Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How does this work?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:01 pm
seems like we're having a stomach bug going around.
started about 10 days ago with one kid vomiting/diarrhea, though we weren't sure if its viral or tummy upset from antibiotic.
Now another one of my kids have been having gastro symptoms for a few days.
Where did these kids pick this up????????????????

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:09 pm
Could it be the new kawasaki type disease? Not to worry you! Just for you to be on alert.

Everyone should have a refuah shelaima/be healthy and well

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:11 pm
Could be Noro-Virus...
Could also be a manifestation of Corona...

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
seems like we're having a stomach bug going around.
started about 10 days ago with one kid vomiting/diarrhea, though we weren't sure if its viral or tummy upset from antibiotic.
Now another one of my kids have been having gastro symptoms for a few days.
Where did these kids pick this up????????????????

10 days is a long time. I hope you called your child’s doctor. Your child may need a stool culture.
Also this Kawasaki virus that may be related to Covid 19 has vomiting and diahrreah as one of the symptoms

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:17 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Could be Noro-Virus...
Could also be a manifestation of Corona...

right- but where would they pick up noro now? and I think they already had covid back in march...

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:21 pm
It could be a reaction to antibiotics or a reaction to bad food but stomach bug bacteria is catchy so even if it started with one kid as a reaction the others may pick it up as a result.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
right- but where would they pick up noro now? and I think they already had covid back in march...

Are you letting your kids out to play with other kids? Are you watching them closely to make sure they don't put their hands in their mouths, and do you supervise their hand washing to make sure they get under the nails and everything?

Even if they already had Covid, we still don't know if it will keep you immune from other strains, or if it protects kids from other things like Kawasaki. This is why we still need to keep up to date on all the safety protocols, and not get too relaxed, too early.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:31 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
10 days is a long time. I hope you called your child’s doctor. Your child may need a stool culture.
Also this Kawasaki virus that may be related to Covid 19 has vomiting and diahrreah as one of the symptoms

we already sent in a stool culture friday- waiting for results.
I highly doubt she has kawasaki. 1) the diarrhea has been coming/going for a while
2) she has only had a fluctuating low grade fever
3) 3 drs are aware of the symptoms and none suspected kawasaki...
of course being of the google generation I did already google if you can have K. and not be aware of it or if it can go away on its own.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you letting your kids out to play with other kids? Are you watching them closely to make sure they don't put their hands in their mouths, and do you supervise their hand washing to make sure they get under the nails and everything?

Even if they already had Covid, we still don't know if it will keep you immune from other strains, or if it protects kids from other things like Kawasaki. This is why we still need to keep up to date on all the safety protocols, and not get too relaxed, too early.

Absolutely not! we are very strictly at home.
they're usually pretty good about handwashing. of course I don't know if they're immune from corona, but it was just interesting that they have not been exposed to anyone to think they got a stomach bug or corona.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we already sent in a stool culture friday- waiting for results.
I highly doubt she has kawasaki. 1) the diarrhea has been coming/going for a while
2) she has only had a fluctuating low grade fever
3) 3 drs are aware of the symptoms and none suspected kawasaki...
of course being of the google generation I did already google if you can have K. and not be aware of it or if it can go away on its own.

My toddler had sudden vomiting and diahrreah in February and she seemed to have gotten better after 24 hours and then she started with non stop diahrreah for a week. The doctor had me bring her in . She was otherwise ok. The doctor said that she must’ve had a short stomache virus but it may have caused her stomache lining to be damaged. She had us take her off of all dairy for a few days . She said that if that didn’t cure it , then a stool culture was needed. After being off of dairy for four days the loose stools stopped . We kept her off of dairy for a full week and then went back on and all was well. I see that you mention fever. My daughter did not have fever.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Sun, May 10 2020, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:37 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
It could be a reaction to antibiotics or a reaction to bad food but stomach bug bacteria is catchy so even if it started with one kid as a reaction the others may pick it up as a result.

Hmm. thats interesting. I wonder how that works...
I guess we'll be a little smarter once the culture results are in. meanwhile I hope the other kids don't catch it...

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 7:49 pm
good you contacted your pediatrician
would not worry about "kawasaki" they are talking about 75 kids in the whole nation and MAYBE related to Covid

and maybe not

last year there was an outbreak of a so called "mysterious" paralyzing polio type virus among kids serious and resulting in hospitalization and thought to be brought in by undocumented immigrants -- it did not gain huge traction in the media because didn't fit the narrative -- oy

so id be alert but wary

refuel shleimah!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:16 pm
My kids picked up strep somehow What and we're strict about SD. The doctor said that bacterial infections don't necessarily need to be "caught" from someone else.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
My kids picked up strep somehow What and we're strict about SD. The doctor said that bacterial infections don't necessarily need to be "caught" from someone else.

Wow! Surprised
was actually wondering if there will be less strep going around with school out... but I guess if someone is a carrier it can get 'activated'?

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 7:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They could pick up noro from any food they eat...
Could also be Escherichia Coli or another foodborn virus or bacteria... there are plenty of them...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics