Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do you stand wearing tights in hot weather?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

paperflowers

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:48 pm
I’ve gotten through it many summers by remembering that I’ve managed it before, including a summer in a place that is even hotter and humider than where I live.

Additionally, according to what I learned it’s not really Halacha, so knowing that it is a choice helps. That wouldn’t work for people who either hold it is Halacha or live in a community where it is absolutely unaccepted to go around bare legged.

Lots of maxi skirts, thigh highs, no control top.

A disclaimer is that last summer I was pregnant and hot and decided I didn’t care. I didn’t want another thing to kvetch about. But most of the day I was still working in a place where covering the legs was expected. I don’t know what I’ll do this summer.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:50 pm
Tights or stockings?

I wear stockings. It’s like wearing a bra, uncomfortable but just another thing we gotta do

bsy

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:55 pm
I hate tights and take them off as soon as I can. I started wearing thigh highs made by memoi. They have rubber on top and dont fall down. I wear loose cotton shorts and socks a lot too.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:19 pm
I’ve bought cheaper pantyhose (like Leggs brand) from Target and they are very flimsy and therefore more comfy. At least for me. They are cheaper than other brands but also probably rip quicker. No good control top either.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you wear full on tights or thigh highs/knee highs.

The older I get, the more uncomfortable I feel in restrictive and hot clothing like tights. I can handle them in the winter or fall, but in spring/summer...I just can't anymore...

So wear knee hi’s. What’s the problem?

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:25 pm
paperflowers wrote:
I’ve gotten through it many summers by remembering that I’ve managed it before, including a summer in a place that is even hotter and humider than where I live.

Additionally, according to what I learned it’s not really Halacha, so knowing that it is a choice helps. That wouldn’t work for people who either hold it is Halacha or live in a community where it is absolutely unaccepted to go around bare legged.

A disclaimer is that last summer I was pregnant and hot and decided I didn’t care. I didn’t want another thing to kvetch about. But most of the day I was still working in a place where covering the legs was expected. I don’t know what I’ll do this summer.
I

I like your paper flowered headband, paperflowers!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
So wear knee hi’s. What’s the problem?

The dreaded elastic and I hate the feel of nylon. It makes me cringe.

paperflowers

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I

I like your paper flowered headband, paperflowers!!

Thank you!

giselle

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The dreaded elastic and I hate the feel of nylon. It makes me cringe.

Have you tried the hanes thigh highs? The elastic is very comfortable and doesn’t dig in at all. Once I started wearing those I can never go back to stockings.

aliavi

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:00 pm
Warner’s makes a thin pair that Covers more than you would think and has a wide and soft waistband. Nylon with a slight cotton feel.

CiCi

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:13 pm
paperflowers wrote:

Where does it say you can't wear loose jeans if in today's society pants are also considered a women's beged? And it doesn't specifically say in the Torah that women need to cover their hair...b'kitzer, if you take everything apart you can do almost anything except eat chazer.

No Rav who paskened halacha which was included in the Shulchan Aruch would ever say you can go without tights in the street.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:30 pm
I only wear tights when I go "out" such as to simchos, work, shopping, or visit choshuve ppl. like not close family. Otherwise it's long slinky skirts with black socks in both summer and winter. So yeah, some days I'm getting "dressed" three times or more, but it's what I have to do: Wake up and dress casual. Send kids off, make supper. Get dressed for work. Come home, change into casual. Later in the day, a visit to the doctor, change back into short skirt and tights. Come home. Shower, get dressed to go to chasunah (remember those days?)

giselle

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:32 pm
CiCi wrote:
Where does it say you can't wear loose jeans if in today's society pants are also considered a women's beged? And it doesn't specifically say in the Torah that women need to cover their hair...b'kitzer, if you take everything apart you can do almost anything except eat chazer.

No Rav who paskened halacha which was included in the Shulchan Aruch would ever say you can go without tights in the street.

Completely 100% incorrect.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:41 pm
Also you can try "thigh rescue". It's like a deodorant stuck but for in between your thighs so they don't chafe. It's expensive, but a great product and much less bulky than bikers shorts!

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think I have a sensory issue in general where I hate the feel of certain material (like nylon) and restrictive clothing/fabrics. I like lightweight cotton, but all tights are elasticized to conform to your body and there is no breathing space for your skin. And sweat gets trapped in the tights - especially around the enclosed foot area. YUCK! I need to be free.

SAME! I stick to long maxi skirts/dresses with bike shorts and ankle socks. Life changing.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 5:26 pm
Someone here once suggested using deodorant spray or stick on your thighs to lessen the amount of sweating and I find it really helps

I was once at the kotel on a hot shavuos afternoon waiting in line for the ladies room and the girls in front of me were wondering out loud how they’d get their pantyhose down and up... and I just smiled to myself... I had sprayed deodorant ALLLLL over and it really really helped.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 5:33 pm
but can't you see the leg with anklets and maxi skirt. I wear black trouser socks and I have a really hard time with it Sad

paperflowers

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:32 pm
CiCi wrote:

There are different opinions.
But this wasn’t a halachic debate, it was a request for practical advice.

Edited to be more polite.

Last edited by paperflowers on Fri, May 15 2020, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:48 pm
I find gold bond medicated powder to be very helpful

paperflowers

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
but can't you see the leg with anklets and maxi skirt. I wear black trouser socks and I have a really hard time with it Sad

Even knee highs or knee socks with a maxi skirt might be more comfortable than tights.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics