Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Affordable/Effective Tick & Mosquito control in lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 1:46 pm
Can anyone reccomend someone cheap and effective for mosquito and tick control for my backyard?
Thanks so much!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 5:25 pm
I'm sure your local hardware or garden store will have good suggestions.

Ticks love long grass, and mosquitoes love moisture.

The most important thing is to keep your lawn VERY short, and to make sure that there are no puddles of water anywhere.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 5:35 pm
Thanks there are companies that come and treat your lawn some are cheaper than others. We had a private person come last year but don't have his information. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation of someone who does this.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 9:35 pm
I tried bugaboo and mosquito authority.
Was satisfied with both overall. Not perfect.
Bugaboo was slightly cheaper.

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:28 pm
Call and ask for quotes. Make sure to ask what's included.
I think we use Lawn Buddy. (Dh takes care of it so I'm not 100% sure.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:48 pm
I'll keep trying thanks! Any other suggestions would be appreciated

amotherof3

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:55 pm
We used NoNo mosquitos who is a local frum guy and came in priced competitively. His number is
732 242 4292. He was a pleasure to deal with.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:02 pm
Thank you! I used someone local but couldnt remember who, maybe this was him. Thanks!

chocolatine

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:31 pm
Does it actually help with mosquitoes? How long does it last?
I hate my backyard in the summer because I’m a huge magnet

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 11:40 pm
I did it once I didnt find it totally free but def a big difference. I have a screened gazebo because I'm a true magnet to them and hate not being able to sit out!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:19 am
chocolatine wrote:
Does it actually help with mosquitoes? How long does it last?
I hate my backyard in the summer because I’m a huge magnet

Yes it makes a huge difference! Not perfect but very very helpful!
Unfortunately it only last about 3-4 weeks so it can get costly!

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:01 pm
I wonder if any of these guys would help get rid of bees. I have these huge bees and beehives in the crevices of my roof....my sister in NY told me she had a treatment done that lasts a couple of years, gets rid of them.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:36 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I wonder if any of these guys would help get rid of bees. I have these huge bees and beehives in the crevices of my roof....my sister in NY told me she had a treatment done that lasts a couple of years, gets rid of them.

Unless you are deathly allergic, please leave the bees alone! We need the bees, there aren't enough around as it is.

Bumblebees are the most docile. They really won't bother anybody. The best way to control bees in my experience, is to plant lots of flowers. They will be so busy collecting nectar and pollinating that they won't even look at you. When I had a big flower garden I could walk right through a cloud of bees, and it was like nothing.

The fastest way I've found to attract honey bees, is to plant broccoli and let it all go to flower. Bees go insane for broccoli flowers! I have no idea, but it's like catnip to them. If you have it around, they won't bother you at all.

Bees are also territorial, and will drive away wasps and hornets, which are no fun at all.

Mason bees are highly effective pollinators, hardier than honey bees, and are stingless. People hang mason bee hives in their eaves to cultivate them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:08 pm
Wow! That's informative! I have way to many hornets but no clue where the hives are. Will honey bees really get rid of them?

twolilgirlies

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:33 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Me too!! If you find any leads, please post! We just recently moved into our house and my kids are now terrified to go out in the back to play because there's these huge bees that come out of the gutters/roof. DH tried to spray them but didn't help anything.

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:10 am
That is so interesting FF. The truth is we've been living here for almost 3 years B"H and no one got stung... but the girls are scared of the bees. We have an overhang roof area over our front door, and sometimes when you open the door there are these huge bees in the entrance. They are scared to go out!

I have been planting flowers, and will do some more....roses, peonies, daffodils, hyacinth, and tulips....but will skip the broccoli, as my DD is highly allergic to it (she gets hives) and I'm not sure how she'd do with the plants around.

I want to plant lilacs, as I grew up with those and love the smell.

My peonies are like free perfume every spring...can't wait till they explode with their blooms...right now they are like tight little fists, waiting to burst open at the right time.

studying_torah

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:09 am
Your garden sounds like heaven chayalle!
Regarding the spraying I once heard it's more effective if the neighbors do it too (& less effective if they don't).

tryingmybest100

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:26 pm
There’s a really reliable local guy who did a great job on my lawn and was very affordable compared to the companies I inquired. His number was 718-755-2900. I had a plethora of baby ticks all over my lawn furniture and they were 99% gone the day after he treated my lawn.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:37 pm
Thanks- this was in Lakewood bec I noticed the 718 #

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:59 pm
Agreed about the bees. Especially the big, fuzzy, bumbling ones. They are mostly harmless and do a lot of good by pollinating flowers, fruit trees, and other crops.

We have many big bumble bees in our backyard, and we love to watch them buzzIng around. We have never been stung. A couple of weeks ago, my daughter went outside and was horrified to find two bee traps hanging from our grapevines - filled with dead bumble bees. She was extremely upset, and so were we. We had to track down the culprit. Turns out a neighbor from around the corner decided that our bees were a hazard and took it upon himself (without even asking us) to screw some bee traps into our grape vines. Needless to say, we made him remove them, but we now have only a few bees left. (We suspect that maybe he sprayed some kind of poison - again without asking us -when we were away.) Sad

Again - bees do a lot of good, and there is a nationwide honeybee shortage. (This is a Problem mainly because they pollinate crops - not because of the honey.) If they are not actively bothering anybody, it is best to leave them alone. Alternatively, you may find a beekeeper, who will remove the entire hive for free - in exchange for being allowed to keep the bees.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries