Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning for guests!

MonseyMommy3

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:22 pm
Am I the only one who runs around frantically cleaning before guests arrive or if I know they will pop in for a quick visit? TMI I know everyone does this to some degree, but I'm wondering why I can't just be fully "okay" with myself/my houses condition and how things are... I also find myself apologizing or feeling embarrassed if people are here and my house does not look spotless.
This is on my mind because we haven't had guests for weeks like everyone else, but this past week a friend told me shes stopping by to borrow clothing for a simcha... my house was clean in 30 minutes LOL, but in the process my kid spilled crackers all over the floor, I totally over reacted and was so stressed during the whole ordeal.... any tips to get over this? I hate feeling superficial.. Banging head
thanks!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:44 pm
Yup same

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:53 pm
Under normal times my house is photo ready because of the clearing lady. And I still clean, polish, and put away personal items. Totally normal.

Rappel

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:08 pm
Guilty! But I excuse myself because hey, I'm finally motivated to clean my house. LOL

watergirl

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:12 pm
Someone coming for a dress is not a guest. No way would I clean the house for that reason.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 2:22 pm
Guests? Simchas?

What are these strange words?

silverlining3

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 4:46 pm
MonseyMommy3 wrote:
Am I the only one who runs around frantically cleaning before guests arrive or if I know they will pop in for a quick visit? TMI I know everyone does this to some degree, but I'm wondering why I can't just be fully "okay" with myself/my houses condition and how things are... I also find myself apologizing or feeling embarrassed if people are here and my house does not look spotless.
This is on my mind because we haven't had guests for weeks like everyone else, but this past week a friend told me shes stopping by to borrow clothing for a simcha... my house was clean in 30 minutes LOL, but in the process my kid spilled crackers all over the floor, I totally over reacted and was so stressed during the whole ordeal.... any tips to get over this? I hate feeling superficial.. Banging head
thanks!

Perhaps this post motivated me to clean my house now. Kitchen, dining room and bathroom. So thanks
My father-in-law once called my hub if he can stop by for an 'asher yatzar'?! I should've said, wait few min till I tidy up my house, hu? Hahaha sometimes it's better when we don't know and feel the need to excuse.
No, I'm not the type to get a nervous wreck when getting short notice from guest. I just pick up what's in the way. That's me! And in the long run it they and I benefit. When I go to people they don't feel pressured to have a spotless house so I'm always welcomed Smile

bigsis144

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 4:51 pm
I treat it as my solemn duty to have my house be so messy that anyone who visits feels better about the state of their own house 😆

amother
White

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 5:20 pm
I think it's perfectly normal to clean up before ppl come.
My house is sometimes clean and sometimes messy, varies throughout the day. I obviously can't drive my kids nuts that it should stay spotless all the time when we're all home but doesn't mean that I would let anyone see it like that!
I know it will be spotless in an hour but the person coming doesn't know that. I dont need them to keep that image of my house in their head.
However I don't go crazy if someone walks in on my mess with no advance notice!! Wink

Radish

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 6:11 pm
This is totally me. If I hear that anyone might stop over I'm already washing the last few dishes and putting any random stuff away from view. Even for a plumber...

I think it's natural to want to give a clean and neat impression regardless of who it is visiting.

And best of all I get a clean house that way. Just tell me you're popping over and voila Wink

MonseyMommy3

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:16 pm
Thanks so much for all of your responses! I love the honesty LOL

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:38 pm
No matter how much I clean before guests, I always say , “excuse the mess, please “. Partly out of my own insecurities and partly to impress, I guess.

amother
White

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:03 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
No matter how much I clean before guests, I always say , “excuse the mess, please “. Partly out of my own insecurities and partly to impress, I guess.

My pet peeve! I hate when ppl apologize for the mess that's not there in a spotless house... Shame on you

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:07 pm
If I have guests coming for a meal or overnight stay, I make sure that the house is clean and tidy. But when someone comes over to borrow something, especially someone I know, the house stays as is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics