Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Second wave & Imamother logic
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:47 pm
Dr. Fauci: A second wave of coronavirus is inevitable later this year.

Imamothers: I don't see a second wave. It's all a conspiracy to keep my kids home.

Reality: Ummm, we're still in the first wave guys. Later this year means later this year, possibly fall or winter.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Imamothers: I don't see a second wave. It's all a conspiracy to keep my kids home.

Reality: Ummm, we're still in the first wave guys. Later this year means later this year, possibly fall or winter.

Imamother: Please stop Imamother bashing.

CiCi

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:51 pm
Nope, you got it wrong. We believe that the virus is not going away until there is herd immunity so it will be around for the next few months or years. And never really go away either. Precisely because of that we can't be locked down indefinitely because that will create bigger crises than Covid-19.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:51 pm
Imamother: Prove to me that frum people are dying from it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think your conflating second wave with spike. Imamothers predicted a spike in cases after Pesach and certain levayas that attracted crowds which did not materialize. Just because someone says there was no spike in cases doesn't mean they think there won't be a second wave.

And again, no one, even Dr. Fauci, knows what the future holds.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:30 pm
"The doctor in Rand Paul took over for the questioning. He began by challenging Dr. Fauci on the media narrative that there is no evidence that patients who survive coronavirus have immunity. To be helpful Paul pointed out the following:

In experiments, rhesus monkeys infected with COVID-19 can’t be reinfected
Studies have shown plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients neutralizes the virus in lab experiments
The entire premise of convalescent plasma treatment, mentioned by several on the panel as a potential treatment currently in trials, is that recovered patients develop immunity capable of killing the virus
Recovering patients across the board are showing significant antibody response
We know SARS and MERS, coronaviruses with similar clinical presentations, confer immunity for at least 2-3 years
Paul then stated that his view is that the truth is the exact opposite of the media narrative. There is very good evidence that recovered patients will have some durable immunity. And recovered workers, in industries like meatpacking, should be reassured there is a strong likelihood they will not get reinfected. He then referenced that Dr. Fauci had said publicly that he would bet it all that survivors of COVID-19 have some form of immunity and asked him to set the record straight.

Dr. Fauci responded that it is indeed likely. Then he added the standard disclaimers that we won’t know for sure and for how long for years. He did concede you could make a reasonable assumption that recovered patients have some immunity. Paul concluded saying maybe a better way to frame the issue of immunity was to say in all likelihood recovery indicates immunity for some period of time. The public needs to hear Paul’s presentation, but you can confidently bet on the fact that the media narrative won’t change.

Ora in town

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:38 pm
The examples of Sweden and UK show that population density matters...
So there might be a solution à la Sweden for less densly populated states...
and more strict measures in the urban centers...

Underground in NY might be a problem...
Big Assemblies, sports matches, etc. will remain a problem...
choir rehearsals - very problematic...

Open air activities - less of a problem...

elisheva25

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:49 pm
Pls watch Dr.Zelenko’s video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?fe.....20Qp8

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:52 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Pls watch Dr.Zelenko’s video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?fe.....20Qp8

I've watched it. what specifically are you trying to draw our attention to.

soap suds

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I think your conflating second wave with spike. Imamothers predicted a spike in cases after Pesach and certain levayas that attracted crowds which did not materialize. Just because someone says there was no spike in cases doesn't mean they think there won't be a second wave.

And again, no one, even Dr. Fauci, knows what the future holds.

What is the difference between 2nd wave and 2nd spike? Does the wave refer to a mutated form of the virus, which can indeed reinfect peopl who've already had it once?

When we talk about a new spike, I believe we mean new people becoming infected, who haven't been infected yet. In which case, it would be a bigger concern in regions that haven't had a high rate of infection.

Dr. Fauci may be rightfully concerned about a spike in the US in general. Even if he's right, Imamothers may be right in being less concerned since so many in our community have been infected the first time around and don't need to worry about being reinfected (for the time being, however long immunity lasts).

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:31 am
Ora in town wrote:
The examples of Sweden and UK show that population density matters...
So there might be a solution à la Sweden for less densly populated states...
and more strict measures in the urban centers...

Underground in NY might be a problem...
Big Assemblies, sports matches, etc. will remain a problem...
choir rehearsals - very problematic...

Open air activities - less of a problem...

This post is strange.

trixx

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:40 am
You guys are all forgetting, they promised us we just had to flatten the curve, we went along with it.
Now we're waiting for a cure??? When did that happen?? Cancer still has no cure.

giselle

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:46 am
trixx wrote:
You guys are all forgetting, they promised us we just had to flatten the curve, we went along with it.
Now we're waiting for a cure??? When did that happen?? Cancer still has no cure.

Cancer is not contagious. And don’t you do things to avoid cancer?
I’m not saying they shouldn’t open the economy. I think they should asap. The problem as I see it is that people refuse to social distance and that’s important to keep the virus at bay. And that will likely be a need for a long time.

ora_43

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:00 am
delete

Last edited by ora_43 on Fri, May 15 2020, 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total

mig100

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

More imamother logic.

Drs don't know anything. It's a new virus

We know everything. I even read all about corona on WhatsApp and Dr zelenkos videos

If u are THINKING of going to ur parents for pesach u deserve 10 pages of screaming that u are a murderer. We got to save the world and let you know

If I desperately need a cleaning lady or manicure why is it anyone's business what I do??. Just live and let live already

Should I go on?

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:42 am
mig100 wrote:

If I desperately need a cleaning lady or manicure why is it anyone's business what I do??. Just live and let live already

Should I go on?

If you announce to the Imamother world how desperate you are for a manicure, including the impact on your shalom Bayit, and the long term psychological trauma of your children if they see their mother with messy nails, and the future effects on their shidduchim - it becomes everyone's business.

If you quietly go out and get a manicure, due to Shalom Bayit issues, or just because you want one - then you are right, it doesn't have to be anyones business.

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:46 am
mig100 wrote:
More imamother logic.

Drs don't know anything. It's a new virus

We know everything. I even read all about corona on WhatsApp and Dr zelenkos videos

If u are THINKING of going to ur parents for pesach u deserve 10 pages of screaming that u are a murderer. We got to save the world and let you know

Should I go on?

It might be that you don't know anything and that you don't follow available information from reliable sources...
Researches are working on the topic under high pressure...
There are studies about how people get infected.
They found out the virus' full genome within a few weeks, so that they could develop tests to identify it...
They are finding out what it does, how it mutates, how it travels, how best to treat patients...
Unfortunately, there are plenty infected people in the USA to provide the researches with material...

thriver

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:45 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
This post is strange.

😂 that is because she is probably English!!

Underground in England is what subway is in New York. She just means the train system!!

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:46 am
giselle wrote:
Cancer is not contagious. And don’t you do things to avoid cancer?
I’m not saying they shouldn’t open the economy. I think they should asap. The problem as I see it is that people refuse to social distance and that’s important to keep the virus at bay. And that will likely be a need for a long time.

If they opened the economy, people would wear masks and social distance. People are doing what they want because they’ve given up.

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:57 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
This post is strange.

Look here: someone analysed which situations are particular susceptible to spreading the virus.
https://www.wral.com/coronavir.....4009/

One example: a choir rehearsal, 60 people, in a closed room, keeping minimal distance of 2 m. Neverthelesss, 75% of choir members got infected, virus spread from 1 to 45 (in 60).
Why?
When singing, we tend to release more virus, and also breathe in more deeply.
Not a good idea right now.

Other example:
Work place with bad ventilation concept.
93 workers in 215 got infected.
Why? Because workers spend lot of time in their workplace. If one worker constantly releases virus into the air, and there is a draft in one direction, people sitting downstream will get infected, over time.

Other example: Restaurant: Even persons sitting far away or behind infected persons got infected.
Same reason: People spend a lot of time in the restaurant, the carrier constantly releases virus, people sitting "downstream" breathe it in, it accumulates over 2-3 hours.

In Public transport, you have the same constellation, especially in the metro system: people breathe the same air, over a certain period of time, the risk of infection through aerosol transmission is great.

So that's why it would be wise not to spend much time in public transport, especially metro or planes.

That's why it is wise to ban big assemblies in general, especially in closed rooms.

that's why it is preferable to organise minyanim outside rather than indoor.

Then there is a general rule: the more people mix, the more persons one carrier can infect. Since we do not really know who is a carrier (because there are many symptomless cases), it is advisable to reduce "mixing" in general. (see the "capsula" system that was established in Israeli Yeshivot)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics