Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What have your children gained from being home ( positive)
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:47 am
Positive post
I know it's been hard and crazy but what new talent or skill has your child development . maybe it will give new ideas and encouragement to outhers.
I have a daughter that likes to bake and has been making all kids of fun and even complicated resipes if she was not in school she would have not had a chance to be so creative and she's really proud of herself.
Even my outher kids and getting involved in dinners and they are so proud of it .
Crafts we have been doing different fun crafts and putting them on display .
Just chilling there is something special about just taking it easy besides for some stressful classes we just been taking it easy and getting to play more outside then they would normally on a school day.
Side note: I unfortunately am not working now till all the restrictions are lifted I know it's harder for parents who are both working from home.
Since there is a big chance we will be home during the summer it's good to share ideas

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:50 am
Lack of negative peer influences

Decrease of anxiety in a child who struggles to perform in school

behappy2

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:57 am
My preschooler learned how to make a tumblesauce Very Happy

I think it's cute. She keeps trying to manipulate het body in various ways! (Splits, high jumps etc..)

Last edited by behappy2 on Thu, May 14 2020, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:58 am
They are ttly much more independent. Suddenly they are taking bath's by themself which is now an activity,etc. Plus they learned how to inline skate. I would have never let them doing it in my apartment otherwise ....

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:02 pm
My 2 boys lost a ton of weight. They bike miles daily.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
My 2 boys lost a ton of weight. They bike miles daily.

I love this my Dr was so happy with the fact that my DD is not gaining a lot the past few months being home is definitely better for healther eating and being more active.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:15 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Lack of negative peer influences

Decrease of anxiety in a child who struggles to perform in school

Such a good one too!!!
My child with a bit of anxiety also so happy to be home I am worrying about going back to school will be so hard

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:17 pm
behappy2 wrote:
My preschooler learned how to make a tumblesauce Very Happy

I think it's cute. She keeps trying to manipulate het booty in various ways! (Splits, high jumps etc..)

Amazing that's super cute what a great achievement!! I should try and fermenting some gymnastics here maybe I can YouTube a class

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:20 pm
My 6 year old with really low muscle tone learned to pump on the swing, ride a scooter and training wheels independently, and how to throw a ball well. My 9 year old learned to draw really well.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:31 pm
16yo DD made honor roll, and is at the top of her class. She is absolutely blowing through the easy courses, and getting one on one video chats when she needs help with difficult subjects. Her self esteem has gone up, and she is very proud of all the hard work she's done. I'm impressed with how diligently she's applied herself.

Her anxiety is way down, and so is her depression. She hasn't self harmed in months.

She misses her friends, but they video call with each other almost daily, and play online games together.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:03 pm
They are now all experts on using Zoom.

They learn more independently.

They created their own board games, engaged in more imaginative play, read more.

We've all become experts on everything within a 100m radius of our home.

But we're so ready for it to be over. They miss their friends and team sports.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:11 pm
-Toilet trained my 3 yo.
-And I taught him how to recognize all ABC's, numbers, and most aleph bais letters. He can say what letter any random word starts with, which is cool.

little neshamala

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:22 pm
Me elementary schoolers are doing sooooo much better with not having mountains of homework at the end of a tiring school day. They are overall happier, less tired/cranky/stressed and therefor have waaaaaaaaay less incidents of a chutzpadik nature. And as a natural result, there are less "chinuch" incidents for me to deal with.
Theyre better kids without the typical school schedule.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:44 pm
My son who was struggling in school is way more relaxed and has way more free time to play and go outside.
I get to stay home with my toddler and not have to send her to a babysitter all day.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:45 pm
dc 20mo has learned about 500 new words and phrases from being around 4 older siblings.

dc 5yrs easily distractible in school is super focused on zoom classes which are 1) shorter than school 2) don't have all the distracting sounds and movements of other kids

iluvy

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:14 pm
My kids have gotten very, very good at Subway Surf. (They play it after school when I'm in meetings and can't have noise.) They keep bringing the phone to me so proudly, showing how they keep beating last time's high score. I tell them this is what I davened for, that one day I would have Yiddishe kinderlach who were getting to be Subway Surf champions

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:06 pm
My suspected adhd 8 year old son has learned to find himself an activity and stay entertained for at least a half hour (this was rare before.)
He also has a break from the Rebbi who would put him down regularly. 6 hrs a week on zoom when he can walk away is way better than 6 hours a day.
My 20 month old is loving his siblings constant company.
The seven year old can almost ride her bike with no training wheels. I'd say she needs another day or two of practice.
I'm getting better at housekeeping. I've always hated it, so managed to keep myself busy out of the house with varying projects. My home is getting less cluttered although it's still chaotic.
I love listening to my husband and son daven out loud each morning.

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:11 pm
I've got kids with HFA. They are thriving at home.

School doesn't start as early for DD, who has trouble getting up in the mornings.

Home is their comfort zone, with far fewer sensory challenges. No harsh lighting with possible flickers, no uncomfortable desks, nobody's weird smelling lunch. Temperature can be more to their liking. No distractions from classmates whispering, snickering, passing notes.

Socially, no classmates saying cruel things when the teacher isn't looking, and far less social cues to miss and pay for.

Nothing is perfect. They still miss some of the positives of being with peers in real life, and sharing certain activities.

But I do not think they've lost a lot of ground.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:25 pm
My son is teaching himself french Very Happy

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:28 pm
My preschooler learned how to ride a bike and is enjoying baking with me, which I normally don't do often.

My baby learned to walk and I got to be there for every part, no babysitter in between.

My three year old is still having a hard time on some fronts but I'm sure the extra attention is amazing for her.

Thank You Hashem for these precious months where I am (finally!!!) a stay-at-home mom!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics