Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dd rushes thru all the activities I prepare for her

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 4:16 pm
Shes a kid who needs a lot of stimulation so I make sure to have 2-3 activities prepared for her especially bec she has no distance learning. Im also happy to sit and help her when necessary but I find she doesnt enjoy much of anything. She rushes thru things super fast and then says, what's next. Shell scribble if something needs to be colored, shell cut very messy.. today I gave her stickers and she basically just slapped them on. How can I get her to give an activity her all? Instead of just trying to get it over with? Im trying so hard!

cbg

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 4:23 pm
Do you think she will like play dough activities
There are aleph bet play dough sheets on chinch.org
And you can do the same with numbers and abc
You can make your own playdough

You can also make your own finger paint - a bit more messy

Maybe do more movement activities look on YouTube

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 4:46 pm
cbg wrote:
Do you think she will like play dough activities
There are aleph bet play dough sheets on chinch.org
And you can do the same with numbers and abc
You can make your own playdough

You can also make your own finger paint - a bit more messy

Maybe do more movement activities look on YouTube

Thx. We did play dough today. I actually have those sheets and I've gotten amazing ideas and print outs on chinuch.org. problem with sensory activities is that if we do it often then there is no excitement. I threw out my plau doh for pesach and got new ones yesterday so she was looking fwd to it. Even then we only got about a half hr out of it..

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 4:51 pm
What about using a countdown timer (the type that lets little kids "see" the time by making the color get less and less as time goes on )? Set the timer so she could see how long she has till the next activity. If she finishes before it's done, don't entertain her till it's finished so she will eventually learn there's no point in rushing. Start with short time periods and eventually up it the realistic amount of time the activity should take.

lilies

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 4:53 pm
It might be too exciting for her nervous system, knowing there's another activity coming up.

anonymrs

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 5:23 pm
How old is she?

cbg

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 6:21 pm
You can also string Cheerios
If you are using yarn you can dip the end in glue and let it dry. It makes a hard tip which will make it easier

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 6:24 pm
lilies wrote:
It might be too exciting for her nervous system, knowing there's another activity coming up.

This. Maybe dont tell her there is anything "next" let her savour it because when jts done shel go back to being bored. And perhaps an hour or two later do another activity. If she asked what's next be vague.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 6:36 pm
What does she want to work on? Are the activities things you think she would enjoy but aren’t her idea of fun?

Tzippy323

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 6:47 pm
You don’t mention her age, but she doesn’t necessarily need to. Use a kitchen timer. Set the time you want her to spend on an activity. Explain that if she does, it will be beautiful. Before you do the activity, let the timer go for the full amount of time so she will have a feel for it. Explain that she should think, do, look. Show her how that works.
What do I have to do? Cut on the line.
Where is the line? Where should I start?
Make two cuts. Stop
Look at what has been done. Can I continue?

I’m sure you can do it. Praise, praise, praise, even if she finishes before the timer rings, and especially if it takes her longer to finish. Use the timer on an activity you are going to do...washing the lunch dishes. Do you need more time? Show her that pacing will make a big difference. Hatzlocha, and remember that she has a talent that you and she will eventually discover.

Stars

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 6:53 pm
Let her be bored for a bit.
Have her present you with a list of more activities she can do.
You should not be entertaining her every second of the day.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 6:58 pm
Paper chains
It’s something you can work on and add on hang them up in her room
And it if it lasts until Sukkot hang them up in the SUKKA

hi dear

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:11 pm
Kinetic sand occupied my little one for a while

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:21 pm
More activities isn't the answer.
She needs to be more Independent.
And boredom breeds creativity too
How old is she

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:38 pm
Can you set up all of the activities at once for her, and let her know that these are all of her activities for today?

It may also help to give her a schedule, but NOT specify in which order to do activities. Let her decide on her own.

For example:

Wake up
Dressed
Breakfast
Daven
Activities or Free Play
Snack - crackers & cheese
Walk with Mommy around the block
Lunch - fish sticks
Activities or Free Play
Outdoor time - scooter or ball
Help get ready for dinner
Dinner
Quiet reading time
Bath
Bed

naomi2

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:24 am
Stop preparing so many activities for her.

Do only one or two a day. The rest of the time let her occupy herself. Not saying to not give her attention, just you don't have to coach her at activities all day. If she has trouble coming up with ideas, make a list together with her of things she can do when be she is bored. Hang in in the fridge. Tell her to look at the list and choose something if she complains she's bored during the day.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:43 am
I was like this as a kid. But you know what- my mom was always rushing through everything nd I just picked it up from her.

It's really important to teach your dd to slow down and enjoy things. All this rushing caused a lot of problems in my life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics