Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do you stand wearing tights in hot weather?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

gold21

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:03 am
crust wrote:
So how is tights Minhag hamakom?

It's more like a chumrah that is based on minhag hamakom...

giselle

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:05 am
Lemon and crust you’re right. I thought the original
comment was referring to covering the legs at all. Obviously tights are not required by Halacha as they didn’t exist previously like you said.

crust

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Ur mom expected you to wear the garter belt? Explain what you mean by lazy.

Yes she felt that going without that is lazy. She didn't make us wear it though.

crust

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:07 am
gold21 wrote:
It's more like a chumrah that is based on minhag hamakom...

Again. Please explain.

Are you saying that there is a a Minhag hamakom to wear tights specifically?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:07 am
crust wrote:
Yes she felt that going without that is lazy. She didn't make us wear it though.

And here I thought pulling up tights instead of thigh highs was the opposite of lazy. Oy the yeridos hadoros LOL

gold21

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:10 am
crust wrote:
Again. Please explain.

Are you saying that there is a a Minhag hamakom to wear tights specifically?

Covering the leg between the ankle and the knee is considered Minhag Hamakom- if it is considered standard in your community, you are technically obligated to do so (but not necessarily obligated in the same way you would be for straight-up clear-cut halacha). It's not the same as a chumrah- it becomes more similar to true halacha for that specific makom.

As for using tights specifically to achieve the leg-coverage that is required in a certain makom, I use the term Minhag Hamakom loosely. Tights does not really fall into the category of Minhag Hamakom. Rather, it is a chumrah that has become the minhag of a certain makom. It falls under the category of halachic significance that any other chumrah falls under.... whereas true Minhag Hamakom is stricter, more like halacha in certain ways.

crust

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:33 am
gold21 wrote:
Covering the leg between the ankle and the knee is considered Minhag Hamakom- if it is considered standard in your community, you are technically obligated to do so (but not necessarily obligated in the same way you would be for straight-up clear-cut halacha). It's not the same as a chumrah- it becomes more similar to true halacha for that specific makom.

As for using tights specifically to achieve the leg-coverage that is required in a certain makom, I use the term Minhag Hamakom loosely. Tights does not really fall into the category of Minhag Hamakom. Rather, it is a chumrah that has become the minhag of a certain makom. It falls under the category of halachic significance that any other chumrah falls under.... whereas true Minhag Hamakom is stricter, more like halacha in certain ways.

I still don't understand how tights became Minhag hamakom? There is a way that a Minhag hamakom is established.

It is definitely not a Chumra either.

Just like you can't say that a one piece dress is a Chumra.

A dress is a method of covering yourself. Doesn't matter if its a one, two or three piece dress. As long as it covers you it serves its purpose.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:40 am
I usually wear long skirts because I can’t handle pantyhose... I love black tights in the winter. No thigh/knee highs with short skirts... it calls for a fashion disaster

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 4:52 am
I'm another one who wears shorts and knee highs.
Wayyy better. The shorts only need to cover half my thighs.

Skirts need to cover the knees, if they go up enough to show I'm wearing knee highs than it's too short.

I don't like the idea of tights, gives people the idea that one can see their knees, back of their knees or an inch or two higher when their skirt goes up because the area is covered with tights.

Oh, and I'm 22. I've been doing this since high school Smile No one seemed to notice or care in my Bais Yaakov.

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:21 am
I don't.
I can't stand nylon tights neither in Winter nor in summer.
In Summer, I wear longer skirts with knee hights.
In Winter, I wear warm leggings (often two layers) and boots...

Elfrida

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:50 am
Right now israel is in the middle of a heatwave. I am walking round the house (with no air conditioning) wearing a skirt and t-shirt, and with a braid hanging down my back. So far feeling quite comfortable.

Before leaving the house I will have to add:
Socks
Shoes
Slip
Shell
Snood

This will not happen before shikya, at around seven, when the temperature will sink.

ETA I should have added that I am alone in the house. Some of those garments will have to go on before anyone else comes back. But I still don't plan on going out before it gets dark.

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, May 17 2020, 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 5:57 am
gold21 wrote:
Covering the ankle is halacha..

Could you elaborate on that please? I'm about to leave the house in a long skirt, shoes, and no socks. My ankle may or may not show when I walk.

Why is that a big deal? Is there a problem with men seeing my ankle? Scratching Head

salt

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:04 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Could you elaborate on that please? I'm about to leave the house in a long skirt, shoes, and no socks. My ankle may or may not show when I walk.

Why is that a big deal? Is there a problem with men seeing my ankle? Scratching Head

As far as I know, covering the ankle (with socks or tights) is not halacha.
The gemara says "shok be-isha erva" - ankle is not mentioned.
In many places and communities, covering the ankle was an added chumra/minhag/whatever.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:19 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Skirts need to cover the knees, if they go up enough to show I'm wearing knee highs than it's too short.

I don't like the idea of tights, gives people the idea that one can see their knees, back of their knees or an inch or two higher when their skirt goes up because the area is covered with tights.

Oh, and I'm 22. I've been doing this since high school Smile No one seemed to notice or care in my Bais Yaakov.

I know many people who wear skirts well below knees but there can be an oops moment where you can see a gap... it has nothing to do with length of skirt unless it’s a skirt down to floor. It looks really strange when it happens.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Shorts and no skirt?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:09 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I know many people who wear skirts well below knees but there can be an oops moment where you can see a gap... it has nothing to do with length of skirt unless it’s a skirt down to floor. It looks really strange when it happens.

Okay but if your skirt goes up - wearing tights does not make it halachically better.
It's assur for men to see the shape of your legs and your thighs, it doesn't really matter if your thighs are naked, have shorts, have tights, or leggings - a man cannot see them.

So it really comes down to if you are akwarded out by people seeing your thighs without tights. I honestly don't see a difference between tights and shorts. Davka if my skirts goes up I'd prefer someone see leggings or shorts that are cotton and not so tight over see through tights that will show my underwear.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:13 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Shorts and no skirt?

Um...both?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:32 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Okay but if your skirt goes up - wearing tights does not make it halachically better.
It's assur for men to see the shape of your legs and your thighs, it doesn't really matter if your thighs are naked, have shorts, have tights, or leggings - a man cannot see them.

So it really comes down to if you are akwarded out by people seeing your thighs without tights. I honestly don't see a difference between tights and shorts. Davka if my skirts goes up I'd prefer someone see leggings or shorts that are cotton and not so tight over see through tights that will show my underwear.

You missed the point. Knee highs can fall down. Everyone that I know who wears them says this as well. I wear tights and never had my underwear show. I don’t understand why you wear shorts so people can possibly see that instead of underwear. As you stated it’s assur all around. This statement is extremely surprising coming from a frum woman. I wouldn’t want anyone seeing my thighs regardless of the covering or non covering.

If people are seeing your shorts it’s not a tights problem, it’s a problem with your own dress.

bsy

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:39 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Do you have a link for this? Brand name?

The brand ilusion makes thin cotton shorts they call pettipants.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
You missed the point. Knee highs can fall down. Everyone that I know who wears them says this as well. I wear tights and never had my underwear show. I don’t understand why you wear shorts so people can possibly see that instead of underwear. As you stated it’s assur all around. This statement is extremely surprising coming from a frum woman. I wouldn’t want anyone seeing my thighs regardless of the covering or non covering.

If people are seeing your shorts it’s not a tights problem, it’s a problem with your own dress.

Okay I'm NOT explaining myself well.

1. Not ALL knee highs fall down. If they do a bit, my skirts are long enough to cover that gap and I do pick them up once or twice a day.

2. I wear shorts because of chub rub (thighs rubbing together and making a rash) Also it's near impossible to find well fitted tights for me that don't droop a bit and create chub rub.

3. I don't want ANYONE seeing my shorts either! But I am an adventurous young woman. I climb trees, scale fences, jump from ledges, etc - if my skirts does go up (which is can) I feel more comfortable in cotton shorts than tights.

4. Also when there's one run on tights you gotta chuck them out. When there's a run on a knee high the other one is still good.

5. Knee highs are cheaper.

6. Knee highs are more comfortable.

I am just saying people I know with tights are often wearing skirts that JUST cover the knee, and don't realize when they go up as the whole area is covered with tights. When my skirts goes up I can FEEL it because I feel the skin exposed to the air and I think it makes you more careful about skirt length.

Of course I don't want to show my thighs..thoughts that was clear. I really made sure to wear midi skirts that won't go up over the knee when walking up stairs, getting out of cars etc.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics