Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do you use Plastic Storage containers (such as Tupperware)?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:07 am
Do you use Plastic Storage containers (such as Tupperware or Rubbermaid)?

https://earth911.com/living-we.....ners/

While BPA has been taken out of many plastics due to consumer demand, it has been routinely replaced with BPS, which may be even more toxic. Studies show that it’s now found in 81 percent of blood tested and that it can lead to ailments such as diabetes, obesity, asthma, birth defects and cancer. (Note: As of March 2010, items sold by Tupperware US and CA are BPA-free.) Just because something is labeled BPA-free doesn’t mean it’s safe.

https://www.health.harvard.edu.....ealth

Are you safe if you use plastics that are free of problematic chemicals such as phthalates and BPA?

Again, it's hard to say whether plastics that don't contain such chemicals are risk-free, says Dr. Hauser. Often what happens when a manufacturer removes a problematic ingredient from plastic is that it substitutes another chemical that we know little about, he says. For example, if a manufacturer takes phthalates out of its vinyl plastic recipe, it still needs something that will make the plastic soft, so it replaces the phthalates with another softening chemical. The problem is that often the new chemical hasn't been shown to be safer; there is just little or no evidence about its risk. "Initially, companies looking to avoid using BPA in products switched to a different chemical called bisphenol S, or BPS," he says. "Much less was known about it at the time. But more recently it's been shown to be harmful as well."

A 2011 study published in Environmental Health Perspectives reported that when scientists tested commercially available plastic products labeled as BPA-free, almost all of them leached out chemicals known to have estrogenic activity, meaning that they mimicked human estrogen. Some of the chemicals had even more estrogenic activity than the BPA they replaced.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:12 am
We generally use glass to store food.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:16 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
We generally use glass to store food.

Which brand/type?

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:24 am
Yes, a lot, but not tupperware...
I use them specially when I need to bring my lunch along...
I prefer rectangular boxes rather than round ones.
It is important that they seal properly... and that they are freezer resistent (use them also to make icecream)
I also have some that are microwave-compatible for my lunches...

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which brand/type?

I bought a long time ago from Target and Costco (round for milchig, square / rectangular for fleishig) . I think the round ones are anchor brand. I'm not sure about the square brands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics