Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Any Beauty Do-it-Yourselfers Feeling Proud?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:35 am
I have always been a beauty do-it-yourselfer, primarily because growing up, we never had money for salons or manicures and even as an adult I usually don't have the spare cash.

I usually do go for a professional haircut and wouldn't risk cutting my own hair, but -

I wash and style my wigs
Color my own hair (and wigs if they need it)
Give myself manicure/pedicure
Give myself facials

This has really come in handy the last 2 months!

I also gave my guys haircuts with clippers before Pesach.

How about you? Do-it-yourselfers brag here!

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:40 am
I always give myself haircuts but I won’t touch my wigs. Hair grows back- wigs dont.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:46 am
I wash and blowdry my wigs.
Tweeze my eyebrows.
Wax my hands
Shave legs...
File my nails
Whiten my teeth
Do my own makeup...

I also never took cleaning help
And do mending/alterations myself.

Ill also fix screws, put up a shelf, reupholster chairs, and paint my house...

I can't sit still.

giselle

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:49 am
I also cut my son’s hair before pesach, but I can’t say it’s something I want to brag about 🙈

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:51 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I wash and blowdry my wigs.
Tweeze my eyebrows.
Wax my hands
Shave legs...
File my nails
Whiten my teeth
Do my own makeup...

I also never took cleaning help
And do mending/alterations myself.

Ill also fix screws, put up a shelf, reupholster chairs, and paint my house...

I can't sit still.

Impressive Very Happy what do you use to wax your hands? any links greatly appreciated

Frumme

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:59 am
Having varied success with giving myself haircuts. I'm much better at cutting DH's hair! (Unsurprisingly).

I generally wash my own sheitels, cut and file my nails, shave, tweeze eyebrows, etc. Generally I only have time for one/two of these activities a day, so I'll usually spread it out over the course of a week (e.g. shave legs and under arms one day, next day cut and file nails, etc). I was finding myself getting stressed by not finishing everything in one go... Which is kind of the opposite of this kind of self care! Breaking it down into a sort of schedule helps a lot.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:09 am
I cut my hair for the first time ever. Its long and was overdue. I style my wigs but not cut them.

The rest of the beauty rituals I do myself. No brow threading I use gel instead. I use a facial shaver and my own facials. I do my own nails. I would like to have laser removal on my legs. I don’t do any self tanning.

I’m also pretty handy around the house and with the car. I do my own cleaning mostly (I sometimes have help for the easy maintenance) and my own laundry. I take to the dry cleaners about once a month. No takeout and all meals homemade.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:17 am
I maintain my brows for long periods of time and have them waxed for shape a few times a year.
I cut my own hair, which is in a pony anyway so I don't care that much.
shave my legs, manicure my nails.

I'd love to hear about diy facials and teeth whitening.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:19 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:

Whiten my teeth.

How?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:21 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
How?

For me Crest white strips and whitening toothpaste.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:39 am
Do I live under a rock? I thought everyone does these things themselves. (At least for the most part)
I wash/set and recolor my wig when it oxidizes. My DH cuts my hair- it is long, you cut straight, and I cover it. I have never gone for a professional wax-I have both tweezers and a razor-done. In my 40+ years on this earth, I have had less than a dozen manicures, one pedicure-which I found incredibly uncomfortable from a philosophical-socioeconomical perspective. I am not an instagram makeup expert with 17 different BB creams and highlighters and bronzes and eyelash extensions, but I look reasonably put together.
Oh, and I am BH financially in the place to afford these things.

I am not understanding the people who need SD to end so that they can get their manicure. Walgreens sells nail polish. The Sally Hanson Gel works well enough.

giselle

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:46 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Do I live under a rock? I thought everyone does these things themselves. (At least for the most part)
I wash/set and recolor my wig when it oxidizes. My DH cuts my hair- it is long, you cut straight, and I cover it. I have never gone for a professional wax-I have both tweezers and a razor-done. In my 40+ years on this earth, I have had less than a dozen manicures, one pedicure-which I found incredibly uncomfortable from a philosophical-socioeconomical perspective. I am not an instagram makeup expert with 17 different BB creams and highlighters and bronzes and eyelash extensions, but I look reasonably put together.
Oh, and I am BH financially in the place to afford these things.

I am not understanding the people who need SD to end so that they can get their manicure. Walgreens sells nail polish. The Sally Hanson Gel works well enough.

You’re not living under a rock, but it probably depends on your circle of friends. Most people I know don’t do most of these things on their own. I mean I hope now they are, but under normal circumstances...

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:33 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Impressive Very Happy what do you use to wax your hands? any links greatly appreciated

I have a small Gigi wax warmer. I got the Gigi wax, sticks, and muslin strips..I had bought it from the local beauty supply store.
My mom used to do it, so I grew up with it.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 2:36 am
I can’t do much but I always tweezed my eyebrows and upper lip instead of waxing and also I do my own nails gel and also dip 😊

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:11 pm
I usede to dye my hair when I did not need to
now my hair is gray and cant die it alone

zoom

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 5:59 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I usede to dye my hair when I did not need to
now my hair is gray and cant die it alone

I did mine last night myself. its not perfect, but it will definitely do.
it is possible at home.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 7:56 pm
How do you facials on your own?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:03 pm
I dyed my hair purple before this all started ... Now I'm looking for a new color that will take well without me needing to use peroxide.

Always did my own brows.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics