Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Message from Frum Orlando ER Doctor
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:24 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I just checked google flights and the prices are not cheap

This is costing ppl money. It’s not just $25 a person a flight + cheap villa - like $25/day so $2/person.
It doesn’t exist like that.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:35 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
1) Air travel hasn't ceased. My husband has to fly for work. What's the difference anyway?

2) If they drive, what's the big deal? Do you think no one is using gas pumps? People are going to grocery stores with masks and gloves, what's different about going to a rest area with masks and gloves?

Toilets - fecal matter is a carrier.
I go out a lot and believe things will open. But avoid public bathrooms.

Most businesses have cut down travel tremendously unless absolutely essential. In my compsny where most of the employed travel it is almost zero now. Travel in companies is only if considered government level essential.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:47 am
https://www.visitflorida.com/e......html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) urges all Americans to stay home and avoid non-essential travel. When outside, keep a safe social distance of at least six feet from other persons

All persons traveling to Florida from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Louisiana are required upon entry to Florida to self-isolate or self-quarantine for 14 days, or for the duration of their presence in the state, whichever is shorter. Roadside checkpoints are set up on interstates to check for potential COVID-19 cases coming into Florida from areas with substantial community spread of the virus. The checkpoints do not apply to commercial drivers or health workers. Click here and here for more information.
The governor has extended the prohibition on vacation rentals with Executive Order 20-112. Anyone currently in a vacation rental can finish their stay. Click here for more information.

Last edited by notshanarishona on Mon, May 11 2020, 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:52 am
So no more rentals for now.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:17 am
I'm wondering why certain people are always bothered by things other people do? So they flew and CAN MAYBE infect others.... You don't think it's right? Don't do it. You wonder how they can afford it? None of your business. So they're out and not social distancing..... You don't think it's right? Don't do it! You don't always have to 'see' everything. You live for yourself or others? YOU do what you want and let others do what they want.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:28 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I'm wondering why certain people are always bothered by things other people do? So they flew and CAN MAYBE infect others.... You don't think it's right? Don't do it. You wonder how they can afford it? None of your business. So they're out and not social distancing..... You don't think it's right? Don't do it! You don't always have to 'see' everything. You live for yourself or others? YOU do what you want and let others do what they want.

I think that many people see this as if the vacationers are showing up in Orlando with loaded guns and randomly swinging them around. I don't think you'd be of the "live and let live" philosophy if that was the case.

Although perhaps the attitude of "leave them alone" works just fine for extravagant purchases, it's much harder (and perhaps irresponsible) to ignore someone else's behavior when it directly impacts your own potential safety.

Although the numbers may be low, they are life and death numbers.

I do agree that the HATE is misplaced, as most of the people doing these types of things just don't see the situation in the same light, but it's also unreasonable to expect people to be all blasé about an influx of visitors, likely a percentage of which are carriers of a potentially deadly illness.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:12 am
I’m guessing if Orlando community is hosting a concert with food they don’t mind so much.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:44 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I’m guessing if Orlando community is hosting a concert with food they don’t mind so much.

Hello. Orlando resident here. The frum community is not hosting a concert with food. I can’t speak for the decision of any caterers here to accept or refuse business with tourists but that is obviously not a reflection of the general feelings of the community.

I have seen posts here and on other threads assuming that we don’t mind about the tourists coming, so I would like to correct the record. Yes, we are very concerned about the influx of tourists and see it as a threat to our safety.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hello. Orlando resident here. The frum community is not hosting a concert with food. I can’t speak for the decision of any caterers here to accept or refuse business with tourists but that is obviously not a reflection of the general feelings of the community.

I have seen posts here and on other threads assuming that we don’t mind about the tourists coming, so I would like to correct the record. Yes, we are very concerned about the influx of tourists and see it as a threat to our safety.

Another Florida resident here: we mind terribly.

Also, anyone who thinks that everyone is self-isolating is delusional.

There are NYs walking into frum stores WITHOUT masks and making us sick.

Its not live and let live. Its please don't kill is and our loved ones.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The ad said Chabad of Orlando

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:57 am
I live in South Florida
From what I understand Central and North Florida has opened up
The mall is open
The shuls are allowed to open
Most places are open
With limited occupancy so you wait outside Walmart Publix until it’s your turn
And on the coast Beaches are open

I’m not sure the Mikvah rules there, but by us we are now allowing ppl from outside the area, but ask them to be last. Our Mikvah is not too busy especially this time of year. Maybe, on a busy night 8 ppl. Last is around 10 pm.
Also we ask if you have any symptoms to postpone.
Ppl stay in their car to wait until they can come in

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I live in South Florida
From what I understand Central and North Florida has opened up
The mall is open
The shuls are allowed to open
Most places are open
With limited occupancy so you wait outside Walmart Publix until it’s your turn
And on the coast Beaches are open

I’m not sure the Mikvah rules there, but by us we are now allowing ppl from outside the area, but ask them to be last. Our Mikvah is not too busy especially this time of year. Maybe, on a busy night 8 ppl. Last is around 10 pm.
Also we ask if you have any symptoms to postpone.
Ppl stay in their car to wait until they can come in

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:59 am
The ad said Chabad of Orlando

Strange that they would have a concert but not let OOT's into their mikvah.
Guess money really does talk.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:01 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Strange that they would have a concert but not let OOT's into their mikvah.
Guess money really does talk.

They didn’t allow ppl Pesach time.
Things changed
By us, South Florida, nothing is open, no shuls, but we have started taking ppl from outside the area for Mikvah

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:09 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
They didn’t allow ppl Pesach time.
Things changed
By us, South Florida, nothing is open, no shuls, but we have started taking ppl from outside the area for Mikvah

I am hoping the beach will be open before I have to go again. I am a resident and really upset about this decision. It is hurtful that my safety is considered secondary to the convenience of people who could not care less about our Community.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:22 pm

Did you see the ad? It's a DRIVE IN concert. Meaning you stay in your cars, and so does everyone else. The food is essentially takeout. Not a buffet.
https://www.jewishorlando.com/.....t.htm

Not sure how you can draw any conclusions about tourists from here. Jewish people DO actually live in Orlando you know, and it's a joint project with several cities.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:27 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I am hoping the beach will be open before I have to go again. I am a resident and really upset about this decision. It is hurtful that my safety is considered secondary to the convenience of people who could not care less about our Community.

But they NEED to go on vacation! Its a necessity! They CAN'T POSSIBLY live without it.
People might get sick and die? Oh well, haters gonna hate
/sarcasm

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:30 pm
Just chalk it up to a bored poster trying to create controversy where there is none, lol. Resurrecting a old thread like this.

And, if it's chabad sponsored, the audience they are hoping to attract isn't NY frum tourists, rather non-religious FL residents.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:30 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Did you see the ad? It's a DRIVE IN concert. Meaning you stay in your cars, and so does everyone else. The food is essentially takeout. Not a buffet.
https://www.jewishorlando.com/.....t.htm

Not sure how you can draw any conclusions about tourists from here. Jewish people DO actually live in Orlando you know, and it's a joint project with several cities.

And what if someone with an open window sneezes, and the person delivering the food to the car walks into their sneeze?
Just seems a little idiosyncratic to be hosting a live concert during a pandemic when Orlando is so intent on limiting the spread. If they really cared, they'd hold a Zoom concert like the rest of the Jewish world.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Just chalk it up to a bored poster trying to create controversy where there is none, lol. Resurrecting a old thread like this.

And, if it's chabad sponsored, the audience they are hoping to attract isn't NY frum tourists, rather non-religious FL residents.

I’m not bored.
I was being sincere that if a community is making a huge concert they are attracting the tourists. I felt like I was defending a community trying to protect themselves and then was shocked to see this event advertised.

This isn’t a cheap event to host. Gad elbaz is expensive - unless he did this pro bono. I kind of assumed there weren’t enough full time jews in Orlando to support an event like this.
Normally events for the non frum are free or cheaper. The price tag on this was high for Chabad type events like this.
But I guess in Orlando this is normal - so sorry.

(And it’s not an old thread - it was on the home page as there were posts last night. )
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics