Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
AMERICAN cheesecake recipe needed!

jerusalem90

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 10:13 am
I'm sick of Israeli cheesecake! It's barely sweet, not that cream-cheesy, and often served warm.

I want a typical "American" style cheesecake --- really sweet, tastes like cream cheese, baked in the oven but then served cold --

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, can you share please?

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 10:21 am
The cheesecake from Junior's in Brooklyn is pretty much the Platonic ideal of cheesecakes - the "crust" can vary as my mother's variation used graham cracker crust at the bottom

https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....35432

Lindy's cheesecake was also famous as a cheese cake in that style

http://www.wiveswithknives.net.....cake/

There is an Italian variant which uses drained ricotta cheese and is less sweet than the "Jewish" style cheesecake made with cream cheese

liveandlove.ima

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 10:22 am
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-7125

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:47 am
Do you have access to cream cheese?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:59 am
Cream Cheese Cheese-Cake Recipe:

2 8 oz SOLID cream cheese blocks (not whipped)
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
9" graham cracker crust

Beat cream cheese with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Pour into graham cracker
crust. Bake 350 for about 45 minutes. Let cool completely than refrigerate covered.

YUM!!!

giselle

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:00 pm
So curious what an Israeli cheesecake is like. I find most cheesecakes way too sweet. Can you post a recipe?

yonah

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:14 pm
Please look up Junior's Cheesecake copycat recipe. I think I use the one in particular on food52. It's outstanding. Gad 30% is the best choice for this, but Napolean 25% does a fine job too.

avrahamama

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:15 pm
Amarante I'm wondering if you're a good writer in the "real world". You really do know your stuff.

jerusalem90

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do you have access to cream cheese?

Yes, that's no problem

israelmama

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:33 pm
giselle wrote:
So curious what an Israeli cheesecake is like. I find most cheesecakes way too sweet. Can you post a recipe?

Most of the Israeli cheesecakes that I’ve tasted were are a more watery cheese dessert. Not as good as American cheesecake!

jerusalem90

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:57 pm
giselle wrote:

I don't have a recipe, maybe someone else does. It is sweet, not savory, but not nearly as sweet as the typical American cheesecakes. I think they put some flour in it because the texture is "off".

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:07 pm
I wanted to add that even if the recipe doesn't specify, cheesecake should be baked in a Bain Marie or "water bath". You put the pan holding the cheesecake batter in a larger pan which has warm water. This creates both a steam oven and also ensures that the sides of the cheesecake are baked more gently.

And most springform pans aren't waterproof so wrap the pan in tinfoil so that the water doesn't leak into the pan Very Happy

bu2ybee

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 3:01 pm
it took me 5 yrs !!!! but I worked it out!! Try get hold of 30% cream cheese . They usually bring some out before shavous. take the cheese and leave it overnight in a cheese cloth over a seive over a bowl (you can buy them in any supermarket or use a burp cloth ) This will take out a lot of excess water from the cheese which gives israeli cheesecakes that watery light consistency .

I use
4 blocks cream cheese
1 and half cups sugar
beat together
add
4 eggs - one at a time
then
1 tsp vanilla sugar
make sure no lumps

bake in a water bath at 150 until it wobbles like jello take out and leave to cool on counter. place in fridge overnight. slice and enjoy !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics