Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Public school grab in go

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:18 am
I heard they might upgrade the menu and give more of a variety of food.

Is it true?

Anyone know what they are giving out for breakfast and lunch?

Is it still the same 3 that the are giving out?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:04 am
Anyone got today?
Please post the menu

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone got today?
Please post the menu

I went to the Flatbush location. For breakfast they gave cereal, muffin, and milk, for lunch they gave tuna, small roll, orange, and milk. In the past they gave two different breakfasts but this time there were no choices. Hopefully they will give a better variety if this lockdown continues.

amother
White

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:11 pm
It is unlikely that the meals will change. They are equivalent to the non-kosher meals provided by the DOE

Sandwich
Veggie
Fruit
Milk

These are the same sort of meals that are provided in the standard summer program that NYC has and are in line with what the schools provide for off-school consumption.

They are intended to provide adequate nutrition and be easy for the system to distribute. They also are intended for children to be able to eat without heating or any other kind of preparation.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
It is unlikely that the meals will change. They are equivalent to the non-kosher meals provided by the DOE

Sandwich
Veggie
Fruit
Milk

These are the same sort of meals that are provided in the standard summer program that NYC has and are in line with what the schools provide for off-school consumption.

They are intended to provide adequate nutrition and be easy for the system to distribute. They also are intended for children to be able to eat without heating or any other kind of preparation.

The non-kosher meals offer a much better variety. I have seen bagels and cream cheese, sunbutter and jelly, cereal and milk, yogurt with granola or muffins, graham crackers, hummus and chips, different types of deli sandwiches some with cheese, corn, beans, etc. So yes, there are many more options for the kosher meals if they want to give a variety.
The private schools offer a variety of meals as well so why cant this particular vendor from the DOE offer a variety as well?

amother
White

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
The non-kosher meals offer a much better variety. I have seen bagels and cream cheese, sunbutter and jelly, cereal and milk, yogurt with granola or muffins, graham crackers, hummus and chips, different types of deli sandwiches some with cheese, corn, beans, etc. So yes, there are many more options for the kosher meals if they want to give a variety.
The private schools offer a variety of meals as well so why cant this particular vendor from the DOE offer a variety as well?

Probably because they must use the most restrictive hecksher for the kosher products which limits what can be served.

Cost is a factor since kosher food is more expensive and there is a relatively small amount of food so there isn't the volume savings. They needed to use a vendor who was willing to supply at a certain price and had the capability to deliver in the volume necessary - that narrows the field significantly.

Private Jewish schools are in a completely different category. Perhaps those who are involved with food provided by them could offer some insight. I would't be surprised if they were augmenting with money from other sources which funding wouldn't be available for the NYC BOE grab n go.

ETA - If people don't like what is being offered by the BOE why not go to one of the Jewish schools that has food more to your taste. While some of the schools restrict to their students, it seems as though many of the schools provide food to anyone who shows up during the hours of distribution.

I don't mean this question as snarky but genuinely curious as there are numerous posts in which the menus and distribution hours of Jewish schools are posted. Why go to BOE if there are better sources of food that are more to your taste?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 6:41 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Probably because they must use the most restrictive hecksher for the kosher products which limits what can be served.

Cost is a factor since kosher food is more expensive and there is a relatively small amount of food so there isn't the volume savings. They needed to use a vendor who was willing to supply at a certain price and had the capability to deliver in the volume necessary - that narrows the field significantly.

Private Jewish schools are in a completely different category. Perhaps those who are involved with food provided by them could offer some insight. I would't be surprised if they were augmenting with money from other sources which funding wouldn't be available for the NYC BOE grab n go.

ETA - If people don't like what is being offered by the BOE why not go to one of the Jewish schools that has food more to your taste. While some of the schools restrict to their students, it seems as though many of the schools provide food to anyone who shows up during the hours of distribution.

I don't mean this question as snarky but genuinely curious as there are numerous posts in which the menus and distribution hours of Jewish schools are posted. Why go to BOE if there are better sources of food that are more to your taste?

Because I don't have a car, and the public school is closest. Schlepping home heavy bags of food and milk for a family is not so easy. We did take a bus one day to one of the private schools. Great food, but they only give for kids, not adults. There are other schools close to me, but they're only giving to their students.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics