Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
It's so NOT fair
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:52 am
I am very furstrated right now.

My husband is a preschool Rebbi. And hasn't gotten paid. The yeshiva won't charge the parents because it's hard times and call in to the hotline is not the same.... They are waiting to ask a shaila what to do.... But for now not charging the parents... So no paycheck for us.

but I was charged FULL tutition for ALL my boys because hey the rebbaim need money. The yeshiva needs to pay the rebbaim. The rebba needs to have food. Rent. Clothing....

Banging head Banging head Twisted Evil

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:53 am
Can everyone decide on one thing?

Not right as a Rebbi my husband not getting paid. But have to pay for my kids Rebbi?? Crying

justforfun87

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:59 am
This is so so awful. Here in Baltimore the Vaad stated tuition must be paid. I am so sorry for you. Can he be laid off and file for unemployment?

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:03 am
Certainly NOT fair. Is he doing any teaching distantly? If yes then he should be paid. If not then there must be a way for him to file unemployment!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:38 am
He's still working. Nothing compared to what he use to- he doesn't have to go in and a full day of teaching. But yes- still doing on hotline

groisamomma

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:40 am
If his place of work is affected by COVID19 he is eligible for unemployment. Don't wait.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:06 am
He needs to tell the school he will file for unemployment if they dont pay him and stop working for free

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am very furstrated right now.

My husband is a preschool Rebbi. And hasn't gotten paid. The yeshiva won't charge the parents because it's hard times and call in to the hotline is not the same.... They are waiting to ask a shaila what to do.... But for now not charging the parents... So no paycheck for us.

but I was charged FULL tutition for ALL my boys because hey the rebbaim need money. The yeshiva needs to pay the rebbaim. The rebba needs to have food. Rent. Clothing....

Banging head Banging head Twisted Evil

Schools have been closed for two months- when are they gonna ask the shaila?
And if he hasn't been paid the whole time he should file fie unemployment thst his business wss closed due to Corona ( doesnt mean he was laid off).

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's still working. Nothing compared to what he use to- he doesn't have to go in and a full day of teaching. But yes- still doing on hotline

We’ll be shouldn’t be working if he’s not getting paid. He should go on unemployment.

banana123

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:34 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
We’ll be shouldn’t be working if he’s not getting paid. He should go on unemployment.

Except he sees it as a shlichus and responsibility to the students, and doesn't feel like he can ethically just leave them hanging like that. Because that's how teachers are.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:00 am
notshanarishona wrote:
He needs to tell the school he will file for unemployment if they dont pay him and stop working for free

I liked this post but may I say, only after he asks a rav, one he has a relationship with who will give ongoing hadracha. It's a shlichus but if he's told to continue, someone needs to be getting him well-deserved tzedaka money if this is the community's priority.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:17 am
your husband should put his foot down. they aren't being fair to him to expect him to work without any compensation. It does seem like preschool is considered a different category then upper schooling based on a letter I got from the school. they admitted that preschool is receiving less right now that some people need to pay for childcare now...

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:44 am
banana123 wrote:
Except he sees it as a shlichus and responsibility to the students, and doesn't feel like he can ethically just leave them hanging like that. Because that's how teachers are.

But if he is doing this despite not getting paid, this is more like his personal obligation. He technically doesn't have a job right now, and he can file for unemployment. You may even get more money than his paycheck this way right now.

I would inform the school that you will be going for unemployment. If they received any PPP money, they'll cough up the money promptly. They risk losing their forgivable part of the loan if any employees go on unemployment. If they didn't receive any PPP funds, why would the mind that he goes on unemployment?

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:48 am
your husband should put his foot down. they aren't being fair to him to expect him to work without any compensation. It does seem like preschool is considered a different category then upper schooling based on a letter I got from the school. they admitted that preschool is receiving less right now that some people need to pay for childcare now...

4g01o

We're still paying full school fees so I'd be so angry to hear that their Rebbe's arent getting paid! Not fair at all for your husband and family. So wrong!

southernbubby

Unfortunately this might result in fewer children being enrolled in day schools and yeshivas. Some might home school and some will be forced to send to public school with afternoon Hebrew school like that which existed for frum kids 50 years ago.
Time will tell how this crisis gets resolved. Like many businesses, chinuch was struggling before the pandemic and the shutdown was the final nail in the coffin.

sunflowershine

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:22 am
Fab4 wrote:
We're still paying full school fees so I'd be so angry to hear that their Rebbe's arent getting paid! Not fair at all for your husband and family. So wrong!

Exactly!!! I wonder with all schools. They are paying teachers less now. Who pockets all the tuition money?

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:45 am
I don't understand why he hasn't filed for unemployment.

It is wonderful that he is VOLUNTEERING his services but he is still technically unemployed and should have put in his claim the first week he wasn't paid.

Whether the school is receiving money from the government has nothing to do with whether your husband has the right to file. The employer doesn't pay unemployment except in the form of insurance payments into the fund.

Is there some reason he hasn't filed. Between whatever unemployment is standard plus the $600 your family would be not be facing financial disaster - at least for the foreseeable future.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:46 am
He needs to file for unemployment yesterday!! The right thing would be to inform the school first

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I liked this post but may I say, only after he asks a rav, one he has a relationship with who will give ongoing hadracha. It's a shlichus but if he's told to continue, someone needs to be getting him well-deserved tzedaka money if this is the community's priority.

I hear that. I used to work for a school that didn’t prioritize paying teachers on time and I was told too quit . A person can only do a mitzvah like this with their time if they have enough money to be supporting their family which is their bigger mitzvah
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics