Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Sourdough bread in bread machine?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 9:57 am
Has anyone done this? Can you please give exact instructions?

Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 10:18 am
I can. do you have a starter?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 10:55 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I can. do you have a starter?

I am in the middle of making one! It's something I always wanted to try so I'm enjoying the process!

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 11:31 am
Im having issues with mine, maybe you can help I’m on day 7 and don’t see any activity. I feed it twice a day 32grms bread flour 8grms whole wheat flour and 40 grams water. First few days I saw many bubbles and rising but now see something. I leave it in the kitchen. Oven without light seems too hot.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:41 pm
try baking with it. it's probably fine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:50 pm
chocolate moose, can you please give me instructions for the bread machine? I'm using the time that the starter is building up to learn all about it.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:05 pm
I made a starter, just with rye flour... takes about 4 days

Rye flour ist best to make a starter, because it's the cereal those bacteria like best... so you will find the biggest quantity on rye flour...

You have to double the amount of flour & water every 18 hours or so... you start with 3 spoons flour & 3 spoons water, then add agein 3 spoons flour & 3 sppons water, then 6 spoons flour & 6 spoons water, then 12 & 12... Prefered temperature is between 25°C and 30°C, it also works under 25, but then it takes longer...

Then I made bread using the whole starter, 1/3 rye flour, 1/3 spelt flour, 1/3 white flour, water (a bit less then flour), salt (and sometimes I add Caraway seed). I kneaded by hand, 15 minutes, and used a bit of oil to make the kneading easier...

Then you have to let proof over night... the warmer the temperature, the quicker it raises (as long as it is not so hot that you kill the bacteria, which is around 40°C). The longer you let it proof, the more the sour taste (which I like), and also the longer you have the starter the more sour the taste..
Then I take away a portion the size of an egg for the new starter for the next week, leave it out for 1 day and then put it in the fridge. You can either use the whole starter and take the next one from the finished dough (I find that more hygenic) or use just half of the starter and feed it again).

Then I put it in cake molds (rises more easily then if you just put it like that), proof again for about 1-2 hours and bake... for about 40 min to 1h... helps if you put a bit of water in the oven..

Tjhe starter is less efficient when it is young... so it is good to not take only rye flour, but also say 1/2 white flour at the beginning, that's easier... later, when the starter is well established, you can also use only rye... In the beginning, it might also help to cheat with a bit of yeast... The starter quality improves over time, as long as you don't forget it for too long and kill it... it should be fed every week... so it works out great if you make sourdough bread once a week and take away a starter for next week...

Bread machine works fine too... however, in some cases the crust stays a bit too soft for my taste... and you have to think of taking away the new starter before it bakes... or keep half the starter from the beginning...

Last edited by Ora in town on Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ora in town

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:13 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
Im having issues with mine, maybe you can help I’m on day 7 and don’t see any activity. I feed it twice a day 32grms bread flour 8grms whole wheat flour and 40 grams water. First few days I saw many bubbles and rising but now see something. I leave it in the kitchen. Oven without light seems too hot.

The bacteria double in 18-24 hours (depending on the temperature, you should keep it around 24°C, if it's warmer all the better, then it doubles quicker, but not over 35°C, because then you might kill it)... I.e. you have to double the quantity of flour (and water) in that period of time.

You start with 3 spoons of flour and 3 spoons of water... after 18 hours or so you double, you add again 3 spoons of flour and 3 spoons of water.
After 18 hours you double again, I.e. you add 6 spoons of flour and 6 spoons of water. Then 12 spoons of flour and 12 spoons of water... And then you can start baking... I let proof during the night, almost 24 hours...

You are not supposed to see "activity", it's like a grey slime, but it should start to tast sour...

Ora in town

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
chocolate moose, can you please give me instructions for the bread machine? I'm using the time that the starter is building up to learn all about it.

It's more or less like challe, just that the proofing times and baking times are longer...

cbsp

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:25 pm
Ora in town wrote:
I made a starter, just with rye flour... takes about 4 days

Rye flour ist best to make a starter, because it's the cereal those bacteria like best... so you will find the biggest quantity on rye flour...

You have to double the amount of flour & water every 18 hours or so... you start with 3 spoons flour & 3 spoons water, then add agein 3 spoons flour & 3 sppons water, then 6 spoons flour & 6 spoons water, then 12 & 12... Prefered temperature is between 25°C and 30°C, it also works under 25, but then it takes longer...

Then I made bread using the whole starter, 1/3 rye flour, 1/3 spelt flour, 1/3 white flour, water (a bit less then flour), salt (and sometimes I add Caraway seed). I kneaded by hand, 15 minutes, and used a bit of oil to make the kneading easier...

Then you have to let proof over night... the warmer the temperature, the quicker it raises (as long as it is not so hot that you kill the bacteria, which is around 40°C). The longer you let it proof, the more the sour taste (which I like), and also the longer you have the starter the more sour the taste..
Then I take away a portion the size of an egg for the new starter for the next week, leave it out for 1 day and then put it in the fridge. You can either use the whole starter and take the next one from the finished dough (I find that more hygenic) or use just half of the starter and feed it again).

Then I put it in cake molds (rises more easily then if you just put it like that), proof again for about 1-2 hours and bake... for about 40 min to 1h... helps if you put a bit of water in the oven..

Tjhe starter is less efficient when it is young... so it is good to not take only rye flour, but also say 1/2 white flour at the beginning, that's easier... later, when the starter is well established, you can also use only rye... In the beginning, it might also help to cheat with a bit of yeast... The starter quality improves over time, as long as you don't forget it for too long and kill it... it should be fed every week... so it works out great if you make sourdough bread once a week and take away a starter for next week...

Bread machine works fine too... however, in some cases the crust stays a bit too soft for my taste... and you have to think of taking away the new starter before it bakes... or keep half the starter from the beginning...

Thank you for this detailed post.

One day...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:54 pm
Thanks for all the replies!

I. Looking for a tried and true recipe and method in a bread machine.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'd be happy to. But post under your own screen name here, OK? Why be anonymous?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:15 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I'd be happy to. But post under your own screen name here, OK? Why be anonymous?

Honestly, because I've been asking on a few chats that I am on, where I know that I have fellow members. I will pm you so that you can be more comfortable.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 3:12 pm
Bumping this up in case you didn't see that I PMed you a while ago.....

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 9:34 am
At this point, I'm really just curious.

Would someone really not share a recipe because I posted as amother?! Especially after I explained why and pm'ed her?

I'm not judging, just really curious about what the thought process behind this is.

MiriFr

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At this point, I'm really just curious.

Would someone really not share a recipe because I posted as amother?! Especially after I explained why and pm'ed her?

I'm not judging, just really curious about what the thought process behind this is.

It's easier without the bread machine. Fewer things to wash out.

challahchallah

Post Tue, May 12 2020, 10:51 am
King Arthur has a recipe. I usually find their recipes to be pretty reliable.

https://www.kingarthurflour.co.....ecipe

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:01 am
thanks to all who responded!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking