Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Opinions-dd and dorming roommate choice

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:06 pm
DD will (hopefullY0 be in the Touro dorm next year. She is debating wether to do potluck or go with someone she knows, who is nice, and they are friends, but being in the same room may not be good for their friendship. The other girl also wants to have just the two of them, but dd is thinking back to seminary and she was in a 2 person dorm and felt like she was missing out on the social aspect from a 4 person dorm.

Thoughts on poltuck????

DrMom

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:51 pm
By "potluck," do you mean getting assigned some random roommate?

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DD will (hopefullY0 be in the Touro dorm next year. She is debating wether to do potluck or go with someone she knows, who is nice, and they are friends, but being in the same room may not be good for their friendship. The other girl also wants to have just the two of them, but dd is thinking back to seminary and she was in a 2 person dorm and felt like she was missing out on the social aspect from a 4 person dorm.

Thoughts on poltuck????

In seminary she might feel she missed out socially, but now she needs to consider whether a four girl dorm would allow her sufficient time to study. The social side and the academic side may not sit so comfortably together.

Potluck can go either way. A bad roommate can make life very hard. What are the options for changing if it doesn't work out?

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:48 am
While I understand the pros and cons I would go with the girl I know. She will have plenty of opportunity to socialize. The other has too many unknown factors -- one "bad apple" spoils the bunch.

hatzlocha

amother
Olive

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:39 am
I was given truly awful roommates in seminary, and it ruined a large part of my year. I would very highly recommend that she stick with the person she knows is kind and emotionally healthy. Not worth taking the risk.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:20 am
If you are talking about lander college for women division of touro then I think you are very confused.

I just graduated from lcw and I dormed the whole time I was there. I'm not sure if you realize but there aren't any 2 person apartments/dorms. The smallest is 5 person but those are usually for seniors who have dormed their whole touro career.. If she is coming in as a freshman than she is most likely going to be in a 9 person apartment. In which case she would have to find 8 other people to live with.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:53 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
If you are talking about lander college for women division of touro then I think you are very confused.

I just graduated from lcw and I dormed the whole time I was there. I'm not sure if you realize but there aren't any 2 person apartments/dorms. The smallest is 5 person but those are usually for seniors who have dormed their whole touro career.. If she is coming in as a freshman than she is most likely going to be in a 9 person apartment. In which case she would have to find 8 other people to live with.

Thanks so much for popping in- yes LCW. She was told a 2 person room- is it an apt. with 2 people in a room, but there are different rooms in the apt, for a total of 9 people?

DD did potluck her first year in seminary and it was great.Her second year in seminary she roomed with someone she thought she knew- but really did not know ell enough and it was a disaster. So since she had a bad experience the second time and a good experience with potluck that is her barometer. But if it really is 9 people in an apt. and she just shares a room with one other person then a lot of her concerns are no longer concerns.

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:56 pm
Mine would always chose 2 person dorm over 4 person room: more privacy, more calm, more possibilities to study...
And they would also chose friend over unknown...

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much for popping in- yes LCW. She was told a 2 person room- is it an apt. with 2 people in a room, but there are different rooms in the apt, for a total of 9 people?

DD did potluck her first year in seminary and it was great.Her second year in seminary she roomed with someone she thought she knew- but really did not know ell enough and it was a disaster. So since she had a bad experience the second time and a good experience with potluck that is her barometer. But if it really is 9 people in an apt. and she just shares a room with one other person then a lot of her concerns are no longer concerns.

There are two people and three people rooms and one or two four people rooms. There are three rooms in each apartment and everyone shares the same kitchen and dining room area. The walls are very thin so if you get a room near the kitchen you will most likely hear everything that is going on.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:15 pm
Most seminaries are made up of fairly homogenous crowds and going potluck on a roommate is a fairly safe choice. However Touro has a fairly broad student body, with a very broad range of hashkafos and your daughter might not be comfortable with the roommate that she is assigned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children