Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this Antisemitic (from a website catering to PS teachers)

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:01 pm

Is the reference to Jews in this video, Antisemitic (from a website catering to many public school teachers, and can be sen on Youtube as well)?

Teachers get it on this website:

https://www.flocabulary.com/un.....rica/

Many public school teachers use material from this website and its shown to students.

Should this be reported?

seeker

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:10 pm
No. You're overthinking it.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:10 pm
Don't think this anti-semitic.

The video is definitely anti-white and anti-american though.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:15 pm
Im referring to calling a Jeep Cherokee, and the clip saying imagine the o u t r a g e if they called a Jeep "Jeep Jew". As if to say were way more sensitive to Jewish pain and make a bigger fuss about Jewish sensitivities than other minorities' pain and sensitivities.

Although Im not getting the connection of Jeep and Cheap, except for them sounding alike.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:17 pm
No, it isn't anti-Semitic. The context is that it's not good to use the expression "cheap Jew." However, I still find it problematic to use that analogy when there is no need to bring up negative stereotypes. It would make more sense to draw an analogy with another trivialization of a minority culture.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im referring to calling a Jeep Cherokee, and the clip saying imagine the o u t r a g e if they called a Jeep "Jeep Jew". As if to say were way more sensitive to Jewish pain and make a bigger fuss about Jewish sensitivities than other minorities' pain and sensitivities.

Although Im not getting the connection of Jeep and Cheap, except for them sounding alike.

Yes, you got it. The point is to raise awareness of Native Americans' pain and sensitivities. Just as you shouldn't use the expression "cheap Jew," you also shouldn't trivialize the Cherokee name. And "cheap" fits the rhyme and rhythm of the song. As I said above, I think a different analogy would work better.

seeker

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:40 pm
It's a rap. "Jeep Jew" fit the rhyme and rhythm. "Jeep African American" does not. The point was that Native Americans are objectified or something.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:54 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Don't think this anti-semitic.

The video is definitely anti-white and anti-american though.

I don't think I would call it anti-American, it is definitely a video that displays the controversy over how colonizers took over this country but seeing as how there were already people here in the Americas at the time - thus being American - it isn't anti-American. Also I don't think it's specifically anti-white; yes, white men came to this country and spread disease, murdered a ton of people, and stole their land but there wasn't anything in the video that I would consider "anti-white." Anti-colonization, definitely but that's a pretty easy thing to be against.

Reality

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:05 pm
In my opinion, the line was completely unnecessary. It is telling that cheep Jew was the racial epitaph the author chose to use.

And for such a PC piece of work I am shocked they are referring to Native people as Indians. Not appropriate at all!

zaq

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:39 pm
Certainly inappropriate and skating on very thin ice. They did this because they knew they could get away with it. Imagine the outrage if instead they had said "Jeep Muslim" .

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:44 pm
Totally inappropriate. Yes op you are correct. In general I find this video offensive, forget the jew line. It's not an educational video.

seeker

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:45 pm
zaq wrote:
Certainly inappropriate and skating on very thin ice. They did this because they knew they could get away with it. Imagine the outrage if instead they had said "Jeep Muslim" .

But they were saying it's NOT appropriate to say Jeep Jew. They were saying "Why is it OK to say Jeep Cherokee when it wouldn't be OK to say Jeep Jew?"

icedcoffee

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:53 pm
Wait, where is "cheap" coming in? I think posters here are mishearing where they say "Jeep." The lyrics on screen even say "Jeep." The video is saying it's inappropriate to call a car a "Jeep Cherokee" because the Cherokee are real people. So you shouldn't say "Jeep Cherokee" because it's obvious that we wouldn't say "Jeep Jew" or "Toyota Asian" or "Ford Blackperson."

seeker

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:25 pm
Look it may not be tasteful, but the question was is it anti-Jew and the answer is no. Nothing about the whole video in general was brilliant.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 5:14 pm
seeker wrote:
Look it may not be tasteful, but the question was is it anti-Jew and the answer is no. Nothing about the whole video in general was brilliant.

Relative who works for the public school system says these videos are used VERY heavily by teachers to make "teaching" kids this PC material, interesting to the kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics