Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Thank you for a thank you?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:32 am
When you send a thank you email and the response contains a thank you or compliment to you- do you respond? How do you respond?
This comes up quite often for me & though I’m sure there’s no general rule, I’m curious how others handle these scenarios.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:34 am
To such emails I don't respond. I don't believe it requires a response, the person was trying to be polite, not draw out the conversation.

In a text, I might respond with an emoji that effectively ends the conversation - a smiley or thumbs up.

If it is with someone who DOES want to keep the conversation going, I'd do a "aw, you're so sweet!" or similar and change the topic.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:39 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
To such emails I don't respond. I don't believe it requires a response, the person was trying to be polite, not draw out the conversation.

In a text, I might respond with an emoji that effectively ends the conversation - a smiley or thumbs up.

If it is with someone who DOES want to keep the conversation going, I'd do a "aw, you're so sweet!" or similar and change the topic.

So in this specific situation it’s a dr that we have many back and forth conversations over the week but we would not necessarily continue the conversation in this email thread because this was a side thing.
I’m just not sure if the the polite thing to do here is ignore (it was really whoa) or respond with something like: thank you for your kind words 😊

seeker

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:44 am
Not sure if I'm correct but I usually put a stop to it after one round of thanks each way, otherwise it can go on awkwardly theoretically forever. You don't need to thank someone for saying thank you - the response is "you're welcome" or "my pleasure" or the like.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 1:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So in this specific situation it’s a dr that we have many back and forth conversations over the week but we would not necessarily continue the conversation in this email thread because this was a side thing.
I’m just not sure if the the polite thing to do here is ignore (it was really whoa) or respond with something like: thank you for your kind words 😊

You got a "whoa" complimentary email from a Doctor? A woman?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:04 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
You got a "whoa" complimentary email from a Doctor? A woman?

From a Malach to be more exact Wink
You jealous or just checking in to make sure I’m corresponding with the right gender Wink?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:42 am
I always err on the side of over-politeness. You can probably go either way, but I would respond with the one line you said of-
Thank you for your kind words.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 9:58 pm
bumping this up. curious to hear from more people on this.
thanks

kenz

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
bumping this up. curious to hear from more people on this.
thanks

It sounds like this compliment meant a great deal to you, and if so, I would absolutely acknowledge it so she continues to make such a positive difference in people’s lives. It will then be up to her whether to respond again. (If she does, at that point I’d probably drop it.)

zaq

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:40 pm
let me get this straight: You email Dr. Grace Gracious to say "thanks for taking care of my dd's medical forms." She replies "It was my pleasure, your dd is a doll and your whole family is a delight to work with."

No, you don't need to respond. At most I might send back an email with just a Smile . one doesn't thank someone for thanking them, otherwise ein ladavar sof.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette