Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do you stand wearing tights in hot weather?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Elfrida

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 2:30 pm
I haven't worn tights since I was eight. I hated the way they felt, and just told my mother I wasn't going to wear them any more. She didn't believe in arguing about things like that, and brought me plenty of cotton socks (knee high). In my late teens I reluctantly transitioned to knee highs, and have worn them ever since. Sometimes go back to cotton in the winter.

My mother did insist that if I was wearing socks, my skirts had to be long enough that there was no gap between the top of the socks and my skirt, whatever activity I was doing. That was a compromise I could live with. I still stick to long skirts.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 9:41 pm
I have not worn pantyhose or tights in decades.

I work from home where I wear cotton knee socks. When going out (remember those days?) I put on knee high stockings. Interestingly enough, I found the opaque microfiber are more comfortable than those made of nylon, even though thicker. But I usually go from a/c house to a/c car to a/c store or wherever.

Of course all my skirts are long enough so nobody knows what is or isn't underneath.

And I have boy-short undies to keep the thigh chafing away. Though my favorite company seems to have discontinued the ones I like, and I may have to try different ones.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I have not worn pantyhose or tights in decades.

I work from home where I wear cotton knee socks. When going out (remember those days?) I put on knee high stockings. Interestingly enough, I found the opaque microfiber are more comfortable than those made of nylon, even though thicker. But I usually go from a/c house to a/c car to a/c store or wherever.

Of course all my skirts are long enough so nobody knows what is or isn't underneath.

And I have boy-short undies to keep the thigh chafing away. Though my favorite company seems to have discontinued the ones I like, and I may have to try different ones.

If you wear boy short undies and knee highs is it so different to wear tights?

SuperWify

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 10:34 pm
For the chaffing issue I wear biker shorts.

Most of my summer clothing are 2 piece midi calf skirts that I don’t wear anything with. With a shorter skirt I suffer.

If I didn’t live in Lakewood I wouldn’t wear tights at all in the summer but I respect the minhag here. The minute I go away though they are the first things to come off....

Last edited by SuperWify on Sat, May 16 2020, 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 10:44 pm
Quote:
If you wear boy short undies and knee highs is it so different to wear tights?
No comparison. The shorts aren't tight & they are cotton. Absorbent, etc.

Also at certain sizes it's impossible to get tights that are comfortable around the stomach & not saggy below...

amother
Wine

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:22 pm
ila wrote:
There are cotton shorts very thin like underwear specially for this

Do you have a link for this? Brand name?

ihyphenated

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:44 pm
I recently discovered snag brand tights and love them they fit great and are so comfy and durable
https://us.snagtights.com/

gold21

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:02 am
CiCi wrote:
Where does it say you can't wear loose jeans if in today's society pants are also considered a women's beged? And it doesn't specifically say in the Torah that women need to cover their hair...b'kitzer, if you take everything apart you can do almost anything except eat chazer.

No Rav who paskened halacha which was included in the Shulchan Aruch would ever say you can go without tights in the street.

Have you personally studied the halacha?

Your belief system a bit disappointing....

I go without tights in the street all the time. In the summer.

Many people in my neighborhood wear long skirts with short socks/no socks in the summer. Others wear shorter skirts (covering knees) with short socks/no socks in the summer.

Both are acceptable here, but the longer skirt is definitely considered preferable by some, and wearing short socks (as opposed to no socks), particularly when paired with a shorter skirt, is definitely considered preferable by many.

(And some don't cover their knees, and are not laughed out of town for it either, but they're the not the subject of this discussion).

I'm plenty tznius and know the halachos very well. I'm all about halachos (not chumras parading as halachos). In fact, my son was quizzing me on Hilchos Shabbos all day today. He was reading out of a lamed tes melachos sefer and I knew most of the answers. Smile I think I know my stuff, mostly. Thank you, Bais Yaakov system. I guess.

If we're gonna start playing the "my rabbi is right, yours is wrong" game, im happy to play. Let me know. Wink

Last edited by gold21 on Sun, May 17 2020, 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:27 am
CiCi wrote:
Where does it say you can't wear loose jeans if in today's society pants are also considered a women's beged? And it doesn't specifically say in the Torah that women need to cover their hair...b'kitzer, if you take everything apart you can do almost anything except eat chazer.

No Rav who paskened halacha which was included in the Shulchan Aruch would ever say you can go without tights in the street.

😂 at least you’re confident in your last statement.

FTR tights is minhag hamokom. Totally NOT a issur but rather a chumrah.

happyone

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:29 am
I cant wear socks. I feel naked without pantyhose. I'm way more comfy with than without.

crust

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:44 am
SuperWify wrote:
😂 at least you’re confident in your last statement.

FTR tights is minhag hamokom. Totally NOT a issur but rather a chumrah.

Tights is Minhag hamakom? It's barely 50 years old.
How can it be called Minhag hamakom? Which makom?

giselle

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:47 am
crust wrote:
Tights is Minhag hamakom? It's barely 50 years old.
How can it be called Minhag hamakom? Which makom?

Tights are more like 200 years old.
But yes it’s definitely minhag hamakom.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:54 am
giselle wrote:

No, tights/hosiery as they are now aren't that old. Women would wear something that looked like thigh highs, with a garter belt to hold them up. My grandmother still wore those, because that's what she knew and felt comfortable with.

crust

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:58 am
giselle wrote:

Ok. I see that the first tights was made in 1803. I'm talking about the use of it in the heimish communities.

My mother couldn't stand that we go with tights. She felt it's a lazy thing.

In any case where is tights Minhag hamakom?

You mean covering the feet are Minhag hamakom or is it davka covering the feet with tights? I honestly never heard this.

giselle

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
No, tights/hosiery as they are now aren't that old. Women would wear something that looked like thigh highs, with a garter belt to hold them up. My grandmother still wore those, because that's what she knew and felt comfortable with.

How does that affect the minhag hamakom? Who cares if they were thigh highs or not?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:59 am
crust wrote:
Ok. I see that the first tights was made in 1803. I'm talking about the use of it in the heimish communities.

You mean covering the feet are Minhag hamakom or is it davka covering the feet with tights? I honestly never heard this.

Ur mom expected you to wear the garter belt? Explain what you mean by lazy.

giselle

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:00 am
crust wrote:

Covering the LEGS between ankle and knee is based on minhag hamakom. Not sure what the story is with feet.

gold21

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:01 am
crust wrote:

Covering the ankle is halacha.

Covering the leg between ankle and knee is minhag hamakom.

Certainly, if the leg is being covered anyway by a long skirt paired with short socks/ knee socks, choosing to wear tights is minhag hamakom.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:01 am
giselle wrote:
How does that affect the minhag hamakom? Who cares if they were thigh highs or not?

Because if the minhag is to cover your legs, why does it need to be tights? Short socks and a long skirt does the job, too. Or knee socks and a long enough skirt. Etc.

crust

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:02 am
giselle wrote:
Covering the LEGS between ankle and knee is based on minhag hamakom. Not sure what the story is with feet.

So how is tights Minhag hamakom?
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics