Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone else NOT eligible for everyone stimulus & needs it?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:20 pm
These posts are very validating. I feel like people think that if you make around 200k you’re very well off but it’s so far from the truth! We are so careful about what we spend on food, clothing etc. but since we are expected to pay full tuition and higher taxes amongst other obligations we sometimes don’t make it to the end of the month without falling behind.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you are already collecting disability, you don't get squat.

If you worked part time, doing odd jobs, you don't get anything unless you filed.

In Israel, you don't get anything unless you can prove that you worked at least 20 hours a week, for the last 16 months, and that you have tax returns.

The poorest, most disadvantaged people get nothing.

People who work but don't file don't deserve anything. I don't see a problem.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:36 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
We also didn’t get, we made $198k on the button in 2018. We have zero income right now and are desperate. We deferred payment on everything we could and cut off our health insurance.
The stimulus check could’ve been a game changer for us.

File your 2019 taxes.

aliavi

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
People who work but don't file don't deserve anything. I don't see a problem.

There is a minimum income requirement. If a person doesn’t make that much money they do not have to file even if taxes were withheld and they would likely get the money back.

Anyone that meets the requirements for the stimulus should get it. It’s there for them to have.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 9:31 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you are already collecting disability, you don't get squat.

If you worked part time, doing odd jobs, you don't get anything unless you filed.

In Israel, you don't get anything unless you can prove that you worked at least 20 hours a week, for the last 16 months, and that you have tax returns.

The poorest, most disadvantaged people get nothing.

SSI, SSDI, and Social Security beneficiaries will be getting the stimulus.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:11 pm
out-of-towner wrote:

Do you know if you have to fill out a nonfiler report on irs sight if it’s a monthly electronic payment?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:21 pm
Most people who earn salaries higher than the income limit for their family size are actually earning less.
1- more taxes owed
2- higher payments for medical insurance
3- no help with food ( no wic or food stamps)
4- higher tuition
5- no fafsa eligibility ( for college aged kids)
6- no heap( for heating )
7- no discount for phones

By the time you factor this, they are actually worse off then. I know this because I have been in both situations.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:41 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Do you know if you have to fill out a nonfiler report on irs sight if it’s a monthly electronic payment?

From what I have seen relating to my clients (who do not file taxes just FYI, as their only income is from SSI and SSDI) it will be automatically deposited to their account.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 10:58 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
From what I have seen relating to my clients (who do not file taxes just FYI, as their only income is from SSI and SSDI) it will be automatically deposited to their account.

Thank you very much. Am trying to help my parents figure out wether to fill out the nonfiler form online. And was getting conflicting answers.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Thank you very much. Am trying to help my parents figure out wether to fill out the nonfiler form online. And was getting conflicting answers.

I don't have energy to look through my work emails now, but if you are still interested tomorrow I will try to find some links that have the answers in an official format. I will tell you that I spoke to Social Security this week with a client regarding amother matter, and was told that this client, who receives Social Security via a paper check (as opposed to direct deposit) will receive the stimulus, not just those with direct deposit. Other than that information, the Social Security hotline could not tell me any other details.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:35 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
OP if your husband is self employed you are eligible for the PPP loan. If you can find a bank that will take your application its worth applying.

The PPP loan is to cover payroll, you need to have employees to be eligible. It's also extremely difficult for small businesses to get it. Most of the first round went to large corporations and they expect the same to happen with the second round.

There are other options. For the first time people who are self employed can file for unemployment. Theres the SBA EIDL loan. There are different loans and grants coming out every day. Some states are offering loans. You really have to keep on top of it.

There are people who are putting out lists of what's available. Someone sent me one yesterday that had grants from Facebook, Verizon and spanx on it. They all have different requirements and you never know what you'll find that will work for you.

Check out this link. It has a lot of information for everyone, not just business owners
http://chaiplus1.com/
It gets updated all the time so keep checking it

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:48 pm
There is alot of misinformation here. If you make more money you do not pay more taxes! This does not make sense! Taxes work by intervals. I do not know the exacts but it's something like this:0- 70k pays 12 percent taxes then whatever you make from 70-130k you pay 17 percent then on whatever you make from 130-160k you pay 20 percent tax and so on. But everyone pays the SAME percent up until 70k.

Next point: you pay full tuition because of your income. You no longer have that income so now you must go to the school and explain the situation and request a break.

dbw

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:07 am
I live in Israel but I work for a US nonprofit. I filed a 2019 joint return with my husband who has an ITIN and I heard if there is an ITIN on the return you don't get anything.

I got an email from an accounting firm that they can work on getting the payment for me but they want a huge amount of money up front.

Is there any way to get it with an ITIN. Would it help if I file an amended separate return? Does anyone know how to do this on my own so I don't have to pay the firm?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No bashing please.

Our tax returns are over 200k and we are not eligible for the stimulus. This is gross and we pay a fortune of money in taxes (dh is self employed plus we are in a higher tax bracket). We aren’t left with that much after taxes and with a family of 7 we have lots of expenses. Everyone I speak to seems to be eligible for the stimulus- am I the only one??? Could really use the extra money right now- DH’s income is def lower now...

You could be me! Also a family of 7 and over 200,000, but after taxes and tuition and student loans we are barely making it. Our income plummeted since coronavirus. Still, not eligible.

Congratulations to everyone who is, though! It isn't often we get a "gift" from the government.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:12 am
out-of-towner wrote:

Just wanted to thank you again

My parents received their checks. Did not fill out a nonfiler form. It’s not necessary for retirees who live off ss and did not file taxes.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:17 am
Notsobusy wrote:
The PPP loan is to cover payroll, you need to have employees to be eligible. It's also extremely difficult for small businesses to get it. Most of the first round went to large corporations and they expect the same to happen with the second round.

There are other options. For the first time people who are self employed can file for unemployment. Theres the SBA EIDL loan. There are different loans and grants coming out every day. Some states are offering loans. You really have to keep on top of it.

There are people who are putting out lists of what's available. Someone sent me one yesterday that had grants from Facebook, Verizon and spanx on it. They all have different requirements and you never know what you'll find that will work for you.

Check out this link. It has a lot of information for everyone, not just business owners

This is not true! You can be self employed and get the PPP loan!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:51 am
dbw wrote:
I live in Israel but I work for a US nonprofit. I filed a 2019 joint return with my husband who has an ITIN and I heard if there is an ITIN on the return you don't get anything.

I got an email from an accounting firm that they can work on getting the payment for me but they want a huge amount of money up front.

Is there any way to get it with an ITIN. Would it help if I file an amended separate return? Does anyone know how to do this on my own so I don't have to pay the firm?

I don't have an answer for you - but if you file an an amended return you will probably owe tax for 2018 tax year (with interest). It may not mathematically make sense, even if it would 'trigger' a stimulus check for you.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:12 am
Notsobusy wrote:

You can Claim the owner as an employee of the business

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:34 pm
Lovemy5 wrote:
I’m not sure if I’m eligible as we’re very close to the threshold but if you go on the IRS website you will see that the $198K is for a couple filing jointly, no kids. Each kid, up to age 17 as if the filing year adds $10K to the threshold. So if you have 5 kids under 17, your threshold will be $248K and you may be eligible for the check. The amount varies based on how close you are to the threshold. I didn’t quite understand the formula but you can see it on the IRS site.

Has anyone with children and income between 198k-248k (5 kids as the example above) successfully gotten their stimulus?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone with children and income between 198k-248k (5 kids as the example above) successfully gotten their stimulus?

Yes we did. Our AGI in 2018 was in the 210-220k range and we have 4 kids and received a bit over 1k.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics