Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Will a school not take us if we can’t pay tuition?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:19 am
I should probably have more emuna, but I don’t see how we’re going to pay tuition, with my husband’s business in the position it in. Doesn’t look like it will recover either. I think we can eke thru our expenses with unemployment, maybe, but there’s no way we can pay tuition. What will be? What are our options?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:33 am
If you cant pay anything at all I would think it will be hard to find a school who will work with you. My kids yeshiva has a minimum tuition that everyone needs to pay but I dont believe absent significant hardship they will let people pay nothing.

aliavi

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:23 am
I wouldn’t ask unless you have considered and have a plan for cutting expenses and other sources of income. You need an action plan. Are your children not in school now? What’s the reason for the change? It could be hard to ask something big of a school that you don’t already have a relationship with.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:33 am
aliavi wrote:
I wouldn’t ask unless you have considered and have a plan for cutting expenses and other sources of income. You need an action plan. Are your children not in school now? What’s the reason for the change? It could be hard to ask something big of a school that you don’t already have a relationship with.

The reason for the change? The economy is bust. My husband has to close his business. There are no jobs to be found. And I assure you we’re not the only ones.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:55 am
My son is only 9 months old and I’m already worrying how we’re even going to pay tuition for his yeshiva when he goes when he’s 3 and has his payos. I hear they’re expensive!!!
My husband works in a store and I used to babysit. When my son is old enough for a playgroup I think I’ll officially start working again with special needs. that is IF this virus is over by then.

I totally hear you.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:59 am
Are your kids in schools now and you want to switch their school and not pay tuition??
No one will do this for you.
The only way I can see this working is if your kids are currently in school & the school knows you as parents, they might be able to work out a plan with you.
But you cannot expect a new school to do this.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The reason for the change? The economy is bust. My husband has to close his business. There are no jobs to be found. And I assure you we’re not the only ones.

Where do you live? There are plenty of jobs. Maybe just not the type you are looking for. What are his skills and experience? We are a great group of amothers and I bet someone here can help him find something.

You didn't mention yourself. Are you working?

Usually the tuition committees will work with you but they like to see that you are doing everything you can to bring in income.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:02 pm
My son is starting an expensive high school next year. I just don’t know how we’ll get the money.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
Where do you live? There are plenty of jobs. Maybe just not the type you are looking for. What are his skills and experience? We are a great group of amothers and I bet someone here can help him find something.

You didn't mention yourself. Are you working?

Usually the tuition committees will work with you but they like to see that you are doing everything you can to bring in income.

Yes I’m working but it doesn’t bring in enough. We’re in NJ but I don’t want to write details about his exp bec it’s a little unique and id prefer to maintain my anonymity.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son is starting an expensive high school next year. I just don’t know how we’ll get the money.

Can you apply to cheaper schools? Is that an option?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:55 pm
Most schools will not take someone without paying tuition at all. Their are scholarships . Some schools will do give or get where you can offer them a service in exchange for a tuition reduction - lets say work in the library or as a recess monitor.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:29 pm
contact oorah they help my sister buisness is all cash and says she has no money she reached lots of chessed orginizations and got help good luck

provent

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
contact oorah they help my sister buisness is all cash and says she has no money she reached lots of chessed orginizations and got help good luck

Oorah will only help if a child is currently in PS.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:35 pm

She lies and says she has no money and takes money from a chesed organization? Surprised

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:34 pm

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that your sister does this or the fact that you must think it is a fine thing to do since you are advising OP to do the same.

And to answer the OP, how can you expect schools to survive if parents do not pay tuition? That is why some parents are forced to either homeschool or send their children to public school. I don't believe in not doing your hishtadlus, and included in that is saving not just for a rainy day, but for a rainy year. If the tuition you are referring to is the new expensive high school your son is going to, well I would start looking elsewhere.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:36 pm

???????????????????????????????????????????????

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 3:50 pm
Btw I didn’t mean don’t pay at all. I meant not full.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oh, this is a different story. Many schools might be able to work something out with you. Tell them the amount you're willing to pay per month and they might work with you.
Though this might not work with a new expensive school. I'd start looking at cheaper options first if possible.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I guess I am the skeptical type. This thread is starting to sound strange. You must know that a very large percentage of families do not pay full tuition. So what are you saying - what can you pay? 10%?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I guess I am the skeptical type. This thread is starting to sound strange. You must know that a very large percentage of families do not pay full tuition. So what are you saying - what can you pay? 10%?

What’s the point of posts like these? Ok be skeptical. I made up the story for fun. I’m bored. Can’t imagine anything more fun to do than make up a story about how I don’t know how I’m going to pay my bills.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics