Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Flies flies everywhere

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 3:14 pm
Any good easy old fashion advice for getting rid of flies? No matter how many times I remind the kids to keep the screen shut... somehow they still get in. I'm going crazy.
My house is relatively clean...
Big and small alike the flies seem to love it here. I finally get one out and two more come in.
I'm like, hello flies there's a whole big world out there why are you desperate to come in to my house the second the screen is left open??!

Rappel

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 3:19 pm
Yes. Fans. Flies don't like moving air - it makes it difficult for them to land. And there are fly zappers, or bored cats, if you care to take care of your current fly population.

DVOM

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 9:22 pm
I feel you girl. Our old, rambling farmhouse has a total of four doors on the ground floor, and with a woods and pond out back we were getting flies, dragonflies, ladybugs, mosquitoes... My kids were forever running in and out and leaving multiple doors wide open. The summer we bought the house my husband installed screen doors on hinges on all four doors, the kind that close automatically behind you. It helped a ton. We also had an extermination company come spray the woods.

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 9:33 pm
I put up a magnetic screen at the porch door. It closes automatically behind you after you walk through It. It's DIY with strong Velcro.

erm

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 10:12 pm
if I have fires in the house, I close all the lights in the house except for one in a bathroom and the flies go to the light. Once they are in the bathroom, I close the door and open the window. Sometimes I hold a small flashlight near the open window if it is very dark outside. They fly out. Works every time.

etky

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:56 am
erm wrote:
if I have fires in the house, I close all the lights in the house except for one in a bathroom and the flies go to the light. Once they are in the bathroom, I close the door and open the window. Sometimes I hold a small flashlight near the open window if it is very dark outside. They fly out. Works every time.

That is brilliant!
It's also nice that you don't actually have to kill them.
As I get older I find that killing insects unnecessarily is more disturbing to me than it used to be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics