Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Getting my 18 month old to walk

Einikel

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 7:45 pm
My 18 month old is still not walking. I’m not concerned and neither is my pediatrician. I was just wondering if there is any way I can encourage her. She does stand on her own but only when she is distracted. As soon as she realizes she promptly plops down. Any advice is appreciated.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:06 pm
I had one who didn't walk until 21 months out of pure stubbornness. If it makes you feel any better, once she started walking she became my best walker and would walk significant distances without a complaint.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:12 pm
My daughter's pt advised us to take her outside in socks and put her on the grass. We did it every day and slowly she started walking outside. I have told it to other people and it helped them too. I have no idea why it works but it does....

Einikel

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
My daughter's pt advised us to take her outside in socks and put her on the grass. We did it every day and slowly she started walking outside. I have told it to other people and it helped them too. I have no idea why it works but it does....

If only I had grass...

SingALong

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:23 pm
I had 2 kids like this. What worked was that I put them on shoes. One kid just walked across the room as soon as I put them on. I guess she liked the stability it provided. Other one kicked and resisted. But they were laced and she couldn’t take them off. After attempting to crawl around in them a few times, she finally started to take some steps.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:26 pm
She will walk when she is ready. My daughter started walking at 20 months once she decided she wanted to

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 7:47 am
I've heard late walkers are often advised to get shoes and that can help. Will she walk holding onto things or people? Have you tried a walker and getting her to push it along?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:44 am
My daughter wasn't walking at 20 months after 14 months of PT. People were advising me to get her shoes and she'll walk but I didn't want to buy shoes until she walks.
At 21 months my mother got her the really cheap crocs, from the dollar store. She was so excited and took a few steps that same day. By a few days later she was walking and I got her real shoes.

I don't think I would push them though. They'll walk soon enough when they're ready. On the other hand, she was much happier in daycare when she was finally walking and able to play with the other kids better.

Ora in town

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 8:44 am
Go up stairs?
In general around that age, they love going up stairs, and it helps build the necessary muscles...
So if she likes it, try and give her the opportunity to go up a few flights of stairs 1-2 times a day....

tichellady

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:44 am
Our pt encouraged us to get a play kitchen and a little stroller for her to play with at home. Not sure if they helped or not but she likes them

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:17 am
I’m in the camp that it will come when it will come, but therapy doesn’t hurt. Since you can’t start therapy now, definitely don’t force it. Wait and see and talk to your dr.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics