Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Kids swimming together?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 8:21 pm
Neighbor has a nice outdoor pool. We've been stuck inside for what feels like 5 years. Has there been any guidance with regard to whether pools are safer than even outside?

Is there any reason I should consider pro or against allowing kids under 15 to swim with friends in an outdoor pool?

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Neighbor has a nice outdoor pool. We've been stuck inside for what feels like 5 years. Has there been any guidance with regard to whether pools are safer than even outside?

Is there any reason I should consider pro or against allowing kids under 15 to swim with friends in an outdoor pool?

If the pool is really well maintained then it's fine. The virus doesn't stay in chlorinated water. (That's why we can use mikveh)

But it really does have to be well maintained.

The SD risk aspect of it is up to you. But the pool itself is fine as long as they're vigilant about their chlorine levels...

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:15 pm
I have a pool and have been back and forth over wether to open it or not. I spoke with several doctors and pool people and they have all said that if it is well chlorinated it is fine. However, they did all say that it should only be used by members of the household who have been quarantining together, no guests or outsiders.

computergirl

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:17 pm
for sure not swimming "with friends"! Chlorine won't do much if another kid coughs on yours. If it's only your family swimming at a given time I can see room for letting it

Amarante

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:29 pm
Pool use for a family is fine. That is the recommendation in California.

As others have posted, chlorinated water kills the virus but if people are in the pool, they would be breathing on each other and would also be touching surfaces like the ladders or if you have pool chairs etc. This would be especially true for children who would be playing together. We are not talking about adults who are swimming laps by themselves or in a far distant lane and then getting out of the pool.

If you are living with people, there is no reason that the pool or your backyard is any different than being together in your home.

However, it is quite a bit different when you are mingling with people outside your circle. I can't imagine anyone who would invite people who they aren't living with to use their home pool. And just because your neighbor isn't careful, it doesn't mean that you should expose your family to infection.

I always remember that I am not just exposing myself to the person next to me but to every person that he or she has had contact with in the last two weeks.

ETA - California has issued guidelines in terms of appropriate levels of pool chemicals. I would think that it would be a time to be super careful that your pool is at the correct levels every day.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, May 13 2020, 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

giselle

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I have a pool and have been back and forth over wether to open it or not. I spoke with several doctors and pool people and they have all said that if it is well chlorinated it is fine. However, they did all say that it should only be used by members of the household who have been quarantining together, no guests or outsiders.

You were unsure whether to open just for members of the household? Curious what the concern might be?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 6:59 pm
giselle wrote:
You were unsure whether to open just for members of the household? Curious what the concern might be?

I was being cautious, while we are all living together, we don't share food, and I try and be vigilant (kids are ready to kill me) about how food is handled. I.e. no hands in the potato chip bags etc. So I was concerned with the pool that there is much more chance of transmission of germs in a swimming pool, I.e. if someone sneezes or has a runny nose, or you just dunk your head in etc. There is just a lot of opportunity to spread germs. And there is just so much unknown at this point that I prefer to err on the side of caution.

giselle

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:01 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I was being cautious, while we are all living together, we don't share food, and I try and be vigilant (kids are ready to kill me) about how food is handled. I.e. no hands in the potato chip bags etc. So I was concerned with the pool that there is much more chance of transmission of germs in a swimming pool, I.e. if someone sneezes or has a runny nose, or you just dunk your head in etc. There is just a lot of opportunity to spread germs. And there is just so much unknown at this point that I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Oh, we’ve been very careful but definitely not within our own home.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:05 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

This sounds a bit much unless you have a specific reason for being so strict within your own family.
If you all live in the same house you'll all be exposed to each other no matter how careful you try to be.
We have a pool and are planning to open it very soon iy"h. The kids can really use the extra activity.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:08 pm
Everyone does that with which they are comfortable and Plum I can totally understand you. It is individual choices on an appropriate spectrum of choice.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:16 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Everyone does that with which they are comfortable and Plum I can totally understand you. It is individual choices on an appropriate spectrum of choice.

I agree theoretically as people have different comfort levels.

However from what I have read, it is almost impossible to prevent transmission of the virus in the same home even if one is extremely careful. That is why recommendation is to avoid contact with people outside your immediate household.

Just taking and breathing in the same room can spread the virus if a person is infected.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
This sounds a bit much unless you have a specific reason for being so strict within your own family.
If you all live in the same house you'll all be exposed to each other no matter how careful you try to be.
We have a pool and are planning to open it very soon iy"h. The kids can really use the extra activity.

It probably is bit much. I am over 50 so according to the Governor I am old and a risk, and one of my kids has to also be extra careful. I know we are all exposed to each other we are just extra careful I guess. I don't expect others to conform to my craziness.

giselle

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:22 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
It probably is bit much. I am over 50 so according to the Governor I am old and a risk, and one of my kids has to also be extra careful. I know we are all exposed to each other we are just extra careful I guess. I don't expect others to conform to my craziness.

Well I’m glad to hear you’ll be opening your pool. That’s basically our summer plans since it doesn’t look like camp will be happening.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics