Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What will you do if work opens but school stays closed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:26 pm
My youngest is 14. Normally school is my "babysitter" and even if he gets home a bit before me it isn't a problem.

Today we had a Zoom meeting for work and the CEO said he really wants people returning to work in person (we are all working remotely) as soon as our state says it is OK to open. Right now things are closed until June.

So, what will I do? I can't leave my 14 year old home alone all day, but what kind of babysitter would I hire for a teenager? Will anyone else find themselves in this situation and what will you do?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:27 pm
14 year old can’t be alone all day? Really? I guess it depends on the kid.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
14 year old can’t be alone all day? Really? I guess it depends on the kid.

It depends on the parent too. I just feel a teenager with no supervision day in and day out is asking for trouble.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:29 pm
You can leave 14 year old for few hours but all Day every day, I hear you op....

avrahamama

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:30 pm
Brimg him to work get him an early internship?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:34 pm
I know people who were essential workers who found another family to "SD with", meaning the two families just joined forces and had their kids together all day as if they were the same household instead of hiring people from the outside, and then the parents took turns with both sets of kids.
I know it's not ideal, but maybe he has a friend who's family you trust for him to join. It's no riskier than hiring a babysitter really.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:35 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Brimg him to work get him an early internship?

They won't be letting kids in the office that's for sure! But who knows, maybe it will be possible in summer since camp is cancelled.

However, if schools stay closed during the school year in Fall, he will have Zoom school during the day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:38 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I know people who were essential workers who found another family to "SD with", meaning the two families just joined forces and had their kids together all day as if they were the same household instead of hiring people from the outside, and then the parents took turns with both sets of kids.
I know it's not ideal, but maybe he has a friend who's family you trust for him to join. It's no riskier than hiring a babysitter really.

No, he can't be around other kids while this is happening because he falls in a high risk category because of prior health issues.

amother
Black

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:41 pm
Can you go in for only a couple hours a day and then remotely the rest of the time? What does your boss expect you to do?

crust

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:46 pm
I totally get you OP.

This is going to happen and I have no idea what to do.

There is no way I can go out to work full time with even one child at home all day. Let alone a house full of kids.

I think this is something that did not happen in history.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:59 pm
crust wrote:
I totally get you OP.

This is going to happen and I have no idea what to do.

There is no way I can go out to work full time with even one child at home all day. Let alone a house full of kids.

I’m half wondering if we’re going to go back to when women stayed home all day.

crust

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I’m half wondering if we’re going to go back to when women stayed home all day.

There were always women that worked. At least in the last couple hundred years.

mig100

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It depends on the parent too. I just feel a teenager with no supervision day in and day out is asking for trouble.

I agree. Not ideal . Not that anything is ideal during global pandemic

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:36 pm
I have a similar problem. My boss is talking about everyone coming back to the office. My youngest is 11. I have high school kids at home but they're busy all day with their own classes and wont end up taking care of her.

Shes not home alone so I dont have an excuse for why I cant go back to work. But she really needs to have her mother, not just older siblings who will ignore her all day.

Bruria

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, he can't be around other kids while this is happening because he falls in a high risk category because of prior health issues.

If he's high risk maybe if you explain this to your boss they'll let you continue to work remotely.

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:13 am
My understanding from our hr person is that legally you can’t be forced to go back into the office before there us a vaccine. Not sure how that will play out where you work but just something to consider.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:45 am
I'm wondering if your boss would give you some flexiblity?
Some teens wake up lunchtime, so if you go in to work early and get home a bit early, your DC won't be home that long on his own.
I have been working out of the house and leaving my 10 and 12 year old home since March. Same goes for between school and daycamp, Chanuka and midwinter vacations, etc. Its very different when there's 1 kid or two, though.
I keep on ordering crafts and cheap games, and other fun stuff so that there's always something new coming. They have school for a few hours by phone now. They are exchanging books with neighbors.
I set up a few educational programs for them on the computer. (They only do educational, offline stuff when I'm not home.)
DH comes home for an hour during the day, and I'm just a phone call away.

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:25 am
crust wrote:

In the past, a fourteen year old would have been on the verge of entering the work force, rather than being regarded as not much more than a child, with another six to eight years of growing up ahead of him. Not a criticism, just a statement that the world has changed. Children used to be a lot more independent.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 5:38 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I'm wondering if your boss would give you some flexiblity?
Some teens wake up lunchtime, so if you go in to work early and get home a bit early, your DC won't be home that long on his own.
I have been working out of the house and leaving my 10 and 12 year old home since March. Same goes for between school and daycamp, Chanuka and midwinter vacations, etc. Its very different when there's 1 kid or two, though.
I keep on ordering crafts and cheap games, and other fun stuff so that there's always something new coming. They have school for a few hours by phone now. They are exchanging books with neighbors.
I set up a few educational programs for them on the computer. (They only do educational, offline stuff when I'm not home.)
DH comes home for an hour during the day, and I'm just a phone call away.

No, he has to wake up early because there is a full day starting with morning davening and classes via Zoom with breaks in between to actually do assignments and then get back on to discuss. He has a school Zoom schedule every day Mon-Fri and a looser one for Sunday.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:28 am
OP,

my situation is different (expecting and at home) but maybe try to work some kind of a schedule that he is NOT home alone EVERY day.

Like Monday- alone
Tuesday- you work half day then half day from home
Wednesday- some special chore
Thursday- like Tuesday
Friday- you do home office

Also maybe focus on what he likes and would like to learn, like playing drums etc.

I think it's very very hard and there isn't an ideal solution.

Hashem please help us all in our respective situations.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics