Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Torani Community in Israel
Previous  1  2

nat89

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:26 am
Rappel wrote:
I was all ready to help, and then I read your #3 requirement.

Sad

I'm sorry, most of my knowledge is useless to you. But if your perspective on living in Yesha changes, let me know, and I'll be happy to tell you everything I can!

I looked up Yesha, it's not behind the green line, although close to gaza. Unless I got the wrong place?!

We could be flexible on point 3 if everything else is good. But definitely not on the gaza border.

nat89

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Just out of curiosity OP (obviously don't need to answer), why not over the 'green line'? It's ideal for you in terms of nature, affordability etc. Most (if not all, at least who I have encountered) torani Jews in Israel are very much in favor of yishuvim, both living in them and supporting them ideologically.

the biggest issue is that we don't like the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere and just surrounded by arabs. we also feel that there isn't usually enough of infrastructure and you have to rely on a big city sometimes quite far away, like Jerusalem. we really don't like jerusalem, it's too hectic for us and wouldnt want that to be our main city to have to rely on etc.

the other issue is fear of the israeli goverment one day kicking us out and giving the land back, although the fear is probably not something that would make it a no for us.

places up north can have a feeling of being a bit more in the middle of nowhere, but its very different as all there are a lot of jewish cities surrounding you. if there is somewhere like that too behind the green line and it ticks everything else, then it could be a possibility maybe.

Rappel

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:46 am
nat89 wrote:
I looked up Yesha, it's not behind the green line, although close to gaza. Unless I got the wrong place?!

We could be flexible on point 3 if everything else is good. But definitely not on the gaza border.

Yesha is the common acronym for Yehuda and Shomron, יש"ע. (The ע stands for Gaza. It's not relevant to the name right now, but people still commonly use the acronym because it's vernacular. ) Aka, all the areas over the Green Line.

I'm reading your responses, OP, and something doesn't add up. It feels like you're making your decision to exclude Yesha based off of hearsay, and possibly not very well-informed hearsay. Would you like to open this up for discussion, or leave the issue as is? I'm all for respecting people's choices, but I'm a bit concerned that you've not been given the opportunity to explore and make an informed decision. Most Torani communities are, by definition, in Yesha. If they're not, then they're still closely connected to it.

Last edited by Rappel on Tue, May 12 2020, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:47 am
nat89 wrote:
the biggest issue is that we don't like the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere and just surrounded by arabs. we also feel that there isn't usually enough of infrastructure and you have to rely on a big city sometimes quite far away, like Jerusalem. we really don't like jerusalem, it's too hectic for us and wouldnt want that to be our main city to have to rely on etc.

the other issue is fear of the israeli goverment one day kicking us out and giving the land back, although the fear is probably not something that would make it a no for us.

places up north can have a feeling of being a bit more in the middle of nowhere, but its very different as all there are a lot of jewish cities surrounding you. if there is somewhere like that too behind the green line and it ticks everything else, then it could be a possibility maybe.

All of that really depends on where you live. There are small yishuvim in surrounded by Arab villages, and there are places that are large and linked to major highways. Maale Adumim, for example, is over the green line but is so big it has internal busses.

By the way, Yesha is an acronym for Yehuda, Shomron and Aza. It's still in use to refer to the West Bank, even though Israel has pulled out of Gaza.

Places up north are actually quite likely to be surrounded by Arab villages too, and much less likely to have big city services and Anglo populations.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out places over the green line. They are likely to be the best match for you, financially, socially and religiously. You really should visit and see for yourself.

ETA, I see I cross posted with Rappel. Sorry to repeat what she said.

nat89

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
All of that really depends on where you live. There are small yishuvim in surrounded by Arab villages, and there are places that are large and linked to major highways. Maale Adumim, for example, is over the green line but is so big it has internal busses.

By the way, Yesha is an acronym for Yehuda, Shomron and Aza. It's still in use to refer to the West Bank, even though Israel has pulled out of Gaza.

Places up north are actually quite likely to be surrounded by Arab villages too, and much less likely to have big city services and Anglo populations.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out places over the green line. They are likely to be the best match for you, financially, socially and religiously.

Thank you. if we were to consider it, what are the top areas you would recommend then?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 11:51 am
nat89 wrote:
Thank you. if we were to consider it, what are the top areas you would recommend then?

I suggested Alon Shvut in Gush Etzion, but you might also like some of the larger yishuvim in the Shomron.

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 12:23 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I suggested Alon Shvut in Gush Etzion, but you might also like some of the larger yishuvim in the Shomron.

Alon Shvut and maybe Neve Daniel and even some neighborhoods of Efrat might suit your needs very nicely.
Homes are more affordable than Jerusalem but not cheap.
The Gush though is a satellite of Jerusalem so that may not be what you are looking for after all.

Rappel

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 1:12 pm
etky wrote:
Alon Shvut and maybe Neve Daniel and even some neighborhoods of Efrat might suit your needs very nicely.
Homes are more affordable than Jerusalem but not cheap.
The Gush though is a satellite of Jerusalem so that may not be what you are looking for after all.

Hey OP! If Yerushalayim is too loud for you for regular visits, you could base yourself in one of the yishuvim around Ariel.

Though, OP, your desire for a town large enough to have large shopping centers means that there will be a variety of dress in the area, even if the core group is Torani.

Among big towns, you might look into:
Eli
Bet El
Psagot
Shavei Shomron
Kedumim

If you're interested in considering smaller towns with a more consistent Torani feel, you might consider:
*Elon Moreh (though it's far, it has anything basic you need)
*Nofei Nechemia - tiny, but right next to Ariel.
*Kochav Hashahar (nearest shopping center is before Yerushalayim, in Shaar Binyamin. Nearest govt offices are Maaleh Adumim. Which leaves Yerushalayim near enough for fun family trips, but no need for long lines. Smile)
*Bracha

I'm sure there are more which match your criteria, but I'm bushed. I'll think on it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:24 am
I thought of Mevo Horon, it's slightly outside of the green line, only has school up to 8th grade, and not a big Anglo community, but if you do a pilot trip I think it would be worth checking out.

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:45 am
What is it about Yerushalayim that you dislike as your big city? You might only know the city as a tourist, maybe some of these issues are different for locals.
Karney Shomron is a large yishuv with a mixed group but many Anglos and many Torani families. It has a lot of facilities, a shopping center, medical clinics, bank, a few take-out places etc. 15 minutes from the small city of Kfar Saba (has a huge mall, many medical facilities, major hospital, also some tech companies) and people commute to TA area for work. Not a huge selection for schools though.
Alon Shvut does sound perfect but it’s really a suburb of Yerushalayim.
I’d suggest Lod but event thought it’s in the Green Line it’s a mixed Jewish Arab city. You’ll find that many of the more Torani communities are more challenging as far as location.
Forgot to add that you should check out Harish too.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:44 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I’d suggest Lod but event thought it’s in the Green Line it’s a mixed Jewish Arab city. You’ll find that many of the more Torani communities are more challenging as far as location.
Forgot to add that you should check out Harish too.

I was in Lod today, and with all due respect to its Jewish inhabitants, I found the crowded buildings, narrow streets and the overall rundown appearance to be depressing. There is some new housing in the chabad area, but it's still surrounded by scummy looking buildings. My friend is dati leumi and said she was expecting the garin torani to be more... well, torani, than what it is in reality.

Harish seems a lot more promising. I'm going to check it out on Friday so can update if someone's interested

liso

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 12:48 pm
OP, your family description sounds like mine and we are looking at making Aliyah to Bet Shemesh, I had been considering RBS Alef but I had similar concerns.
We need to be close to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem for work but also dont want to live in either.
Can I ask, did you look at Sheinfeld in Bet Shemesh?

nat89

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:05 am
liso wrote:
OP, your family description sounds like mine and we are looking at making Aliyah to Bet Shemesh, I had been considering RBS Alef but I had similar concerns.
We need to be close to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem for work but also dont want to live in either.
Can I ask, did you look at Sheinfeld in Bet Shemesh?

If we had bought in RBS Aleph we probably wouldn't have even thought of moving elsewhere. Yes it also has the issue of too many hareidim in the area for us, but if you're in the right area it could be great. Not ideal, but definitely better than Gimmel 2 for us.

We are very much looking into Nofei Hashemesh (next to Sheinfeld). That place looks perfect. But it's also pricey. If we were to sell our place in Gimmel2, I think we'd rather just move somewhere totally different for much much cheaper. But if we stay, Nofei Hashemesh is a top contender. I'm just not sure if you would first move into our place for a few years and then move down the road later.

I just feel beit shemesh has great things going for it but there is a very strong presence of hareidim which just isn't for us. And if we are moving elsewhere, it just makes sense to get somewhere that you get a lot more for your money, as long as there is a strong torani community. We are even considering Hispin, just need to look into it.

nat89

Post Tue, Jul 20 2021, 5:18 pm
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted this, and we had moved to our place in RBS and had a baby since then, so things have been busy. We still want to sell our place and find the right place for us.

Someone mentioned that Kfar HaRoeh would be perfect for us, but didn't really elaborate why.
Does anyone know more about that area, anyone that lives there? Is there housing available or is it more likely to build your own house there?

Thanks, I'd be interested to look into that.

We are still considering the North and Golan as serious contenders. Primarily because a very big importance to us is an affordable house with a garden.

Thanks everyone again in advance.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 12:11 pm
nat89 wrote:
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted this, and we had moved to our place in RBS and had a baby since then, so things have been busy. We still want to sell our place and find the right place for us.

Someone mentioned that Kfar HaRoeh would be perfect for us, but didn't really elaborate why.
Does anyone know more about that area, anyone that lives there? Is there housing available or is it more likely to build your own house there?

Thanks, I'd be interested to look into that.

We are still considering the North and Golan as serious contenders. Primarily because a very big importance to us is an affordable house with a garden.

Thanks everyone again in advance.

OP, where did you end up moving?

lioncub

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:39 am
Reading your thread years later. Looking for a similar thing!
I love the north, so beautiful. I want to find an area where people are frum, good yeshiva for my boys, AND beautiful green open spaces!?!?

What did you do in the end? Did you discover new areas?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions