Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholent--start with hot water, or cold?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:29 pm
I almost never make cholent, but I am this week. In terms of food safety and the meat, it is better to start with hot water or cold? I know if it's cold, it will be hours until the meat is cooked through, which makes me nervous. If it's hot, though, it might not cook evenly and be a different food safety problem. What is the safest way?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:39 pm
Cold

yidisheh mama

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:39 pm
I saute onions first, add the meat and let it brown for a couple of minutes. Then I add cold water and the beans. I never had an issue with food poisoning;)

Blessing1

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 3:43 pm
Cold water. It doesn't take so long for it to start to boil.

Elfrida

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 2:40 pm
Probably too late now, but are you making it in a crockpot or on the stove?

When I put boiling water in the crockpot it helps the crock to heat through, and makes the whole process slightly faster. The water cools down quite a lot before the crockpot is warm enough to sustain it at simmering point. On the other hand, it will take even longer with cold water.

On the stove they will both heat up quickly. If you start with boiling water it will heat up faster, but not a significant difference.

Ora in town

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 6:51 pm
Both possible...
In general, I start tschulent with cold water after roasting the onions & meat, but when I add water later, I prefer to add hot water, so that it can just go on cooking at the same temperature...
I make tchulent in a regular pot. When I add cold water, I bring it to boil immediately (takes bout 5 min).
Therefore, there is no risk of germs and bacteria.
All bacteria are killed as soon as boiling point is reached...
The risk would be more if you keep the tchulent on the stove under 60°C... it should be over 60°C to be secure...

zaq

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:23 pm
Makes no difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen