Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please help me figure out options from Brooklyn to? SI?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 8:58 pm
Hello
We need help to figure out what iptions are in terms of moving. We are currently in Brooklyn, and would like to move out to a community that has more affordable housing. We were thinking of Staten Island- near families, the children would be able to continue to bus to their yeshiva, continue to receive NYS services (o.t. p.t. speech and seit therapies). We are Litvish, husband in Kollel. My job is half work from home and half in Brooklyn. All sounding good and then.... we look into housing prices.
Oh boy!
If we are doing this big move, we would like to have grass, backyard and more space in the house.
The prices for Toms River get you double the property for half the price of a small attached house in Staten Island.
Another thing to consider is the community, I have been hearing it is mostly chassidish families moving in. We love chassidim, but would also like to have some of similar derech minded families with younger children.
Any ideas?
Thank you

doctorima

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:33 pm
There are some young litvish families in SI - check out the Niles Place shul - but most of the ones moving there and driving up housing prices are chassidim. If you're not happy with the crowd and cost, perhaps look into Bayswater or North Woodmere.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:32 pm
I consider myself young litvish.we don’t own a house here and neither do many of my friends (young litvish) they are expensive

Where would you send your kids to Brooklyn or RJJ!

doctorima

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:36 pm
OP said she wants to be able to continue sending her kids to their (Brooklyn) yeshiva.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:42 pm
doctorima wrote:
There are some young litvish families in SI - check out the Niles Place shul - but most of the ones moving there and driving up housing prices are chassidim. If you're not happy with the crowd and cost, perhaps look into Bayswater or North Woodmere.

Thanks for your suggestions! Will look into them as well!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:46 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I consider myself young litvish.we don’t own a house here and neither do many of my friends (young litvish) they are expensive

Hi! This is the issue that I am facing- what is your plan long term? Most probably to move out to more affordable housing correct? Follow my train of thought for a few minutes and see that we are headed - to our crowd moving away and a constant turnover of young families. I would love to be wrong!!
I am looking for a community to grow old with...
We would continue sending to Brooklyn yeshiva so can continue receiving the providers etc and possibly would continue going to the therapy centers in Brooklyn as well.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:35 am
As a SI resident, I would honestly tell you to stay in Brooklyn or move nearby. SI has all kinds of people and as a diff poster said, the Niles shul would be right up your alley. Almost everyone gets along here so any area would be up your alley. Certain streets are more fuller with chassidim and others are less. Why then am I saying you should stay in or close to Brooklyn? The traveling back and forth is a nightmare. On any given day the verrazano is backed up and it takes forever the commute.
If you still want to move here, I would recommend sending to the local RJJ school. It's easy to transfer the boe stuff and FYI in SI it's much easier and the process is quicker to get approved than in Brooklyn.

Best of luck with your decision.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 2:30 pm

Hi, we are now thinking of renting but keep on hearing that there is nowhere to rent without condition to buy and so on. Whom can we contact to find a rental? We want to make sure we are ready to settle in SI before buying...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, we are now thinking of renting but keep on hearing that there is nowhere to rent without condition to buy and so on. Whom can we contact to find a rental? We want to make sure we are ready to settle in SI before buying...

I don’t know who told you that but it’s not true

Call Shua Katz +1 (718) 705-8859

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 4:44 pm
I don’t know who told you that but it’s not true

Call Shua Katz +1 (718) 705-8859

That is what the realtor that we spoke to said...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating