Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What have your children gained from being home ( positive)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:23 pm
MY 4 oldest learned to type

3rd grader mastering multiplication using app. She is also learning Chumash and washing better then over before (over the phone)

4 year old rides like a pro without training wheels (but really her morah gets the credit because she got her almost there - but I got to enjoy the success).

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:27 pm
All my kids are in general more cooperative, getting along with each other better, and learned how to occupy themselves more. In the early days I was hearing "Mommy what can I do now?" about 15 times as much as I hear it these days.

My oldest got really independent and found his place among the other boys in the neighborhood. Although we moved a couple of years ago, he doesn't find it easy to settle in with a new crowd, and this extended off time definitely enabled him to adapt.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:30 pm
My 7 year started making smoothies every day ! Today he made a strawberry yogurt one . He also makes me coffee at times .

hi dear

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:34 pm
Would u please share some ideas of interesting crafts u did?my daughter is 4 years old....and I would like to hear some crafts ideas for her

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:37 pm
My 14yr old and 9yr old have been learning math online through a program and have mastered more math in these few weeks than they did an entire year . Their school’s secular studies dept really doesn’t give them much of an education.
The next thing on the agenda is for them to learn how to type.

My kids have also have been contributing to housework without being asked to. They find that they would rather do chores than be bored doing nothing.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Thu, May 14 2020, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:39 pm
hi dear wrote:
Would u please share some ideas of interesting crafts u did?my daughter is 4 years old....and I would like to hear some crafts ideas for her

I find a lot of ideas on chinuch.org younger childhood section. We made books, shavous projects...
http://www.chinuch.org/early_childhood.html
My older girls make ‘school’ for my 4 and 2 yr old every day.

Other Things my daughter did this week:

Cut out caterpillars out of paper - used straws to blow them in a race - leaned about how caterpillars turn into butterflies.

Made lag baomer hair. Made a man with construction paper hair. Then cut his hair for lag baomer.

Lots of coloring - mail a picture to grandparents.

Turesponse.org has short videos of Morah Elana that are a great start to the day.
https://www.turesponse.org/preschool/

Walder education
https://www.waldereducation.or.....-2nd/

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:44 pm
My HFA child is thriving at home. Way less anxious, eating better, etc. He is being moved into a special ed setting in September (iyh!) and I'm so grateful I don't have to send him into the lion's den every day (in his current mainstream classroom).

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
My 14yr old and 9yr old have been learning math online through a program and have mastered more math in these few weeks than they did an entire year . Their school’s secular studies dept really doesn’t give them much of an education.
The next thing in the agenda is for them to learn how to type.

My kids have also have been contributing to housework without being asked to. They find that they would rather do chores than be bored doing nothing.

What are they using for math?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
What are they using for math?

AdaptiveMind

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:51 pm
Kids are well rested, something that seems unachievable with the regular tight schedules. They seems so calm because there is no rushing.

Ds12 is considered one of the low grade students in his class. Because I watched him learn over the phone weeks in a row, I finally noticed that his only problem is that he doesn't focus when rebbi explains gemara. So then when he needs to study he is totally blank and it's super hard. After explaining that he needs to be super focused ONLY during rebbi gemara time, and not the whole time which would be impossible for him, he is doing excellent bH! bH!

One of my DC made some little inventions that blew my mind. It seems the extra space and peace makes his ideas blossom. I have never seen this before in him.

Ds12 learned to iron his own pants and shirts.

DC no longer complains about boredom. Occupies himself all day bH.

There is more but this is what I remember now. All in all, I wish in the future they cut the hours on older kids school days.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:42 pm
I love that the thread is so positive!!!

My fifth grade son doesn't have his English teacher, whom he can't stand. He only has to do the work (he does it with me. I'm much better than Mrs, C! Gee, thanks!) And only needs to speak to her once a week.

He also is very happy to have more time to spend with his parents and siblings! (Don't worry, He's still fighting with everyone.)

All my kids are enjoying spending many hours biking up and down the block, etc.

I would love for my son to learn more math. Thanks, thunderstorm, for adaptive mind suggestion. Will check it out bli neder. Math is really hard for him.

Aylat

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:52 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My son is teaching himself french Very Happy

Us too! DD has learned loads of Spanish, 2 of the boys decided to learn Irish together. I got inspired by them all and started to learn Arabic and DS6 joined me. We're using the Duolingo app.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:06 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I love that the thread is so positive!!!

My fifth grade son doesn't have his English teacher, whom he can't stand. He only has to do the work (he does it with me. I'm much better than Mrs, C! Gee, thanks!) And only needs to speak to her once a week.

He also is very happy to have more time to spend with his parents and siblings! (Don't worry, He's still fighting with everyone.)

All my kids are enjoying spending many hours biking up and down the block, etc.

I would love for my son to learn more math. Thanks, thunderstorm, for adaptive mind suggestion. Will check it out bli neder. Math is really hard for him.

Hmm my son also hated his fifth grade teacher Mrs C... Very Happy

CiCi

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:41 am
Everyone in my household is more relaxed...No one wants to go back to school, they love the relaxed schedule.

I would love to see schools having more free time for kids to play. So many kids who have a hard time sitting for so many hours are thriving now. My son is so relaxed now that he doesn't have to sit for hours at a time.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:01 am
My anxiety kid has no anxiety (it was always school related)

My younger ones did a touch typing course.

My kids are all learning to play the keyboard and ukelele. They sing and kumzits every night!!!

My 8 9 and 10 year old have become way more independent. Bike riding round the block...making their own lunches etc.

My teens are cooking more. Taking turns helping me cooks shabbos as im teaching them to make the basics for a shabbos .

My 8 year old learnt how to make a power point and yes how to use zoom.

All the kids learnt how to message the teacher politely.
"Here is my devar torah. Thank you and good shabbos" or "please can you explain the math. Thank you."

The kids all learnt to show hakoras hatov to people we often forget to thank. The garbage collector. The mail man. Etc.
They make signs and thank you notes regularly.

My kids learnt kibbud av watching me take care of my father when he became very ill with the virus. They saw me put him above all else.

My kids all learnt the meaning of the word resilience. #wecandoanything.
As they never would have thought we would cope in this situation and tight lockdown.

Ps I could go on and on. Very Happy baruch hashem

silverlining3

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:17 pm
I learnt, if there's a will there a way. My almost 6 year old doesn't ride her bike often, training wheels still on. 6 yr old neighbor recently learnt to ride without training wheels so my daughter became determined to learn so as well. I did NOT trust her. She kept begging and begging so I 1st took off one. Since then she's been practicing alot on the neighbors training wheel-less bike. Kept trying and failing. She had such a will power to show me that she can, today she mastered it! I'm super proud of her!

My almost 7 yr old also learnt riding without training wheels in the past few weeks. She's really a pro at it. Love watching her

imorethanamother

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:34 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

The next thing on the agenda is for them to learn how to type.

Typingclub.com ! It's free!

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:42 pm
This past week, my boys are spending a lot of time practicing leining for our outdoor minyan (instead of fighting and asking me what there is to eat). Some of them have never leined before except for their bar Mitzvah. It is so nice listening to them practice.

Candy Cane

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:46 pm
Finally toilet trained my 3 year old!!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 8:11 pm
I'm amazed at this thread and definitely jealous of some of you. We're barely keeping afloat here. Except my 1 year old, he's thriving with everyone home.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics