy.
Last Shabbat just before kiddush he told us he's going for a moment into the street to run off his energy. He came back a few minutes later and behaved better than usual during the meal.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:06 am
I think this is great! Let me reframe this, and I think this is exactly what you mean: it's not a punishment, it's a way to get a kid to calm down and come back ready to behave.

Just read the other posts. Baruch shekivanti.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think this is great! Let me reframe this, and I think this is exactly what you mean: it's not a punishment, it's a way to get a kid to calm down and come back ready to behave.

Just read the other posts. Baruch shekivanti.

Yup. That's the idea. Since he was acting out due to shear boredom, the exercise gave him a clean break and allowed him to re-start. This way he didn't get backed into a corner of having to defend his own unreasonable actions.
I meant this as a helpful hint to others who may be stretched thin. I didn't expect it to become a subject of controversy Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics